Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2019, 22:16   #661
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What a ridiculous statement! Parliament is normally in recess for the party conferences. To try to put on an important debate and vote on a day that clashes with the CPC is undemocratic and certainly indicates why Boris wanted to prorogue Parliament. He should do it again, given these snide moves.

The opposition are scared witless of the Conservative Party Conference as the public will then see clearly that the Conservative Party are the only party that is fit to take office. With a good majority, we will all be able to put this nonsense behind us. Hung parliaments are not good for the country as you cannot get decisions through with a determined opposition.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

What, the time is right when the Conservatives are absent? Why could they not wait until Thursday? It is very clear the game they are playing. The public will not be impressed.
Boris is so hard done by.... Boo Hoo

You're clutching at straws with this one. In the grand scheme of things the public wont even give this particular item a 2nd thought when the time comes at the Ballot box.

Boris could have played fair with parliament he chose not too, he can hardly play the victim when the tables have been turned.
Old 28-09-2019, 22:24   #662
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
What a ridiculous statement! Parliament is normally in recess for the party conferences. To try to put on an important debate and vote on a day that clashes with the CPC is undemocratic and certainly indicates why Boris wanted to prorogue Parliament. He should do it again, given these snide moves.

The opposition are scared witless of the Conservative Party Conference as the public will then see clearly that the Conservative Party are the only party that is fit to take office. With a good majority, we will all be able to put this nonsense behind us. Hung parliaments are not good for the country as you cannot get decisions through with a determined opposition.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

What, the time is right when the Conservatives are absent? Why could they not wait until Thursday? It is very clear the game they are playing. The public will not be impressed.
So they couldn’t come back?

Your claim is preposterous and you know it. It’s essentially trolling to know you are in the wrong yet peddle flawed discussion lines continuously.

If there’s a VONC on Wednesday they’ll be told the day before and can make arrangements to attend. Boris wants to lose a VONC. Jeremy asks for an extension and Boris gets his election.
Old 29-09-2019, 09:46   #663
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm sure others will chime in on your remark. Had there been a normal conference recess period, nothing would have happened to disrupt the CPC. Boris' miscalculated prorogation is the cause of this part of the mess that is Parliament.

And I'm still a Conservative Party member.
Spot on. You play with fire, you get burnt.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Nothing in that about Wednesday.
Is the Wednesday vote a possible scenario and no more, then?
Old 29-09-2019, 09:58   #664
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

One of the things that gets to me beyond the arrogance of Parliament in the face of the Referendum, is that Boris was overwhelmingly elected to be Tory leader by the party membership; yet c. 20 Tory rebels can't accept that either, causing Boris to act recklessly with the Constitution.

But now that Boris has withdrawn the whip from 21 MPs, they won't be there when he needs them.

Moving on from that, those Tory traitors (for that's what they are) have supported the aptly named "Surrender Act" which puts our immediate future into the hands of the EU who can determine the extension period if any. "Traitor" is an apt word in both senses.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:13   #665
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
One of the things that gets to me beyond the arrogance of Parliament in the face of the Referendum, is that Boris was overwhelmingly elected to be Tory leader by the party membership; yet c. 20 Tory rebels can't accept that either, causing Boris to act recklessly with the Constitution.

But now that Boris has withdrawn the whip from 21 MPs, they won't be there when he needs them.

Moving on from that, those Tory traitors (for that's what they are) have supported the aptly named "Surrender Act" which puts our immediate future into the hands of the EU who can determine the extension period if any. "Traitor" is an apt word in both senses.

Theresa May was elected unopposed in the third ballot (which, I think, also counts as "overwhelming) as Leadsom withdrew, but 39 Tory MPs voted against her (including Patel, Raab, BJ, JRM) - should they be branded ”Tory traitors"?

Using words like "traitor" inflames the easily provoked, and can lead to threats and violence - I believe that phrase is inappropriate. Some colleagues of mine in the RAF worked with Geoffrey Prime - he was a traitor.

Words can have consequences, so I wish people would use them more carefully.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:24   #666
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So they couldn’t come back?

Your claim is preposterous and you know it. It’s essentially trolling to know you are in the wrong yet peddle flawed discussion lines continuously.

If there’s a VONC on Wednesday they’ll be told the day before and can make arrangements to attend. Boris wants to lose a VONC. Jeremy asks for an extension and Boris gets his election.
He might want to lose a vote of no confidence, but he wouldn't want to put Corbyn in power. They will need to be in attendance to ensure that does not happen.

Nothing preposterous about it and the point I was making was that the opposition is complaining about Boris's 'dirty tricks' and then they pull a stunt like this.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:26   #667
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

'surrender' , 'traitors', all words designed to provoke. This isn't going to end well.

Who are those hoping for civil unrest? Those looking to cling onto power is the answer, not some lefty anarchists.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:31   #668
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Theresa May was elected unopposed in the third ballot (which, I think, also counts as "overwhelming) as Leadsom withdrew, but 39 Tory MPs voted against her (including Patel, Raab, BJ, JRM) - should they be branded ”Tory traitors"?

