Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

Old 13-07-2017, 19:23   #46
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
I'm on Telf13 and still 2x16QAM.
Ah ok. My dad's is on Telf13 and that is on QAM64 now. Perhaps it's done node by node?
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2017, 08:23   #47
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Seems my 4th upstream channel vanished the other day, so now back at 3. Still only 8 downstream channels, but as during off-peak, this still delivers 200. Peak is another matter (approx 15-40), but that's a discussion for another thread.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 14:48   #48
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
it is a shame Igni isn't around to provide more info, I haven't seen him in ages.
This had better be really good. What's up General?

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Incidentally, if one channel is on 16QAM then that will drag the overall upstream capacity down. 16QAM has 4 bits per symbol & 64QAM has 6 bits per symbol. But because a data packet is split across all the upstream channels, it can only be reassembled at the bit density rate of the slowest channel.
A packet will almost always go on a single channel. Remember that the modem receives its grants in 2 or 4 ms increments, the CMTS scheduler tries to service each request on a single upstream, and what the minimum and maximum burst sizes are.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

So there is a programme to get all areas up to 4 upstreams, targeting 64QAM but obviously the modulations will respond to SNR drops on the channels.

Getting 4 upstreams at 64QAM requires either DFB lasers in the nodes or digitised return paths. In some areas nodes and amplifiers need replacing.

There are also issues in hubsites with regards to space and power. There are some areas where it took some quite extreme measures to get new CMTS in, or they haven't been installed yet and area awaiting those extreme measures. These will not have any space for new optics so will need some equipment and intelligence moved out into the field via Remote PHY and other options in the Distributed CCAP deployments.

It is possible to cram 4 upstreams into a 42MHz network but tricky, and areas that have this limitation have run out of downstream bandwidth anyway. There's also the problem of the legacy set top boxes and modems that need to be gotten rid of.

There are no plans to get all tiers onto 10:1 ratios, but some of them it's certainly doable.

Once areas are onto 24 downstream channels that's the end of the upgrades on that score. 4 upstream channels is not necessarily the end-game there.

DOCSIS 3.1 rollout will not be using 3.1 upstreams initially, it will use the same upstreams as the 3.0 network. This is not unusual, I'm not aware of any 3.1 deployments in the USA and Canada, where they are ahead of us, that are using 3.1 upstreams.

Business are likely to get higher speeds somewhat before residential.

Last edited by Ignitionnet; 13-08-2017 at 14:51.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 17:35   #49
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

long time no see, welcome back
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 17:53   #50
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

[/QUOTE]
Getting 4 upstreams at 64QAM requires either DFB lasers in the nodes or digitised return paths. In some areas nodes and amplifiers need replacing.
[/QUOTE]

I've haven't worked on the network for a while, so could be wrong but I believe the digital returns for some reason can only go up to 65mhz, so VM are trying to move away from them. They are only used in segmentable nodes anyway. Although it's been a good 18 months so the situation may have changed!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 18:16   #51
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
I've haven't worked on the network for a while, so could be wrong but I believe the digital returns for some reason can only go up to 65mhz, so VM are trying to move away from them. They are only used in segmentable nodes anyway. Although it's been a good 18 months so the situation may have changed!
Yeah indeed. Newer nodes have field replaceable diplexers that can switch from a 5-85MHz mid-split to a 5-200MHz high-split return path.

The plan going forward is to push towards Remote PHY, where there's a 10Gb Ethernet link to the node and the only RF segment is from node outwards, rather than sending an analogue carrier down the fibre. This will improve RF performance to the home and substantially reduces space requirements in the hub site.

Will require more power than existing nodes, though may be compensated for by improved power supplies and replacements of active amplifiers with nodes.
Old 13-08-2017, 19:42   #52
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

I have heard about the 10gb Ethernet delivery to the cabinet. I also know the potential delivery method. Although I believe it is aimed at business customers rather than resi. But things change over time so who knows
Old 13-08-2017, 20:17   #53
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
I have heard about the 10gb Ethernet delivery to the cabinet. I also know the potential delivery method. Although I believe it is aimed at business customers rather than resi. But things change over time so who knows
The 10G backhauls will be replacing the analogue laser run. The RF will be generated at the node, the node takes the place of the optical transmitter and receiver that are in the hubsite.
Old 13-08-2017, 21:26   #54
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I'm just wondering when my area will actually see any upgrades after seemingly languishing for years. there's no 300Mb yet, upload is still on 2x QAM16, the CMTS is a RiverDelta hunk of junk with the current single thread download speed issues that I and other people in the area have had to deal with since last year. Tbb places this area as bottom of the chart for VM performance now, when it used to be one of the best.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 21:32   #55
vm_tech
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
I'm just wondering when my area will actually see any upgrades after seemingly languishing for years. there's no 300Mb yet, upload is still on 2x QAM16, the CMTS is a RiverDelta hunk of junk with the current single thread download speed issues that I and other people in the area have had to deal with since last year. Tbb places this area as bottom of the chart for VM performance now, when it used to be one of the best.
All CMTS's will be one of 2 different types eventually. Where are you?
Old 13-08-2017, 21:34   #56
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Quote:
All CMTS's will be one of 2 different types eventually. Where are you?
I'm in Dover, should have mentioned it.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:43   #57
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Am I right in thinking that if I'm on 24 downstream channels then I'm on the newer, upgraded hardware?
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:51   #58
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
Am I right in thinking that if I'm on 24 downstream channels then I'm on the newer, upgraded hardware?
Yep, either a Arris E6000 or a Cisco cBR-8.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 15:12   #59
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
I'm in the same boat. 24 downstreams but only 2 x QAM16 upstreams. The other week the postcode checker said 300Mb was available but now that's disappeared and it now says 200Mb.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 15:49   #60
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I'll see what I can find out regarding Dover hub site.

With regards to bonding 4 upstreams not a clue what the hold up is. There are plenty of areas that are perfectly capable but just haven't had the configuration rolled out and it's holding things up.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Dover is proving a real pain in the everything.

Should be upgraded within the next 2.5 months.