Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 10-12-2018, 12:31   #3391
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Has anyone had any V6 glitches when casting youtube videos?

Recently I've had:

Multiple V6 options on my phone when choosing which device to cast to, 4 is my record all named V6 Living Room.
When choosing one to cast the V6 reboots before even opening the app obviously messing up any recordings going on at the time.

Anyone else experiencing problems?

Thanks
Well reported on the Community forum.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2018, 23:49   #3392
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Well reported on the Community forum.
Thanks RobboEdin, always forget to look there. Cable Forum is always more helpful
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04   #3393
lightmyfire
Inactive

lightmyfire is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok my first post.

A bit of background before I rant on. Yes I am a self confessed geek and got Sky a few weeks after it was launched all those years ago. And it was bloody cold on the roof directing my dish manually. Had Sky in many guises until finally at £130+ a month I said enough is enough and moved to BT. Also have dabbled with Openvix, Kodi etc.

So anyway the lure of 350mb broadband was too much so I bought out of my latest BT contract (Virgin had tempted me with £150 credit).

And what a shock!!! The interface for the V6 is appalling. 'Traditional' Sky (not exprienced Q), BT and even my customised Kodi and Openvix devices knock spots off it. i cannot believe how poor an interface is.

Given the competition i.e. Sky Q, surely a new front end must be on the cards.

Oh and I had heard that HD quality isn't the best. Well after switching from BT to Virgin I can certainly concur with that. A definate slight blurring.

I mean loads of stuff on catchup arent there from the night before and often series are missing episodes

You know what - I've got 11 months left. Can't wait to switch back to BT despite only getting 38mb braodband.

Sorry, don't mean to offend here. And hoepfully i can provide constructive feedback/answers as well.

Rant over
lightmyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 14:13   #3394
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmyfire View Post
Ok my first post.

A bit of background before I rant on. Yes I am a self confessed geek and got Sky a few weeks after it was launched all those years ago. And it was bloody cold on the roof directing my dish manually. Had Sky in many guises until finally at £130+ a month I said enough is enough and moved to BT. Also have dabbled with Openvix, Kodi etc.

So anyway the lure of 350mb broadband was too much so I bought out of my latest BT contract (Virgin had tempted me with £150 credit).

And what a shock!!! The interface for the V6 is appalling. 'Traditional' Sky (not exprienced Q), BT and even my customised Kodi and Openvix devices knock spots off it. i cannot believe how poor an interface is.

Given the competition i.e. Sky Q, surely a new front end must be on the cards.

Oh and I had heard that HD quality isn't the best. Well after switching from BT to Virgin I can certainly concur with that. A definate slight blurring.

I mean loads of stuff on catchup arent there from the night before and often series are missing episodes

You know what - I've got 11 months left. Can't wait to switch back to BT despite only getting 38mb braodband.

Sorry, don't mean to offend here. And hoepfully i can provide constructive feedback/answers as well.

Rant over
Ha! Agree with you about the UI, and I have raised this myself on here, although many seem to believe that is not important. Clearly, it is, because it makes the service look old fashioned and puts people off if they are used to Sky Q and BT. However, the interface will be changing as the new Horizon UI is rolled out across Europe. Not sure how long it will take to get here though.

I don't have the issues with PQ that you have mentioned. I presume you have tried out the various settings on your V6 and the TV.

I tend not to watch much of Virgin's on demand apart from the Virgin Exclusives because I record the things I want to see, so I cannot comment with great authority on series missing episodes. However, as far as catch up is concerned, did you know you could go back to programmes already shown on the EPG and view them from there? That may solve that problem for you.

Personally, I am quite pleased with the service. It would be better if the V6s could record more. I have two - one in the lounge and one in the bedroom, and I can record on each as well as watch the bedroom recordings in the lounge and vice versa. Better than the Sky mini-box idea, because you cannot record on them.

Recording in HD, the 1MB capacity on the hard drive is not good enough really and I have to use my DVD recorder to give me a further 500 hours worth of HD recordings.

I love the fact that I can bookmark my Netflix shows so that they appear with all my recordings (without taking up recording space) and I prefer Virgin's on demand system in that you can just watch the programmes as soon as you select them, without having to download them first.

In the end, lightmyfire, I guess you just have to choose the best system that suits you.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 11-12-2018 at 14:17.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 14:31   #3395
lightmyfire
Inactive

lightmyfire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ha! Agree with you about the UI, and I have raised this myself on here, although many seem to believe that is not important. Clearly, it is, because it makes the service look old fashioned and puts people off if they are used to Sky Q and BT. However, the interface will be changing as the new Horizon UI is rolled out across Europe. Not sure how long it will take to get here though.

I don't have the issues with PQ that you have mentioned. I presume you have tried out the various settings on your V6 and the TV.

I tend not to watch much of Virgin's on demand apart from the Virgin Exclusives because I record the things I want to see, so I cannot comment with great authority on series missing episodes. However, as far as catch up is concerned, did you know you could go back to programmes already shown on the EPG and view them from there? That may solve that problem for you.

Personally, I am quite pleased with the service. It would be better if the V6s could record more. I have two - one in the lounge and one in the bedroom, and I can record on each as well as watch the bedroom recordings in the lounge and vice versa. Better than the Sky mini-box idea, because you cannot record on them.

Recording in HD, the 1MB capacity on the hard drive is not good enough really and I have to use my DVD recorder to give me a further 500 hours worth of HD recordings.

I love the fact that I can bookmark my Netflix shows so that they appear with all my recordings (without taking up recording space) and I prefer Virgin's on demand system in that you can just watch the programmes as soon as you select them, without having to download them first.

In the end, lightmyfire, I guess you just have to choose the best system that suits you.
Didn't know about the 'going back' on the EPG. Cheers for that

To be honest I rarely watch more than the sport channels and Wheeler Dealers (sad I know) and I have one of those Harmony remotes which takes me straight to them.

But it's the ear ache I get from the wife who, after around 4 years, had just mastered the BT box lol
lightmyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 14:33   #3396
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmyfire View Post
Didn't know about the 'going back' on the EPG. Cheers for that

To be honest I rarely watch more than the sport channels and Wheeler Dealers (sad I know) and I have one of those Harmony remotes which takes me straight to them.

But it's the ear ache I get from the wife who, after around 4 years, had just mastered the BT box lol
She'll get used to it! I know what you mean though!
Old 11-12-2018, 21:11   #3397
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Have to agree, re the miserly disk size on the V6, however if you have skyQ you can have a 2Tb box which is the equivalent of 2 V6 boxes.

You can also start watching downloaded programs on sky boxes after a small %age has been downloaded - I believe the exact amount depends on your download speed.

Please enlighten me how you record HD recordings on your DVD recorder?

Last edited by Raider999; 11-12-2018 at 21:14.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:36   #3398
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Have to agree, re the miserly disk size on the V6, however if you have skyQ you can have a 2Tb box which is the equivalent of 2 V6 boxes.

You can also start watching downloaded programs on sky boxes after a small %age has been downloaded - I believe the exact amount depends on your download speed.

Please enlighten me how you record HD recordings on your DVD recorder?
I use my DVD recorder to watch the terrestrial HD channels received through my aerial. The recorder upscales to near UHD quality.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:34   #3399
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I use my DVD recorder to watch the terrestrial HD channels received through my aerial. The recorder upscales to near UHD quality.
So that is upscaled SD. Upscaled SD can look very good, but it won't compare to good UHD (or HD).

That said, Quality is subjective, and resolution can be misleading. One of my jobs at work is to lend students equipment. Predominantly Laptops, Cameras and Microphones. The cameras we had varied from low-end camcorders up to a couple of RED Ones (the camera body alone is over £20,000, so you can easily pay over £30,000 for a full kit including lenses, mounts, batteries, tripods and a viewfinder). The low end cameras were Sony Mini DV camcorders, and were getting old, so my boss went out and bought a load of low end Sanyo Full HD Digital Video camcorders. The picture on the videos recorded on these cameras was awful. Far worse than the SD picture recorded by the Sony Mini DVs.

Yet, the specs of the cameras were considerably better than the Sonys they replaced.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 15:59   #3400
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
So that is upscaled SD. Upscaled SD can look very good, but it won't compare to good UHD (or HD).

That said, Quality is subjective, and resolution can be misleading. One of my jobs at work is to lend students equipment. Predominantly Laptops, Cameras and Microphones. The cameras we had varied from low-end camcorders up to a couple of RED Ones (the camera body alone is over £20,000, so you can easily pay over £30,000 for a full kit including lenses, mounts, batteries, tripods and a viewfinder). The low end cameras were Sony Mini DV camcorders, and were getting old, so my boss went out and bought a load of low end Sanyo Full HD Digital Video camcorders. The picture on the videos recorded on these cameras was awful. Far worse than the SD picture recorded by the Sony Mini DVs.

Yet, the specs of the cameras were considerably better than the Sonys they replaced.
No. I have a 4K Panasonic recorder. As I said, the HD programmes received are upscaled to near UHD quality.
Old 12-12-2018, 16:22   #3401
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
No. I have a 4K Panasonic recorder. As I said, the HD programmes received are upscaled to near UHD quality.
Nice. Most recorders are HDD only these days, glad there are still some with disk media.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 17:44   #3402
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Nice. Most recorders are HDD only these days, glad there are still some with disk media.
Yes, I paid extra for this recorder, which has a hard drive, and it has been worth it. The PQ looks even better than the V6, and that looks good in itself!
Old 14-01-2019, 14:56   #3403
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Some possible improvements coming to the V6 box before much longer.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-TiVo-CES-2019

EXTRACT

Firstly, like Sky Q, TiVo has introduced voice search which allows you to find content and control what you are watching simply by speaking into the remote.

This option not only reveals instant searches for movies and TV shows but you can also find content based on your favourite stars and genres.

Once you're watching a programme a clever skip mode means you'll never have to watch an advert again and every film that's available on the service has a Metacritic rating instantly viewable from the home screen.

Another neat option is TiVo's ability to reveal how exciting live sport is with a constantly updated real-time score out of 100 giving fans an idea of whether it's worth tuning into the game.

Then there's the ability to learn who watches TV at a particular time and offer up unique content depending on which member of the family has just switched on the TV.

And it's not just the software and content that TiVo has improved as there's also some hardware updates that give it an advantage.

TiVo works closely with Virgin but the firm's are revealing what might be coming next.

One issue that Virgin is yet to fix is multi-room viewing with customers currently needing to take delivery of another main V6 box to watch TV in other rooms.

TiVo has solved this problem in the US by having mini boxes which connect to the main device and offer a seamless viewing experience.

The firm has also solved the issue of having multiple streaming devices as the latest TiVo box can control other external systems, such as Roku, without switching HDMI ports.

These are all massively useful additions but will they ever come to the UK?

Virgin Media won't confirm any new features set to arrive on its V6 box with the company only confirming that it works closely with TiVo.

However, with one of Virgin's biggest rivals already offering voice search and multi-room mini boxes it seems likely that some of the features TiVo has already launched across the pond will arrive in UK in the future.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 14-01-2019 at 14:59.
Old 14-01-2019, 15:01   #3404
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l read this earlier this morning so lets see what possibly transpires this year with the V6 box.
Old 14-01-2019, 17:05   #3405
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm confused with that article , I thought it had been mentioned that Virgin would move away from TiVo in favour of Horizon ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote