Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | U.S, UK and France Launch Missile Strikes in Syria

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

U.S, UK and France Launch Missile Strikes in Syria

Old 15-04-2018, 18:00   #121
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: U.S, UK and France Launch Missile Strikes in Syria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
If posting a news item then a link to where it came from is helpful, unlike you.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Developing:- U.S Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley says the U.S is Preparing a New round of Sanctions on Russia for it's support of Syria. Will be announced tomorrow.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/14/p...kes/index.html
Quote:
The United States is locked and loaded," she said. "When our President draws a red line, our President enforces a red line."
Haley blasted Russia for protecting Syria and said Moscow has emboldened Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime to continue its attacks, while the Russian ambassador to the UN said Washington had embarked on an "illegal military adventure."
Old 15-04-2018, 18:00   #122
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

If posting a news item then a link to where it came from is helpful, unlike you.
Excuse me, it did NOT come from anywhere at the time, it was on the news on the TV at the time of posting it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 18:03   #123
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Excuse me, it did NOT come from anywhere at the time, it was on the news on the TV at the time of posting it.
Well my quoted post was not directed at you. Might just be worth stating where it came from then.
Old 15-04-2018, 21:05   #124
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Before the bombing started, l had calls at the door from local councillors regarding the local elections.
A Tory councillor that l spoke with said that he and his colleagues were hoping that TM would do the honourable thing and recall parliament, to seek permission from the house to commence the alliance with the US and France.

He believed that TM will be fighting for her door by going along with DT. Who we know has gone into this 'war' without using his head.

At the end of the day, the UK. Can be targeted by 'silent' Russian hit squads and hit the shores of the UK.

As we all know it easy to get into the UK.

I would love to watch PM QT. But l have other better things to do and then watch an argument in Parliament and TM trying to answer the big question ' why did you go into battle with US and France without our permission. Which some have said is illegal
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 21:19   #125
RizzyKing

We can be targeted they can be targeted everyone can be targeted and that's always been the case so it changes nothing. If the UK becomes too scared to act because of repercussions then we really are a small nation and would be better off out of anything risky we should get out of NATO as that's risky good job we are getting out of the EU that was one big risk and the UK is now out of the risk business. Appeasement always sounds good in the short term trouble is in the medium to longterm it costs more lives, money and time assad and putin being left alone to do whatever they want isn't good for anyone.
Old 15-04-2018, 23:01   #126
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

I would love to watch PM QT. But l have other better things to do and then watch an argument in Parliament and TM trying to answer the big question ' why did you go into battle with US and France without our permission. Which some have said is illegal
Her Majesty's government has royal prerogative powers, the government is the executive and can issue commands to the military without Parliamentary approval.

When then Prime Minister, David Cameron's vote in 2013 to strike Syria was defeated, he honoured that vote but he didn't have to do so, legally. He could have had the vote, lost as he did and still took military action.

Seeking parliamentary approval has become the standard convention, but they are not necessarily legally enforceable.

This is why you have the apparent Putin appeaser, Corbyn, trying to suggest creating a War Power Act, that requires a vote in the house, to pass any legal test in the future that requires Parliament to approve military action. I think such an Act would bog us down in litigation, while meanwhile we are having bombs thrown over our heads.

But as for May ordering a strike with our allies this weekend, she is legally protected in the sense that a Parliamentary approval may be circumvented to protect either, i)Critical national interests, ii)Prevent humanitarian catastrophe, or iii) In self-defence.

I would say a foreign regime, such as Syria using Chemical weapons comes under "prevent humanitarian catastrophe', which Theresa May will have to justify tomorrow when she speaks in the Commons and likely use this line of passing the legal test for the military strike.
Old 16-04-2018, 07:07   #127
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Her Majesty's government has royal prerogative powers, the government is the executive and can issue commands to the military without Parliamentary approval.

When then Prime Minister, David Cameron's vote in 2013 to strike Syria was defeated, he honoured that vote but he didn't have to do so, legally. He could have had the vote, lost as he did and still took military action.

Seeking parliamentary approval has become the standard convention, but they are not necessarily legally enforceable.

This is why you have the apparent Putin appeaser, Corbyn, trying to suggest creating a War Power Act, that requires a vote in the house, to pass any legal test in the future that requires Parliament to approve military action. I think such an Act would bog us down in litigation, while meanwhile we are having bombs thrown over our heads.

But as for May ordering a strike with our allies this weekend, she is legally protected in the sense that a Parliamentary approval may be circumvented to protect either, i)Critical national interests, ii)Prevent humanitarian catastrophe, or iii) In self-defence.

I would say a foreign regime, such as Syria using Chemical weapons comes under "prevent humanitarian catastrophe', which Theresa May will have to justify tomorrow when she speaks in the Commons and likely use this line of passing the legal test for the military strike.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:51   #128
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Quite right, Mick. Some people just want delay in an effort to avoid getting involved at all. In a situation like this, you need to respond immediately, not weeks or months later. Of course, where Corbyn is concerned, it would be never. The evidence he wants would have to be detailed forensic evidence that left not a single ridiculous argument left to argue.

Our justice system requires proof that is 'beyond reasonable doubt', and we certainly have at least that level of proof about Assad's involvement in this latest gas attack. You have to be pretty naive to believe that anyone else can be responsible for this evil deed.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:01   #129
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Quite right, Mick. Some people just want delay in an effort to avoid getting involved at all. In a situation like this, you need to respond immediately, not weeks or months later. Of course, where Corbyn is concerned, it would be never. The evidence he wants would have to be detailed forensic evidence that left not a single ridiculous argument left to argue.

Our justice system requires proof that is 'beyond reasonable doubt', and we certainly have at least that level of proof about Assad's involvement in this latest gas attack. You have to be pretty naive to believe that anyone else can be responsible for this evil deed.
I don't think those who want to debate it necessarily all want to kick it into the long grass though I suspect JC does. Those I've heard on the radio say that a precedent has been set for a Parliamentary vote on such matters and Parliament could have been recalled to avoid delaying any action. Constitutionally, as Mick has pointed out, Theresa May was perfectly within her powers not to do so.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:05   #130
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Corbyn’s stance has been nothing short of pathetic. This man would be a danger to Britain, if he was PM. But most of us sane people know that.
Old 16-04-2018, 13:52   #131
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Corbyn’s stance has been nothing short of pathetic. This man would be a danger to Britain, if he was PM. But most of us sane people know that.
You'd think his supporters would have grasped that by now.

I am disheartened by the continuing support that this weak man is getting. For the first time in my life, I am beginning to distrust the wisdom of the electorate. In all previous elections, I have understood the reasons why people have voted as they have. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether the effect of Twitter and social media by reducing everything to soundbites are incapacitating the population in such a way that they can no longer reason for themselves or cope with any detail behind the hysteria.
Old 16-04-2018, 14:01   #132
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You'd think his supporters would have grasped that by now.

I am disheartened by the continuing support that this weak man is getting. For the first time in my life, I am beginning to distrust the wisdom of the electorate. In all previous elections, I have understood the reasons why people have voted as they have. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether the effect of Twitter and social media by reducing everything to soundbites are incapacitating the population in such a way that they can no longer reason for themselves or cope with any detail behind the hysteria.
That's quite sad - just because some people have a different viewpoint, doesn't make them "unable to reason for themselves".

Have you thought that they might think the same about you?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 14:38   #133
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That's quite sad - just because some people have a different viewpoint, doesn't make them "unable to reason for themselves".

l am certainly no fan of Jeremy Corbyn but its insulting and patronising that those who have a different viewpoint as you pointed out are insulted and belittled by some Hugh.
Old 16-04-2018, 19:12   #134
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Just saw this tweet on Corbyn on the Syria strikes and I declare it the tweet of the day....

"Jeremy Corbyn is always wrong. Yesterday he was wrong. Last week he was wrong. 35 years ago he was wrong. He's wrong about everything - he picks the wrong side, he supports the wrong people, he says the wrong things. And this afternoon, again, he got it totally and utterly wrong." Tim Dawson, BBC Comedy Writer.
Old 16-04-2018, 19:44   #135
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

We are talking about Jeremy Corbyn here, Hugh.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l am certainly no fan of Jeremy Corbyn but its insulting and patronising that those who have a different viewpoint as you pointed out are insulted and belittled by some Hugh.
What, who think JC should be PM? Sorry, but there's no excuse....