Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The PS4 Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PlayStation 4 PRO and PS4 Slim

Old 07-09-2016, 21:20   #1
S_james

PlayStation 4 PRO and PS4 Slim

So the PS4 pro is officially announced 4K HDR gaming, no specs yet. CPU Clock rate boosted, Upgraded CPU.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

This presentation/event is creepy lol
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2016, 22:25   #2
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: PlayStation 4 PRO

We're at the ''This is what we should've been selling from the start'' phase now are we then?

Thank god I got out of Consoles. This generation of consoles and gaming as a whole is producing some right stinkers.

PS1, PS2, the way the Xbox 360 really gave online gaming a take off, despite its absolutely horrific failure rate of course. But still, give me those times back, when I felt Developers and console creators actually cared about producing quality games and products rather than running cash grabs at all oppurtunitues. Not speaking for every console or game of course. Nintendo DS, Wii etc are quality products.

Calling it the PS4 'Pro' is insulting and pretty typical of today's market. I half expect them to now make the original PS4 free but riddle it with ads with reminders you can get the Pro version for a low one time fee. The annoying part for consumers is you can absolutely guarantee you'll start seeing titles labeled PS4 Pro exclusive, rendering original users useless.

Dangerous precedent set now, forget upgradable consoles if this sells. I wish they'd use the term "Actually X resolution, upscaled to 4K" there's no way this outputs native 4K

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 07-09-2016 at 22:51.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:06   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It doesn't play 4K blu Ray disc movies though.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:38   #4
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Which the Xbox One S can do. Note its also clear from the complete lack of specs and poor terms to describe them that its somewhat less powerful than Microsoft's Scorpio.

Still, Double the GPU, 4 times the resolution? Isn't really happening, it's an upscaled device being fanned out as a 4K machine.

Just sell Steamboxes loaded with your own OS that users can upgrade at will where they see fit, they can keep their exclusives via limited availability or restricted to Microsoft OS, can still ship it with your own controller and even your own brand on the top whilst opening a huge platform for 'console gamers' with access to the Steam store whilst fully retaining its pick up and play status.

I get it though, there's more money to be made in restricted hardware. You wouldn't be buying upgrades from them and thus they wouldn't make that much money after the original sale. Thus they wouldn't get your £400 every time they threw out a new machine.

If Microsoft can get their equivalent out for a reasonable price then Sony will just be adding to their world of hurt. Not doing very well lately.

Side note: It would likely have been cheaper for the consumer that ends up owning both if Sony had actually produced this console instead of the original PS4, they could have sold it for around the 600 -700 mark with rough hardware estimates. In not doing so, anyone that purchased the PS4 and the Pro will have paid extra. I understand that no one would pay 600 quid though, just pointing it out.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 08-09-2016 at 03:48.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:35   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Hmmm. Tempting. May instead get Nintendo NX though.

Or may just get both. That'd work.

Not sure I like the idea of the 'cadence' of hardware refreshes being sped up, though the last generation was really long.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 13:21   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: PlayStation 4 PRO and PS4 Slim

I am more tempted to just get the Playstation 4 Slim.

Still don't get this new idea of mid life hardware refreshes in terms of adding more powerful consoles.
Old 08-09-2016, 15:11   #7
S_james

Quote:
I am more tempted to just get the Playstation 4 Slim.

Still don't get this new idea of mid life hardware refreshes in terms of adding more powerful consoles.
Why not? PC gamers do it with GPU/CPU upgrades,

The older consoles will still play all games and your older games will work on the new console. If you want to get 10 years from your current console you can, if you want to upgrade to a more powerful console....... You can.

Isn't freedom of choice great.
Old 08-09-2016, 15:34   #8
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_james View Post

The older consoles will still play all games and your older games will work on the new console. If you want to get 10 years from your current console you can, if you want to upgrade to a more powerful console....... You can.

Yeah that's not really the same thing. If I want a new GPU or CPU I buy one, I don't buy an entirely new PC.
Old 08-09-2016, 15:56   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:

If you want a new more powerful console then it should be the next generation and not mid way through a cycle.

If I wanted a pc then I'd get one and change parts when I wanted not buy a whole new one after just a couple of years.
Old 08-09-2016, 20:41   #10
S_james

Quote:
If you want a new more powerful console then it should be the next generation and not mid way through a cycle.

If I wanted a pc then I'd get one and change parts when I wanted not buy a whole new one after just a couple of years.
Don't buy it then, some GPU's cost a lot more than a PS4 Pro. You sound like an old man, hey... One day we will download our music!!!!! Loll

You're not the target audience.
Old 08-09-2016, 21:07   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I have owned pretty much every games console since the SNES and during the life cycle of other consoles I have purchased every slim version since the PS1 came out, however now I don't see there is a need for a more powerful console if it isn't a whole new console. ie the PS5.

Also I used to build PCs and spend a lot on them. So I am well aware some GPUs cost more than a PS4 Pro however those GPUs are also a lot more powerful than the Pro.
Old 08-09-2016, 22:06   #12
S_james

Quote:
I have owned pretty much every games console since the SNES and during the life cycle of other consoles I have purchased every slim version since the PS1 came out, however now I don't see there is a need for a more powerful console if it isn't a whole new console. ie the PS5.

Also I used to build PCs and spend a lot on them. So I am well aware some GPUs cost more than a PS4 Pro however those GPUs are also a lot more powerful than the Pro.
I've owned Lots of game consoles, my dad even imported a Fairchild, I've had Atari 2600, sega master system/mega system, NES/SNES, Atari Jaguar, NeoGeo, I could go on....

But that's old news why do gamers often mention that they owned old consoles lol. I don't mention BBC Ceefax when talking about Internet football scores. Or my huge 32inch CRT when talking about 50" OLED TV's

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Quote:

Ok how do I put this-------- DO NOT BUY A PS4 PRO IF YOU DO NOT WANT ONE. As you will know, some GPU's cost a lot pre than a PS4 pro. But some are only a slight step up from previous generations and cost less than a PS4 Pro. Choice is great,
Old 08-09-2016, 22:53   #13
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...-ultimate-faq/

Quote:
Q: Does PS4 Pro support Ultra 4K Blu-ray Discs?
No, PS4 Pro’s internal Blu-ray drive does not support the new Ultra 4K Blu-ray Disc format. It supports the same Blu-ray Disc specs as the standard PS4. The Blu-ray Disc Player application, however, will support high-quality upscaling of DVD and Blu-ray Disc content.
it's wierd isn't id, they make a big deal about how amazing it is doing 4k, and then add that it won't play 4k ultra blu ray. I guess they didn't want to charge that little bit extra to cover the cost of that, and had to keep it under $400/£350
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 23:07   #14
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
I've owned Lots of game consoles, my dad even imported a Fairchild, I've had Atari 2600, sega master system/mega system, NES/SNES, Atari Jaguar, NeoGeo, I could go on....

But that's old news why do gamers often mention that they owned old consoles lol. I don't mention BBC Ceefax when talking about Internet football scores. Or my huge 32inch CRT when talking about 50" OLED TV's

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Ok how do I put this-------- DO NOT BUY A PS4 PRO IF YOU DO NOT WANT ONE. As you will know, some GPU's cost a lot pre than a PS4 pro. But some are only a slight step up from previous generations and cost less than a PS4 Pro. Choice is great,
I mentioned them as you were claiming I wasn't the target. When clearly by my previous purchases I am.

Never said I don't want one. Just that I'm not getting one as it really doesn't over much more than a regular PS4.

Best waiting for the Xbox Scorpio if you want more power and real 4k gaming.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...-ultimate-faq/

it's wierd isn't id, they make a big deal about how amazing it is doing 4k, and then add that it won't play 4k ultra blu ray. I guess they didn't want to charge that little bit extra to cover the cost of that, and had to keep it under $400/£350
If Microsoft can manage it then I don't see it being a major expense for Sony.