Using words like "traitor" inflames the easily provoked, and can lead to threats and violence - I believe that phrase is inappropriate. Some colleagues of mine in the RAF worked with Geoffrey Prime - he was a traitor.

Words can have consequences, so I wish people would use them more carefully.
I understand the point you've made about the word "traitor".
But I feel so strongly about this - notwithstanding that Boris is not my choice of leader; yet I haven't left the Party nor was I a traitor for not supporting his candidacy. The May selection was an internal matter; the "traitorous" actions of the 21 were a whipped Parliamentary matter, a huge difference.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:32   #669
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
'surrender' , 'traitors', all words designed to provoke. This isn't going to end well.

Who are those hoping for civil unrest? Those looking to cling onto power is the answer, not some lefty anarchists.
These descriptions are no worse than 'poll tax' and 'bedroom tax' used by Labour in the past. They don't like it when the boot is on the other foot and the descriptions are more apt.

No-one in their right minds wants civil unrest and certainly not the government. It is the people who are trying to undermine democracy who are making all the noise out there at the moment, so you might want to re-think.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:37   #670
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

For those wanting to know more about the issue that Boris faces from his GLA days, The Sunday Times says three questions need answers from him.
https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/sta...123904/photo/1

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote:
I understand the point you've made about the word "traitor".
But I feel so strongly about this - notwithstanding that Boris is not my choice of leader; yet I haven't left the Party nor was I a traitor for not supporting his candidacy. The May selection was an internal matter; the "traitorous" actions of the 21 were a whipped Parliamentary matter, a huge difference.
The Conservative Party is a broad church with an until-now noble tradition of disagreement.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:
These descriptions are no worse than 'poll tax' and 'bedroom tax' used by Labour in the past. They don't like it when the boot is on the other foot and the descriptions are more apt.
Stuff and nonsense. Calling something a tax is different from calling someone a traitor.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:53   #671
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
and b) be out by 31st October, which is not obeying the law.
That is entirely possible. There is nothing in the bill that says it is illegal to exit the EU by 31st Oct.
Old 29-09-2019, 11:34   #672
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
He might want to lose a vote of no confidence, but he wouldn't want to put Corbyn in power. They will need to be in attendance to ensure that does not happen.

Nothing preposterous about it and the point I was making was that the opposition is complaining about Boris's 'dirty tricks' and then they pull a stunt like this.
No such stunt has been pulled.

If he feels strongly against Corbyn why not ask for the extension himself then call a GE? It’s a total red herring on your part. Boris and his tricks cost Parliamentary time, which they can now claw back.

Poll tax wasn’t a tax? Huge leap there Old Boy.

Last edited by jfman; 29-09-2019 at 11:39.
Old 29-09-2019, 11:42   #673
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

If he feels strongly against Corbyn why not ask for the extension himself then call a GE? It’s a total red herring on your part. Boris and his tricks cost Parliamentary time, which they can now claw back.

Poll tax wasn’t a tax?
Huge leap there Old Boy.
it says here that it was.
The Community Charge, commonly known as the poll tax, was a system of taxation introduced in replacement of domestic rates in Scotland from 1989, prior to its introduction in England and Wales from 1990. It provided for a single flat-rate per-capita tax on every adult, at a rate set by the local authority. The charge was replaced by Council Tax in 1993, two years after its abolition was announced.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_tax_(Great_Britain)
Old 29-09-2019, 12:07   #674
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
it says here that it was.
The Community Charge, commonly known as the poll tax, was a system of taxation introduced in replacement of domestic rates in Scotland from 1989, prior to its introduction in England and Wales from 1990. It provided for a single flat-rate per-capita tax on every adult, at a rate set by the local authority. The charge was replaced by Council Tax in 1993, two years after its abolition was announced.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_tax_(Great_Britain)
I don't think Old Boy doubts it was a tax, just that he thinks it unfair to call it a tax on voting. Branding a tax or charge a poll tax is of course not the same as calling a person a traitor.
Old 29-09-2019, 12:33   #675
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
For those wanting to know more about the issue that Boris faces from his GLA days, The Sunday Times says three questions need answers from him.
https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/sta...123904/photo/1

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

The Conservative Party is a broad church with an until-now noble tradition of disagreement.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Stuff and nonsense. Calling something a tax is different from calling someone a traitor.
So you distinguish between an inaccurate description of 'something' with an accurate description of 'someone' and conclude that the accurate description is wrong.

What a strange world you are living in, Andrew.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Quote:

Poll tax wasn’t a tax? Huge leap there Old Boy.
It was not the poll tax, it was the Community Charge, and then the council tax.

You say that no stunt has been pulled. Are you in denial that this is what is being planned?

Why would Boris ask for an extension when he has pledged to leave by 31 October? You're not really joining up the dots here, jfman.
Closed Thread