Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PM Boris forms a government

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

PM Boris forms a government
Closed Thread

Old 21-08-2019, 18:33   #1276
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: PM Boris forms a government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
... and a racist wannabe leader.
Michael Gove is another buffoon but I don't think he's a racist.... He's biding his time till it all implodes,, not long now.
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2019, 18:51   #1277
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

There is a realistic potential for a compromise on the backstop. It would have to meet these standards:
  • Allow Boris Johnson to say he has won a concession
  • Allow Ireland to save face
  • Avoid the prospect of a hard border in Ireland

Now I am not sure what solution that would be. In the end if standards diverge after the transition period then you need customs checks and 'blockchain' is not an answer. But you can kick that problem into the long grass with some clever wording whereby everyone understands the issue needs to be resolved without those checks and is confident it will be.

I still think it will take the form of a cleverly worded way of saying in the event of no agreement after the transition period the U.K Government gets to decide between continuing the transition or diverging without N.Ireland.

Essentially what the EU offered a year or so ago. The EU gets to say they got what they wanted - especially Ireland - and Boris got rid of the backstop. DUP might not be happy though.
Old 21-08-2019, 20:09   #1278
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Thing is, even without the backstop it's a really crap deal. It leaves us much worse off than if we stayed in the EU.
All this time and you think that has any bearing on anything?

That argument means nothing

Being that remaining will not happen

What’s your pleasure? No deal or amended deal?
Old 21-08-2019, 20:28   #1279
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

That’s like asking someone which leg do they want broken?*

*neither
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-08-2019, 20:30   #1280
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

I'm not.wrong though am I? Deal or amended deal, we'll be worse off. That's why you, like a sensible Gent, voted to remain.
Old 21-08-2019, 20:31   #1281
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

*neither
No it's not - a ridiculous comparison.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 21-08-2019, 20:48   #1282
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Michael Gove is another buffoon but I don't think he's a racist.... He's biding his time till it all implodes,, not long now.
He's not a buffoon, either. He is very intelligent. But also rather strange.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
There is a realistic potential for a compromise on the backstop. It would have to meet these standards:
  • Allow Boris Johnson to say he has won a concession
  • Allow Ireland to save face
  • Avoid the prospect of a hard border in Ireland

Now I am not sure what solution that would be. In the end if standards diverge after the transition period then you need customs checks and 'blockchain' is not an answer. But you can kick that problem into the long grass with some clever wording whereby everyone understands the issue needs to be resolved without those checks and is confident it will be.

I still think it will take the form of a cleverly worded way of saying in the event of no agreement after the transition period the U.K Government gets to decide between continuing the transition or diverging without N.Ireland.

Essentially what the EU offered a year or so ago. The EU gets to say they got what they wanted - especially Ireland - and Boris got rid of the backstop. DUP might not be happy though.
The EU needs to concede that the backstop will be in place for two years or when the new trade agreement becomes operational, whichever is the earlier.

Why would that be a problem? There certainly won't be a backstop if there's a no deal.

Ireland need to get their act together and start to get real about this. Posturing won't get them anywhere. They are just a little country attempting to have their day on the world stage. If they continue like this, it will all end in tears. But it won't be the UK that's weeping.

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote:
I'm not.wrong though am I? Deal or amended deal, we'll be worse off. That's why you, like a sensible Gent, voted to remain.
We will be worse off only if we are tied in pepetuity to the backstop.

I don't see why you have this perverse attraction to the EU. It is an appalling set-up and we will be well shot of them.
Old 21-08-2019, 22:05   #1283
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

*neither
Yep, that’s where we are.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Quote:
I did indeed, call me a fortune teller, but I knew this would end in one almighty shat show. I’ve never been a fan of the EU and to be honest pre-referendum I didn’t even have a strong opinion on it either way. It was one of those things that was just is.

The driver behind my ire for this whole situation, is the failure to deliver a democratic decision. That I can’t abide. I’ve been on the losing side of many decisions, made by others, in my life and accepted and moved on.

I look at Hong Kong, and they are literally fighting for democracy. Yet many of us seem happy to throw it away as it suits us. That is to me disgusting.

The failure by Parliament to put aside party politics and deliver Brexit...and that is aimed directly at Corbyn, and the failure of the EU to not be the EU has just turned me into an ardent leaver.

I doubt I am alone. Probably not a massive amount but as in many elections, the silent righ
right of centre grou usually voice their opinion in the polling booth.

To think re-running the referendum would bring about a substantial turnaround to the 2016 result, I think, would be seriously mis-placed.
Old 22-08-2019, 09:52   #1284
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
He's not a buffoon, either. He is very intelligent. But also rather strange.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

The EU needs to concede that the backstop will be in place for two years or when the new trade agreement becomes operational, whichever is the earlier.

Why would that be a problem? There certainly won't be a backstop if there's a no deal.

Ireland need to get their act together and start to get real about this. Posturing won't get them anywhere. They are just a little country attempting to have their day on the world stage. If they continue like this, it will all end in tears. But it won't be the UK that's weeping.

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

We will be worse off only if we are tied in pepetuity to the backstop.

I don't see why you have this perverse attraction to the EU. It is an appalling set-up and we will be well shot of them.
Oh, the irony...
Old 22-08-2019, 10:30   #1285
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Oh, the irony...
Yes, we are small in geography it is true, but we punch above our weight and are one of the largest economies in the world.

Why do so many people in this country try and do this country down? This narrative has got to change or we will be the architects of our own downfall.
Old 22-08-2019, 11:29   #1286
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Yes, we are small in geography it is true, but we punch above our weight and are one of the largest economies in the world.

Why do so many people in this country try and do this country down? This narrative has got to change or we will be the architects of our own downfall.
You say "do this country down", other say "being realistic"...

One of the largest economies in the world is true, but we used to be the 4th largest, now we are 7th (in one measure, we are 9th)

We do punch above our weight, due to historical reasons, but the modern world is made up of economic groupings, as they carry more weight than individual countries - just look at some of the trade deals we have completed so far, which include the groupings of Central America, Andean countries, Caribbean countries, and Eastern and Southern Africa.
Old 22-08-2019, 12:37   #1287
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

One of the largest economies in the world is true, but we used to be the 4th largest, now we are 7th (in one measure, we are 9th)

We do punch above our weight, due to historical reasons, but the modern world is made up of economic groupings, as they carry more weight than individual countries - just look at some of the trade deals we have completed so far, which include the groupings of Central America, Andean countries, Caribbean countries, and Eastern and Southern Africa.
How much of that is the increase in countries like India and China? Internal consumption is meaningless as it is linked with size of population. Eg in the per person measure, San Marino is above us. They are not exactly an economic powerhouse. India and China don't even make the top 50.

Well over £300bn exports from rest of EU to UK is not chicken feed.
Old 22-08-2019, 13:00   #1288
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

As Hugh says, it's about trading blocs, not individual countries. Ireland has historically been bossed around by the UK. The roles are now more equal; some may see reversed.

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Well over £300bn exports from rest of EU to UK is not chicken feed.
If this was the UK, then some would be saying this provides a great opportunity to trade with the rest of the world and not confine ourselves to Europe.
Old 22-08-2019, 13:47   #1289
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

And where is Ireland?

With respect, you are not being realistic, Hugh, you are being negative.
Old 22-08-2019, 13:54   #1290
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
And where is Ireland?

With respect, you are not being realistic, Hugh, you are being negative.
Ireland is being backed up the European Union, one of the biggest economic blocs in the world if not the biggest.
Closed Thread