Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | being charged for using wifi on mobile

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

being charged for using wifi on mobile

Old 18-07-2009, 21:09   #1
sevenxl
Inactive

sevenxl is an unknown quantity at this point
being charged for using wifi on mobile

Not long had my contract with virgin (Nokia E63) I connect to the internet via my home wifi. The problem is I seem to be being charged for doing this? I kow I'm only connect via my home router as a message pops up on the phone sayin'connecting via'

Is this possible?

Thanks
sevenxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2009, 22:34   #2
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: being charged for using wifi on mobile

I've not used Virgin Mobile, but would be surprised if you're being charged for using Wifi (it would technically be possible but commercial suicide for any operator to try it).

What makes you think you're being charged for wifi usage?
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 23:32   #3
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road

There may be some background aplications using your mobile's connection rather then wifi, just because your connected via wifi i'm not sure if it will automatically use it over the mobiles connection, have a look at the settings, you may need to disable certain programs from automatically using the phone connection without your permission.
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 08:30   #4
sevenxl
Inactive

[QUOTE=brundles;34836644
What makes you think you're being charged for wifi usage?[/QUOTE]

When i check my online bill it shows a charge for using the internet.

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

I downloaded a youtube installation which I use quite a lot. Could this be causing the charge?
Old 19-07-2009, 10:48   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenxl View Post
Not long had my contract with virgin (Nokia E63) I connect to the internet via my home wifi. The problem is I seem to be being charged for doing this? I kow I'm only connect via my home router as a message pops up on the phone sayin'connecting via'

Is this possible?

Thanks
Here is the link to the Virgin mobile website section on web access they charge 30p a day to access the web and I have used it on a couple of occasions and that is all they charge, the only way you should incur further charges is if you download a ringtone or similar to your phone.

https://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gene...chooseus.sm082
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 13:06   #6
sevenxl
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Here is the link to the Virgin mobile website section on web access they charge 30p a day to access the web and I have used it on a couple of occasions and that is all they charge, the only way you should incur further charges is if you download a ringtone or similar to your phone.

https://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gene...chooseus.sm082
Hi

I fully understand the charge of 30p max per day but if I'm using my own Wif to connect surely i shouldn't be charged anything? Cheers
Old 19-07-2009, 14:23   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Hi

I fully understand the charge of 30p max per day but if I'm using my own Wif to connect surely i shouldn't be charged anything? Cheers
You wouldn't be charged anything for using your own Wifi.

I got an Orange contract earlier this year and i was finding the phone i had was connecting to the internet everyday using atleast 1 of its pre installed apps without me knowing even though i had thought i had disabled them. It was costing me a fortune so i cancelled it.

My guess is you have a background app on your phone that is connecting every day and costing you also.
Old 19-07-2009, 15:34   #8
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Is this possible?

Thanks
No

If your phone is using WIFI to connect to your router, there is no way you can be getting charged for using it.

If youre getting charged for stuff then you need to make sure you are only using the WIFI and not the GPRS.

Check your configuration settings.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 18:19   #9
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

There's various apps you might have on your phone that will connect to GPRS. such as Navigation apps such as Google Maps/Nokia Maps. are you using any of them kind of apps?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 19:44   #10
sevenxl
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
There's various apps you might have on your phone that will connect to GPRS. such as Navigation apps such as Google Maps/Nokia Maps. are you using any of them kind of apps?
I think your right. I have messed around on navigation & maps. Not used them yesterday & today and I havn't got any charges I'll steer clear in future.

Thanks
Old 19-07-2009, 19:54   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

If it helps, on my N95, Nokia provided a tool to download all the maps for any countries and store them on the phone's memory card. Saves and awful lot of downloading..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 20:37   #12
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I think your right. I have messed around on navigation & maps. Not used them yesterday & today and I havn't got any charges I'll steer clear in future.

Thanks
Or just get a phone plan where you get Unlimited internet, like me
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote