Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC iplayer problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC iplayer problem

Old 09-10-2014, 22:28   #46
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: BBC iplayer problem

Looks like it's back up and running again. Just watched Andrew Marr in HD and no glitches!

If it's still not working for you, re-boot your box and it should now be fine.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2014, 22:52   #47
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Just watched Andrew Marr in HD and no glitches!
Apart from Andrew Marr of course....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 16:44   #48
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Trying to watch now but just getting server error crap and constant buffering. YouTube and Netflix work perfectly fine though.
Old 12-10-2014, 18:29   #49
spj20016
cf.addict

Services: Virgin media VIP
spj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nice

Anyone still having BBC Iplayer problems can you please fill out the survey on the VM Community forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...n/td-p/2375611 because they are saying only a few customers have filled it in which hasn't given them enough information. Thanks
spj20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:09   #50
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spj20016 View Post
Anyone still having BBC Iplayer problems can you please fill out the survey on the VM Community forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...n/td-p/2375611 because they are saying only a few customers have filled it in which hasn't given them enough information. Thanks
Perhaps if they put it on VM's webpages, or on TiVo itself rather than hidden away on a forum they might get a better response.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:35   #51
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

The more I think about it, the more VM seem to be treating the whole iPlayer/local network congestion thing very reactively.

In my case if I hadn't nagged CS continually over a period of weeks, I don't get the feeling the congestion would have been logged anywhere near as quickly as it was. Obviously I don't know the nature of the fix in my area, but I'm left wondering if VM Networks were a bit more proactive about congestion triggers being breached, would things get logged (and ultimately fixed) quicker.

Perhaps I'm just being too simplistic, and the problem is communication within CS. Then there were the ping problems last week... a fault log wasn't exactly forthcoming then!
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:59   #52
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

For me HD is always the problem and given that iPlayer on TiVo defaults to SD every time many viewers are probably only using that or have given up on HD based on past poor performance of it.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 11:48   #53
spj20016
cf.addict

spj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Perhaps if they put it on VM's webpages, or on TiVo itself rather than hidden away on a forum they might get a better response.
That's what needs to be done, they seem to think customers who have a problem go to the VM Community forum which I would not think most do. And I doubt customers who phone them to complain about the BBC Iplayer get told to go to the VM Community forum to fill out the survey. They can put advertisements up quick enough on TiVo so I am sure that they can put the survey details up. These problems have gone on for months now if not years so it's about time they sort it out.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

It's so inconsistent too, last night I watched last weeks antique roadshow at around 9pm in HD and it played perfect right the way through but on Friday I tried to watch our zoo at 3pm in the afternoon and it started freezing immediately on HD and SD. You think it is finally fixed and then it starts freezing again.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:20   #54
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

It's the nature of congestion that it is inconsistent. You have no way of knowing what else is going on in the network at the same time - 3pm might seem like a quiet time but that day thousands of parents in your area might have arbitrarily decided to plop their kids in front of CBeebies shows on iPlayer.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 13:10   #55
spj20016
cf.addict

The thing is VM don't seem to want to admit that it's a congestion problem.
Old 13-10-2014, 13:16   #56
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

If everyone who continues to have problems with the BBC i-Player rang Virgin to complain, the sheer numbers should prompt them to do something. A lot of people have just been putting up with it.

Having said that, I've had no further problems with it since they 'fixed' the problem a few days ago.
Old 13-10-2014, 14:06   #57
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Gave up using IPlayer on TIVO and now Chromecast IPlayer to my TV and all is well. That tells me it's VM's problem
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:32   #58
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
Gave up using IPlayer on TIVO and now Chromecast IPlayer to my TV and all is well. That tells me it's VM's problem
It sounds as though it might have been a congestion problem, but who knows? The problem seems to be fixed for me now, so keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way!
Old 05-11-2014, 02:48   #59
mistermcg
Inactive

Services: VM - 152mb BB, Tivo(1TB), TV(M+), Phone(M) NowTV
mistermcg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. Just found this forum. I changed to a TIVO box when they first came out. NEVER has my BBCi Player worked on it properly. VM have changed my box several times had engineers here, upscaled the complaint etc but it has reached the point that i just dont watch bbc progs on catch up. Everything was perfect with my VHD and to be honest I wish I'd never upgraded to TIVO (worst decision I ever made). I was advised a long time ago that it was a BBC issue and was advised that it would be fixed by June 2013. Never happened. I emailed the BBC also with no joy. Only came across this forum now as I decided to complain to Watchdog about the BBC :-). So sent a complaint into them and did a search for other comments about people having the same problems and low and behold here I am. I have now also filled in the survey form for VM but was never aware of that from anywhere (especially VM). Problem appears a bit more prevalent now. I do hope they can get the thing sorted as I agree with all comments BBCiplayer works fine on all other platforms such as PC or NowTV box on my TV upstairs but all other catch up services and streaming from 4OD, ITV, Channel5 etc all work very well on TIVO. Gees thats been a bit of a long spiel. Sorry
mistermcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 13:27   #60
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcg View Post
Hi all. Just found this forum. I changed to a TIVO box when they first came out. NEVER has my BBCi Player worked on it properly. VM have changed my box several times had engineers here, upscaled the complaint etc but it has reached the point that i just dont watch bbc progs on catch up. Everything was perfect with my VHD and to be honest I wish I'd never upgraded to TIVO (worst decision I ever made). I was advised a long time ago that it was a BBC issue and was advised that it would be fixed by June 2013. Never happened. I emailed the BBC also with no joy. Only came across this forum now as I decided to complain to Watchdog about the BBC :-). So sent a complaint into them and did a search for other comments about people having the same problems and low and behold here I am. I have now also filled in the survey form for VM but was never aware of that from anywhere (especially VM). Problem appears a bit more prevalent now. I do hope they can get the thing sorted as I agree with all comments BBCiplayer works fine on all other platforms such as PC or NowTV box on my TV upstairs but all other catch up services and streaming from 4OD, ITV, Channel5 etc all work very well on TIVO. Gees thats been a bit of a long spiel. Sorry
We feel your frustration! Good luck with your campaign.