Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2019, 07:19   #6421
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Anyone can search and prove your statement there false. It’s also been ages since I posted that so I’ll put your response down to a few beers on a Friday evening and looking for an argument.
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2019, 07:54   #6422
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That was a waste as it got cancelled after a few episodes.
But one mans meat is another mans poison.
Old 21-09-2019, 13:45   #6423
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Channel 4 have a lot of interesting programmes - especially the Walter Presents shows - and I am hoping that it joins Britbox. At present with the impossible to skip ads they are a pain to try and watch. It's a bit of a slim hope, though, as most, if not all, of its shows are bought in from outside sources rather than produced by the channel itself and I imagine that the rights would be a nightmare to negotiate. The news that Channel 5 are only adding the shows they produce on their own seems to confirm this. I fear that without a broad cross-section of back-catalogue material from all the main channels that the Britbox offering may be too thin to be of interest to many people.
Walter Presents is non-UK content so by definition can't join BritBox.
Old 21-09-2019, 16:16   #6424
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Walter Presents is non-UK content so by definition can't join BritBox.
Sad, but true.
Old 21-09-2019, 17:05   #6425
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Which is the cheapest way to obtain a stick to access the catch up services for channels 1 to 5?

A friend wants to turn her bedroom TV into a smart TV.

Thanks.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 21-09-2019 at 17:09.
Old 21-09-2019, 18:42   #6426
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Anyone can search and prove your statement there false. It’s also been ages since I posted that so I’ll put your response down to a few beers on a Friday evening and looking for an argument.
Wow, talk about the kettle calling the pot black!
Old 21-09-2019, 19:10   #6427
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Which is the cheapest way to obtain a stick to access the catch up services for channels 1 to 5?

Thanks.
The absolute cheapest is probably a Now TV stick. In store at Tesco/Asda these have been as low as £5 at some points, but can generally be picked up below £20.

Argos currently have it with one month entertainment, cinema and a one day pass for Sky Sports for £20. Can register and cancel online. The stick will continue to work with other apps.

Last edited by jfman; 21-09-2019 at 19:21.
Old 21-09-2019, 19:24   #6428
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The absolute cheapest is probably a Now TV stick. In store at Tesco/Asda these have been as low as £5 at some points, but can generally be picked up below £20.

Argos currently have it with one month entertainment, cinema and a one day pass for Sky Sports for £20. Can register and cancel online. The stick will continue to work with other apps.
I'm not sure if that's right, but happy to be corrected. I thought you needed the Now TV box and an aerial to get the terrestrials, which was the question.

EDIT: I've just noticed that you can watch the terrestrials on demand, but not live, on the stick.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-09-2019 at 19:36.
Old 21-09-2019, 19:55   #6429
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Yep, as asked all the catch up services are there. I’m guessing the “dumb” TV has a DTT tuner, otherwise they’d not have been watching much for the last 7 years.
Old 21-09-2019, 21:10   #6430
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Thanks.
The cheapest is probably NowTV... but that puts their services first, which are obviously paid. A Now TV box is basically a rebadged Roku, Sky own a stake in Roku. Though Roku is more expensive, I'd say get a Roku, simply to not have the first few services on the menu not being customisable. You can add the Sky services, but they are being forced in you face with NowTV, wasting screen space, but are optional with Roku, if you don't want them don't add them.

If they have a games console already, use that. PS4 or XBox One have most of the major steaming apps.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 21-09-2019 at 21:14.
Old 21-09-2019, 21:20   #6431
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The cheapest is probably NowTV... but that puts their services first, which are obviously paid. A Now TV box is basically a rebadged Roku, Sky own a stake in Roku. Though Roku is more expensive, I'd say get a Roku, simply to not have the first few services on the menu not being customisable. You can add the Sky services, but they are being forced in you face with NowTV, wasting screen space, but are optional with Roku, if you don't want them don't add them.

If they have a games console already, use that. PS4 or XBox One have most of the major steaming apps.
I'd agree with that, I have the Now TV stick, I think it cost me £14.99 or thereabouts, and I pay £3.49 per month for access to their Sky Atlantic shows, which I find to be excellent.
Old 21-09-2019, 21:41   #6432
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'd agree with that, I have the Now TV stick, I think it cost me £14.99 or thereabouts, and I pay £3.49 per month for access to their Sky Atlantic shows, which I find to be excellent.
I got my Now TV box for £7.50, I used £5 Clubcard points (so it was £2.50) and I didn't need the box, I did it for the Now TV Entertainment Pass (I used my games console), so I gave the box to relatives so they could use the Catch-up apps.

I have a Roku stick too but if the money is tight and you are fine with the annoyance of half the screen being NowTV, a NowTV device is a cheap Roku.

The problem with a NowTV device is they want an account set up, with card. A Roku needs an email address, but not card details. There is a way around the NowTV card situation, well there used to be, I've not done it for a while, but it's a tad fiddly.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 21-09-2019 at 21:47.
Old 22-09-2019, 01:47   #6433
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Thanks, i'll pass the information on.
Old 23-09-2019, 12:50   #6434
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Just to show that the Netflix customer base can fall as well as rise.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...eid=3598503789
Old 23-09-2019, 13:43   #6435
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Just to show that the Netflix customer base can fall as well as rise.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...eid=3598503789
That's right and Netflix shares have taken a tumble too, with the prospect of increased competition with Disney+ launching in November.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ck-to-plummet/

And I don't like this news at all!

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...vr-recordings/

TiVo seems to have forgotten its basic principles! I hope this doesn't dribble through to VM's V6s.

[Extract]

TiVo is testing inserting pre-roll ads on DVR recordings.

According to a report from Zats Not Funny, some viewers have begun to see adverts preceding their recorded videos. It is believed that this move is a part of a wider move from TiVo to monetise its platform.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 23-09-2019 at 13:47.
Closed Thread