Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Asus rt-n56u

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Asus rt-n56u

Old 19-12-2012, 23:41   #16
offmore
cf.member

offmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Asus rt-n56u

can an one give me the name of a resonably priced route that will get me near my 100meg wireless up from bettween 30 and 50mb to near than what i am paying for . fed with talking to virgin about it they say that is about right
tried it various times of the day, they say it is my engry saving lights but mostly when i am online the lights are off , evn my wired speed has never recahed 100mg is is usualy in the low 80s , so i am going to put the hub in modem mode and get a router, please do not go to techincal when tell me and i only have pc and laptop and windows phone conected to my network,
offmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2012, 23:49   #17
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I dont know that much about networking but I read on here I'm sure it was about laptops that the Wifi on them will only do around 75megs? might be wrong like but sure I read it somewhere

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Me too. No need for the 66. It's a lot more expensive then the 56.

Did you do the new firmware update that changed the UI looks a lot better makes it a lot more easier in my opinion.

Also the client checker updates a lot faster now than it did before
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 23:59   #18
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmore View Post
can an one give me the name of a resonably priced route that will get me near my 100meg wireless up from bettween 30 and 50mb to near than what i am paying for . fed with talking to virgin about it they say that is about right
tried it various times of the day, they say it is my engry saving lights but mostly when i am online the lights are off , evn my wired speed has never recahed 100mg is is usualy in the low 80s , so i am going to put the hub in modem mode and get a router, please do not go to techincal when tell me and i only have pc and laptop and windows phone conected to my network,
Hi offmore

You've read the debate here on the SUS routers and you've seen the prices. Are they "reasonabl" in your mind? You didn't define "reasoonable".

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I dont know that much about networking but I read on here I'm sure it was about laptops that the Wifi on them will only do around 75megs? might be wrong like but sure I read it somewhere

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:45 ----------

Did you do the new firmware update that changed the UI looks a lot better makes it a lot more easier in my opinion.

Also the client checker updates a lot faster now than it did before
Hi Gav

Which firmware version do you mean? I haven't updated it for some months.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 01:26   #19
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260
1. After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.260 and restarting your router, please press the reset button for more than 5 seconds to reset the system to the default settings.
2. The original download master is not compatible with new firmware. Please uninstall the download master utility in computer and remove the "Complete", "InComplete" folder in the hard drive plugged in RT-N56U usb port.
3. Upgrade to the latest ASUSWRT user interface
4. Enhanced QoS feature
5. Web based download master
6. PPTP VPN server
7. Flexible on-line time control for different client

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

And this was the last update they did after......

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.318
Fixed
1. DDNS registry problem after upgraded firmware from 1.0.1.8.x to 3.0.0.4.x
2. IPTV UI bugs
3. Server-U UPnP issue
4. UI bugs for mobile device

Modified
1. Update wireless driver
2. Add multicast setting for airprint/airplay
//3. allow empty gateway for Static IP + VPN in Russia
4. Add more 3G dongle support: SWU-3220A, SWC-U200, dongles from FreshsTel in Ukraine, YES in Malaysia
Old 20-12-2012, 04:04   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I have the N56U can't say I have ever come across any problems and as the OP says the WIFI is fantastic on it.
Yes but it's better on the N66U

The DIR-615 will easily do "near 100meg" under good conditions. And probably even under not-so-good conditions in non-standards-compliant mode.

Failing that you'll have to go for 5Ghz and just about any 5Ghz "N" router should have no problems reaching 100.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 05:17   #21
ranxzy
Inactive

ranxzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I also recently stuck the Superhub in modem mode and got an Asus RT-N65U for £96 and it really has improved the throughput, range and reliability heaps over the Superhub.
ranxzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 13:22   #22
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Yeah I looked at some reviews on the N66U but a lot were saying that unless you want 200feet range then you might as well just stick with a cheaper modem.

I've never tried the N56U outside the house for range I might do that see how far it can extend but upstairs the furthest bedroom from the router which is a laptop gets around 70meg on speed net so dont consider that bad at all.

For the 5ghz setting I was under the impression that only some mobile phones could access that setting? I dont think laptops have caught up with 5ghz wifi yet?
Old 20-12-2012, 13:34   #23
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Real decent router you got there. Just a question. Amazon has the RT-N56U for £80.99 and the RT-N66U for £108.79. Did you consider the RT-N66U ?
that is cheap, 2 weeks ago the 66u was £130 which put me off it. I maybe would have brought it for £108 possibly, I paid £70 for the n16u.

Also yes the issue with 5ghz is the wireless clients also have to be able to use it.

For ages I used 40mhz on 2.4ghz, then I dropped it back to 20mhz when my phone started having issues with it and discovered I only get about an extra 5% or so performance from the dual channel I assume due to mass interference, in my area is 16 wireless networks on 2.4ghz including 3 40mhz ones. I can get about 70-75mbit throughput tho on it which confuses me as articles state on 20mhz wireless N throughput should be much lower.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 19:09   #24
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

another vote for the n56u. had it for quite some time now (April 2012) and I can't fault it. massive performance increase over the 'superhub', which is now in modem mode. plus, I've only restarted the asus about 6 times since owning it, and that's down to me upgrading firmware. unlike the superhub which literally needed restarts about 2 to 3 times a week because it would lock up or stop passing traffic over wifi.
Old 20-12-2012, 19:29   #25
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

the 56u I dont like the design.

16u and 66u better designs.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 21:41   #26
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
the 56u I dont like the design.

16u and 66u better designs.
to be honest, I don't sit there looking at it. I was more interested in it's performance and features!!
Old 21-12-2012, 07:49   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
For the 5ghz setting I was under the impression that only some mobile phones could access that setting? I dont think laptops have caught up with 5ghz wifi yet?

Most laptops have had it for the past decade. Except ultra-cheap ones. Phones are the ones catching up but most high-end smartphones have it too and so do most premium tablets.

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I only get about an extra 5% or so performance from the dual channel I assume due to mass interference
Doesn't have to be interference. 40Mhz will switch itself off if it detects any overlapping networks in the area, even non-interfering ones. I think it's a bit stupid.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote