Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC iplayer problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC iplayer problem

Old 12-11-2014, 21:26   #61
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: BBC iplayer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If everyone who continues to have problems with the BBC i-Player rang Virgin to complain, the sheer numbers should prompt them to do something. A lot of people have just been putting up with it.

Having said that, I've had no further problems with it since they 'fixed' the problem a few days ago.
I was given a fix date of 12th November for my DOCSIS-1 peak-time congestion..apparently the work has been done but it's not done the trick, now the end of Q1 2015 by all accounts.. The jury's out on whether I can reliably stream in HD at peak times.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2014, 17:31   #62
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The latest episode of the Gadget Show has compared Sky,VM and BT's boxes. Tivo didn't fare very well with the interface being described as 'clunky' (even after the latest update)and the iPlayer being highlighted as a major issue which VM haven't solved (where it works fine on other platforms).
http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-ga.../episode-9-342 (about 8 minutes in)
Strange VM don't seem to acknowledge the widespread issue and keep putting this down to individual faults.

Beginning to think this problem has been going on for so long ( ie years) that there isn't a solution and Tivo will never handle iPlayer. Either we'll have to wait for a new box, or VM will have to reconsider how they deliver catch up for BBC programmes. The Sky Box seems to download programmes before playing, couldn't Tivo be configured to do this ?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 19:22   #63
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Strange VM don't seem to acknowledge the widespread issue and keep putting this down to individual faults.
That's because they are individual faults. I really wish it was one fault. It's much easier to fix one than lots of them.

Quote:
Beginning to think this problem has been going on for so long ( ie years) that there isn't a solution and Tivo will never handle iPlayer. Either we'll have to wait for a new box, or VM will have to reconsider how they deliver catch up for BBC programmes.
The network needs fixing, not the TiVo.

Quote:
The Sky Box seems to download programmes before playing, couldn't Tivo be configured to do this ?
Probably, but it's the wrong solution.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 22:22   #64
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The problems with iPlayer have been ongoing for years on Tivo. If it's network related that's more than enough time to invest and fix the problems. iPlayer issues seem to be becoming more common (as more get Tivo?).

I sense a head in the sand attitude from VM. Making it all plum coloured isn't going to fix things or fool anybody. Hopefully this weeks Gadget Show 'outing' of Tivo's failings will spark some action; not holding my breath....
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 14:09   #65
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I'm just clinging on to the hope that the revamped i-Player will cure the problem, but I'm not placing any money on it.

This is really urgent now, it is not doing Virgin's reputation much good not being able to show this important VOD facility when all the other operators seem to be able to do it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 14:24   #66
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

I had exactly the same BBCi issues a few months back and they went on for 4 or 5 months.

Then all of a sudden about a month ago they disappeared.

Very strange.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 19:36   #67
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
I had exactly the same BBCi issues a few months back and they went on for 4 or 5 months.

Then all of a sudden about a month ago they disappeared.

Very strange.
Sounds like the network in your area was upgraded.
Old 24-11-2014, 23:49   #68
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

BBCiplayer is unwatchable on TiVo all virgin say is ongoing problem but upstairs on the V+ box no problem at all all though not all programs are on like on the TiVo.
yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 13:20   #69
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
BBCiplayer is unwatchable on TiVo all virgin say is ongoing problem but upstairs on the V+ box no problem at all all though not all programs are on like on the TiVo.
It's not the same version of the iplayer on the V+.

I think you should report it, because if as spiderplant says the problem is congestion, I expect they wait for people to report problems before they act on it.
Old 25-11-2014, 13:40   #70
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I think you should report it, because if as spiderplant says the problem is congestion, I expect they wait for people to report problems before they act on it.
Not at all, we have lots of network monitoring and know where the problems are.
Old 25-11-2014, 13:44   #71
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Not at all, we have lots of network monitoring and know where the problems are.
That's reeassuring, spiderplant. However, are Virgin actually getting on with resolving this problem? I do understand that if there are different problems in different parts of the network, this will take longer to resolve, but is there an end in sight?
Old 25-11-2014, 13:47   #72
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Sounds like the network in your area was upgraded.
Im LU postcode Spider... I hope I have been
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 14:54   #73
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

In the recent past I've suffered dreadful problems with BBC iPlayer on TiVo with any HD programme impossible to watch and complained. For the last week or so the problem seems to have been fixed in my area (London). Somebody out there must be listening.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 22:22   #74
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That's reeassuring, spiderplant. However, are Virgin actually getting on with resolving this problem? I do understand that if there are different problems in different parts of the network, this will take longer to resolve, but is there an end in sight?
Virgin are getting on with it, but while usage continues to grow there will be no end. Areas get fixed and other areas become congested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Im LU postcode Spider... I hope I have been
I expect there have been many upgrades in the LU postcode area. The problems are very localised. Each one only affects a few streets.
Old 27-11-2014, 00:37   #75
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
I expect there have been many upgrades in the LU postcode area. The problems are very localised. Each one only affects a few streets.
Interesting, so presumably down to a few too many TiVo users connected to individual cabinets, rather than across a UBR as a whole (probably got the terminology wrong!)

I guess this means that not many TiVo-10Mb capacity issues need the more-drastic fixes of new ducting/cabinets etc then. That's good, seeing as the fix-date I was given previously apparently slipped - and I've been struggling to get sensible updates so far :-(
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote