Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oscar 2020 Nominations

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Oscar 2020 Nominations

Old 15-01-2020, 06:58   #16
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Oscar 2020 Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
True although the Oscars aren't as influenced by box office numbers that much so it's less of a disadvantage. There is now a lot more money for 'mid-tier' films. Greta Gerwig did well with Ladybird both critically and commercially so she was given a bigger budget for Little Women which has also been a success.

Patty Jenkins has been mentioned too, she'll is getting DC money for Wonder Woman 1984. The sisters behind the Matrix would have no problem getting funding either.

So it is slowly changing. It's mostly the official awards that allude them for now. Reviews and commercial success is largely there.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Anyway I think this year there is a genuine toss-up for Best Picture. Could be: 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman or Joker IMO.
l hope they give the Best Picture to The Joker but somehow l doubt that they will.
Old 15-01-2020, 19:13   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Oscar 2020 Nominations

I'll let you know when I have seen it. I have made a list of 15 films I want to work my way through including all of those nominated for best picture. I watched 1917 today and thought it was very average. The best thing about it was the way it was filmed. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a true story I would say don't bother watching it. I hope there are a few surprises in the bunch but the ones I am looking forward to watching the most atm are The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood. I don't know anything about the character/person but I love Tom Hanks.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 20:55   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I really liked 1917. It's not just the impressive technical achievement but the way it looks, the tension, the music and the way you're involved with these specific characters all the way though it.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood I enjoyed but be warned it's a very slow burner as a film. It's mostly about the environment, the relationships and the characters rather than a story that hooks you in.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood is also good and interestingly Tom Hanks and the character of Mister Rodgers are supporting the main character and actor whose a man going though a hard time that develops a friendship with Mr Rodgers. Rogers himself is only explored though this journalists eyes so it's different to what I was expecting.

As for the others I have seen of the 'Best Picture' candidates I would rank em:

1. 1917
2. Joker
3. JoJo Rabbit
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Little Women
6. Ford vs Ferrari

Need to watch Parasite. Will try and watch The Irishman but 3 hours - urh.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 21:41   #19
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

You need to watch The Irishman in two parts in my opinion as we took a tea break for a fair while and then watched the second half.
Old 15-01-2020, 22:05   #20
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I should have caught it whilst it was in the cinema. I don't have the attention span unless I am forced by the environment to commit to it.
Old 21-01-2020, 22:51   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You need to watch The Irishman in two parts in my opinion as we took a tea break for a fair while and then watched the second half.
tell me about it, I thought Once Upon a Time was enough at 3 hours but when I saw The Irishman was three and a half hours I took a deep breath. I will watch it all in one go but it is going to be during the day on a day off. I think the only films I have ever watch which are that long are the extended editions of LOTR and maybe the extended edition of one other film which I can't remember.
Old 22-01-2020, 06:16   #22
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
tell me about it, I thought Once Upon a Time was enough at 3 hours but when I saw The Irishman was three and a half hours I took a deep breath. I will watch it all in one go but it is going to be during the day on a day off. I think the only films I have ever watch which are that long are the extended editions of LOTR and maybe the extended edition of one other film which I can't remember.
Even the LOTR extended versions l watched in 2 parts as 4 hours is more then enough in one go for any film watcher.
Old 28-01-2020, 21:26   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Statements like this just irritate me

https://news.sky.com/story/stephen-k...folks-11920163
Old 01-02-2020, 13:58   #24
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

With Avengers:Endgame up for a Best Gisual Effects Oscar, I found this interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/techno...visual-effects
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 19:44   #25
General Maximus
Ran Away

everyone should watch this, it is really really good:

Old 04-02-2020, 21:16   #26
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Old 04-02-2020, 21:55   #27
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

It's this Sunday too. No one is expecting any surprises although maybe Parasite could pull a shock and win Best Picture.
Old 04-02-2020, 22:15   #28
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's this Sunday too. No one is expecting any surprises although maybe Parasite could pull a shock and win Best Picture.
l hope you got money on it.
Old 04-02-2020, 22:56   #29
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l hope you got money on it.
Not worth the odds.
Old 07-02-2020, 19:56   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away