Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bad WiFi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Bad WiFi

Old 15-09-2019, 12:11   #1
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100
Bad WiFi

Well sort of anyway.
Our tablets and smart phones suffer from terrible wifi in our house, constant buffering and page loading for example. However my Apple iMac is connected by wifi and has no issues. Even in a direct line of sight the devices still suffer this issue. I bought an expensive router and put the SH3 in modem mode but that has made no difference, i have tried all kinds of settings in the router to no avail.

Only since we were given a SH3 has this been the case. With our old SH2 we never had an issue. We had a VM engineer out a while ago over a separate issue and he said everything was fine.

Moving the router to different location has not helped either.
Old 15-09-2019, 12:28   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Bad WiFi

Given you bought an expensive router and the Hub 3.0 is simply a Modem then the only conclusion is that your devices (except the iMac) are the problem devices, not the Virgin Media equipment or service.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 12:41   #3
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Given you bought an expensive router and the Hub 3.0 is simply a Modem then the only conclusion is that your devices (except the iMac) are the problem devices, not the Virgin Media equipment or service.
I agree but when i use those devices on other wifi, hotels for example or a friends house there are no issues.
Old 15-09-2019, 12:47   #4
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Are some devices using the 2.4 band and others the 5 band? Could be interference from next door on one or other band.

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

I use on my phone the app WiFi Analyzer to check for interference.

Last edited by oliver1948uk; 15-09-2019 at 12:49. Reason: Spelling
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 12:56   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I disconnected the hub3 and wnt back to the hub2 as the former gave us no end of problems with wifi around the house. But the latter is hopeless on the 5Ghz band, so it's permanently switched to 2.4Ghz only.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 18:56   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I disconnected the hub3 and wnt back to the hub2 as the former gave us no end of problems with wifi around the house. But the latter is hopeless on the 5Ghz band, so it's permanently switched to 2.4Ghz only.
Hes using a proper router.
Old 16-09-2019, 14:19   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Are some devices using the 2.4 band and others the 5 band? Could be interference from next door on one or other band.

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

I use on my phone the app WiFi Analyzer to check for interference.
I'd be willing to bet money you're on the right track here. It might not be Wifi interference on those bands though, other devices can cause interference that you can't see using a Wifi analyser app. Still, it's the first thing to check.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 15:09   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I'd be willing to bet money you're on the right track here. It might not be Wifi interference on those bands though, other devices can cause interference that you can't see using a Wifi analyser app. Still, it's the first thing to check.
Mainly anything using the same wireless band. Wireless doorbells, baby alarms, cameras, etc, etc.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 17:01   #9
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Suggest you get Metageek Inssider https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

Analyse which channel you are on, most routers use channel 1 by default, you are probably competing with loads of other users who are causing interference
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 02:35   #10
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

We don't use the 2.4 GHz frequency at all now in our set up as its been turned off as none of our devices were using it 5 GHz all the way for us

Just look how many are still using 2.4 GHz and only 2 on the 5 GHz

Capture.PNG
Martin_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 20:05   #11
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Unfortunately I have too many devices that require 2.4Ghz, so it's staying for now.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 21:57   #12
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

The explosion of IoT devices means that there's a lot of usage of the 2.4GHz band.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 20:04   #13
gep
cf.member

gep is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, got a ring doorbell, saying poor quality signal. Bought wi-fi extender, still the same. Did a internet speed test on my mobile. 34.47Mbps download ping 15 saying its slow. test done at 18:40pm.(Not using Mobile Data} Also, did it again saying 112.32 ping 12 And again, gone back to 33.41??? I'm on virgin 100. Got two mobiles, A Ring doorbell, working on my computer (not always on, once a day for an hour max) Samsung on netflix some times. Have Alexa, echo.

My Hub is under the tv, TV attached by Ethernet cable.

thanks, Gep
gep is offline   Reply With Quote