Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC iplayer problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC iplayer problem

Old 22-12-2014, 12:35   #91
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: BBC iplayer problem

Hate replying to my own posts :-(

I've just had a response on the VM support forum, that the congestion in my area now has a review date of March 2015, the third fault ref I've had for it. So from getting TiVo installed in July 2014 and reporting problems pretty much since the start...
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2014, 15:07   #92
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Hate replying to my own posts :-(

I've just had a response on the VM support forum, that the congestion in my area now has a review date of March 2015, the third fault ref I've had for it. So from getting TiVo installed in July 2014 and reporting problems pretty much since the start...

That's totally unacceptable, shame on you Virgin!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 16:40   #93
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Yes, that is pretty poor. If it's a problem relating to congestion, you wouldn't have thought it would take so long to increase capacity.

Having said that, maybe the way the system was set up needs unscrambling, which could take longer than resolving a more straight forward problem. Still, having to wait three months does seem excessive.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 20:41   #94
clumsymum
Inactive

Services: BB M TV L and V+ Phone L
clumsymum is on a distinguished roadclumsymum is on a distinguished road

Sorry to Hi-jack this, but seems relevant, rather than starting a whole new thread. We have NEVER had satisfactory iPlayer use on our Tivo over the 2 years + we have had it (including 2 replacement units), and mid last year gave up and bought a smart Blu-ray player which is SUPERB, never stutters or struggles at all on iPlayer (and gets Amazon instant video as well).

our contract is up in February, I'm really thinking of just chucking out VM TV. We pay a lot of money for an unsatisfactory service, and VM customer service just don't care. So I think I might have to suffer a little and lose a few channels (such as Gold), but save a lot of money AND frustration by not using the Tivo

Oh, and it spontaneously re-boots itself mid-program - which meant it lost us the last 10 minutes of recording Esio Trot on New years day !! Fortunately we could watch it on iPlayer on the Blu-ray player we have bought - but really, the Tivo is chuffing pointless now...
clumsymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 22:08   #95
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, that is pretty poor. If it's a problem relating to congestion, you wouldn't have thought it would take so long to increase capacity.

Having said that, maybe the way the system was set up needs unscrambling, which could take longer than resolving a more straight forward problem. Still, having to wait three months does seem excessive.
It now turns out that our broadband-proper is also beginning to suffer at peak times, and has a utilisation fault logged against it. Buy one-get-one-free :-(
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 13:26   #96
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsymum View Post
Sorry to Hi-jack this, but seems relevant, rather than starting a whole new thread. We have NEVER had satisfactory iPlayer use on our Tivo over the 2 years + we have had it (including 2 replacement units), and mid last year gave up and bought a smart Blu-ray player which is SUPERB, never stutters or struggles at all on iPlayer (and gets Amazon instant video as well).

our contract is up in February, I'm really thinking of just chucking out VM TV. We pay a lot of money for an unsatisfactory service, and VM customer service just don't care. So I think I might have to suffer a little and lose a few channels (such as Gold), but save a lot of money AND frustration by not using the Tivo

Oh, and it spontaneously re-boots itself mid-program - which meant it lost us the last 10 minutes of recording Esio Trot on New years day !! Fortunately we could watch it on iPlayer on the Blu-ray player we have bought - but really, the Tivo is chuffing pointless now...
What do Customer Services say about your complaint? They should be taking it seriously as it is a problem for so many people and it needs dealing with.
Old 08-01-2015, 14:01   #97
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

I must admit to using the TiVo iPlayer app for the first time in two years last night and although it loaded up reasonably quickly, once I started watching the show all I got was the dreaded spinning circle.

I gave up after a minute and switched to my TV's app which worked perfectly. Can't say I'll be trying the TiVo app again in the future. If anything I'm doing my bit to ease congestion in my area
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 13:38   #98
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Is anyone actually able to use their i-Player during the evening without interruption? It's been horrendous in my area recently.

Also, does anyone know when we are getting the new version of i-Player? I'm still hoping this will resolve the main issues at least. I thought this was coming before Christmas, but I guess they didn't say which Christmas.
Old 09-01-2015, 14:47   #99
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Is anyone actually able to use their i-Player during the evening without interruption?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know when we are getting the new version of i-Player?
No release date has been announced AFAIAA.

Quote:
I thought this was coming before Christmas, but I guess they didn't say which Christmas.
Who are "they"? I can't find timescales mentioned by VM. Just a BBC blog from last May that said "We are hoping to bring this to YouView and Virgin Media TiVo devices this year".
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 20:19   #100
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Who are "they"? I can't find timescales mentioned by VM. Just a BBC blog from last May that said "We are hoping to bring this to YouView and Virgin Media TiVo devices this year".
I don't know, Spiderplant but I read it somewhere. I don't think it was a blog, I thought it was the BBC - however it was a few months ago and I've forgotten now.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:07   #101
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't know, Spiderplant but I read it somewhere. I don't think it was a blog, I thought it was the BBC - however it was a few months ago and I've forgotten now.
I've seen this too, it is on you view now. however, I thought the iplayer issue was being resolved by VM on 20th January.
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:16   #102
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
however, I thought the iplayer issue was being resolved by VM on 20th January.
There is no single iplayer issue. If you have been quoted a date of 20th January, that could be the planned date for a network capacity upgrade in your area.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:30   #103
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
There is no single iplayer issue. If you have been quoted a date of 20th January, that could be the planned date for a network capacity upgrade in your area.
Actually not local date- nationally, from vm themselves. vm have a fault on iplayer utilisation which should be fixed by then, but in the past the date was extended.
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 14:40   #104
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
Actually not local date- nationally, from vm themselves. vm have a fault on iplayer utilisation which should be fixed by then, but in the past the date was extended.
Who at VM told you this? Did they give you a fault ticket number?
Old 10-01-2015, 14:52   #105
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Nke5339?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote