Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-06-2008, 23:55   #9001
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi All, With a LOT of help from my son! How do you like this?!

Dave.
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2008, 23:56   #9002
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeak View Post
Sorry no offense meant. I was joking as popper suggests. It's removed.
Many thanks for this and for showing yourself open to reasoned debate. I take my hat off.

Do you think you could add your voice to those contacting the EU Commission on this issue and suggest that your readers may like to do likewise?
Old 16-06-2008, 00:02   #9003
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecpc View Post
I disagree that "Non LLU ADSL ISPs may be subject to PHORM" because they use BT Wholesale whereas the PHORM equipment will be in BT RETAIL hands, which is totally seperate as they are seperate companies. If the PHORM equipment was to be be installed in BT Wholesale, then that would be a major concern as every ISP apart from VM Cable would be affected.

Colin
Not true. LLU ISPs should not be affected as they route via their own networks from the exchange.

Non-LLU ISPs may be affected if BT Wholesale do install Phorm (BT Retail is a reseller for BT Wholesale in much the same way as other Non-LLU ISPs). According to El Reg, it is rumoured that it is BT Wholesale installing the Phorm equipment.
Old 16-06-2008, 00:09   #9004
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Not true. LLU ISPs should not be affected as they route via their own networks from the exchange.

Non-LLU ISPs may be affected if BT Wholesale do install Phorm (BT Retail is a reseller for BT Wholesale in much the same way as other Non-LLU ISPs). According to El Reg, it is rumoured that it is BT Wholesale installing the Phorm equipment.
Are there any declared anti-phorm ISP's who rely on BT Wholesale? They must know if this going to happen.
Old 16-06-2008, 00:23   #9005
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

I just had a look and Blackbeaks blog as pointed out previously! .. it's a nice little snapshot of the main points ...

and I must say how refreshing to see the author himself respond here too .. welcome aboard Blackbeak!
Old 16-06-2008, 00:59   #9006
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethejag View Post
Hi All, With a LOT of help from my son! How do you like this?!

Dave.
Dave I like this a lot you have done really well on this one going to steal a copy but will put in the correct details honest gov.....
Old 16-06-2008, 01:05   #9007
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Deleted.
Old 16-06-2008, 01:06   #9008
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

I can just see it now some MPs child accidently opts the MP in after reading webwise since they think it is the BBC childrens educational programs and some secret documents get harvested. Then again half the MPs dont understand the PC's and Internet so wouldnt know and all personal details or secret plans will be harvested by phorm what a money earner he could sell the secrets via his Russian scriptors to the highest bidder in Russia.. Not saying this will happen just milling it around.....
Old 16-06-2008, 01:26   #9009
mark777
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Not sure if I'm the target for this comment for using the term 'geek' in an earlier post?
No Kursk, the comment is not aimed at any individual, certainly not you. My apologies if I have given that impression.

I refer to the opposition, who frequently refer to 'a few geeks' or words to that effect.

I'm very keen to get across the idea that IT professionals oppose this. Boffins if the media want to use the term, but never geeks.

Geeks are creations of US TV and have a special meaning to those members of our society who think they went to school with Buffy The Vampire Slayer - unfortunately far too many people.

The term 'geek' is bad news for this campaign with regards to expanding public awareness. Mods - please add it to the language filter.

EDIT : I am guilty myself of using the term in the past.
Old 16-06-2008, 01:41   #9010
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Understood thank you Mark. I won't be using the term again .
Old 16-06-2008, 01:43   #9011
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I can just see it now some MPs child accidently opts the MP in after reading webwise since they think it is the BBC childrens educational programs and some secret documents get harvested. Then again half the MPs dont understand the PC's and Internet so wouldnt know and all personal details or secret plans will be harvested by phorm what a money earner he could sell the secrets via his Russian scriptors to the highest bidder in Russia.. Not saying this will happen just milling it around.....
That is scary to think a child could do that, But the MP shouldn't allow their child to use the Computer that is ment to be used for work.
Old 16-06-2008, 01:55   #9012
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
cut...

The weight of numbers may be the only recourse if the legal arguments are circumvented and it's beginning to look that way.
Maybe I am being over optimistic but common sense tells me that this disgrace will be stopped in the courts one day if all other attempts hit brick walls. The argument is too persuasive to ignore. Hopefully a lot more publicity will shame BT into submission before even that occurs.

Step back and put it into perspective some of what has gone on.

BT who are a household name that you expect to be able to trust, joins up with an outfit that has written rootkits and spyware. I could stop there. Unbelievable!

BT allow this organisation to have total access to all the HTTP data of a large portion its subscribers web data without their permission.
BT then allow this organisation to injects JavaScript into its customers browsing web data. Unbelievable!

BT then denies that this link up occurred.
BT then admits it occurred when questioned under pressure. Unbelievable!

I could go on mention all the other 'juicy' titbits but I am feeling too sick already.

I honestly could not have dreamt this behaviour would ever have occurred when I was working for BT 15 years ago. In those days 'customer was king' and BT as an organisation had a great deal of self respect!

I am so glad I am no longer working there. It must be very difficult for those who may know something, who have a conscience, but are too scared to say anything. If I was in a position of knowledge working there now, I would like to think my integrity would overcome any reluctance to whistle blow on the disgraceful behaviour I believe that has gone on of late. At least my conscience would be clear and that would be important to me.
Old 16-06-2008, 02:11   #9013
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
[Snip]

I honestly could not have dreamt this behaviour would ever have occurred when I was working for BT 15 years ago. In those days 'customer was king' and BT as an organisation had a great deal of self respect!

I am so glad I am no longer working there. It must be very difficult for those who may know something, who have a conscience, but are too scared to say anything. If I was in a position of knowledge working there now, I would like to think my integrity would overcome any reluctance to whistle blow on the disgraceful behaviour I believe that has gone on of late. At least my conscience would be clear and that would be important to me.
I think that this quote is appropriate from cablehell forum

Quote:
Well, as a BT area manager once told me, everything BT does is like the old letter T from the lines and dots logo.... depending on how you rotate the logo,

Everything they do is a little cock-up, a big cock-up or a total balls up...
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 16-06-2008, 02:17   #9014
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
I think that this quote is appropriate from cablehell forum

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

I see now they took a left turn instead of a right turn.
Old 16-06-2008, 02:36   #9015
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

>Thanks also to Hank and Privacy Matters for their suggested amendments. I've incorporated all of these in a revised (hopefully final) version, available at:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer.pdf

Thanks for this. I will distribute this as widely as I can.

Where/to whom do we donate money for the Google adwords fund?

---------- Post added at 01:36 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

---------- Post added at 01:35 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

It behooves us to prepare for when or if Phorm eventually rolls out by writing up a letter to send out to OIX advertisers.

It would be something along the lines of an explanation of why we think Phorm technology is wrong, illegal, and a potential breach of copyright, and we therefore intend to boycott their business.

Anyone could then send this pre-phormed (ha ha!) letter to businesses and sign their name.

Anybody want to help?
Closed Thread