Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

Old 03-08-2018, 06:37   #5491
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Stii hope that something can be worked out den. I never believed I would get to a point where I am starting to feel more optimistic about the future.

I too was on very high dosage steroids which kept me alive when my Immune System was doing it's dangist to kill me. The steroids left me with Diabetes and a damaged heart, kidney problems - now sorted, horrendous weight gain and osteoporosis . It's taken 12 years to get things under a semblance of control and I live in fear of things getting out of control again and having to have that drug again. I hate that savage drug even though it saved my life.
Thanks jo as yes l just take each day as it comes and have always tried to be positive as l think that helps a awful lot when one is fighting battles on a regular basis.

l am just glad that you feel in a much better place now jo that you did before as l can certainly totally understand how hard it must have been for you through those tough moments.
Old 05-08-2018, 15:03   #5492
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

My son had his induction yesterday and things are not what we originally thought.

Right here goes.

Sunday -17:00-21:00, Thursday 17:00-21:00, Friday 17:00-21:00, Saturday 17:00-21:00 these will be his core hours.
Availability window outwith core hours-Monday 17:00-21:00, Tuesday 17:00-22:00, Wednesday 17:00-21:00 and Saturday 09:00-22:00.

Unfortunately, he got his pay wrong as the pay was for the premium rate but he is still quite happy as his pay is atm £7.62, this is slightly higher for the weekend shifts plus in November his basic pay rises to £8.42. Working out his hourly rate atm for his hours his pay is £7.87 which is still good for a 16-year-old.

He has accepted his contact and it's a Flexi contract.

As his parents, this new Flexi contract that he accepted yesterday concerned us slightly as it is our understanding they can get him in on his availability window and can discipline him as if he refused to work within his availability window, we are hoping this is not the case.

We discussed our concerns with him and being only 16 he did not realise that he could be disciplined for refusal of his availability window this is what comes across to us as it states and I quote "The company needs you to maintain the flexibility you have specified if you are consistently unable to work you flexible addition hours when you have been asked to this may be considered a breach of you contract of employment and could result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal" and on that note we have advised him he needs day's off and when he goes in today to ask them to explain what a Flexi contract entails and if our suspicions are correct then ask if he can complete an updated availability sheet with the removal the Tuesday and Wednesday timeframe, I really hope that they understand that he has no understanding of contracts for this error and don't sack him before he has a chance to prove himself.

Does anyone think this is bad advice in him asking if he can complete an updated availability sheet any feedback will be most welcome as atm I'm a very worried Mum but not showing my concerns to my youngest?

PS our eldest thinks they will/should change this as yes it's his brother's error but at the same time they should take into account his age and his inexperience in the working environment, I really hope he is right in his views.

Last edited by weenie; 05-08-2018 at 15:19.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 16:09   #5493
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Hi weenie.

Looking at the words used in you post I presume you are north of the border.

Reading what you have said and looking at the hours I'm guessing that your son is entering the retail industry. I could be wrong.

Can you let me know before I comment further?

I'll be back later tonight.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 16:18   #5494
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Yes we live in Scotland and he has just started at Tesco yesterday interview for the job was last Tuesday and it was meant to be Saturday and Sunday then yesterday he was told the job is on a flexi contract we did not know this as he applied himself and did not ask our opinion on what he was applying for the trouble is he is staying on at school to do highers then hopefully off to Uni.

I'm hoping Tesco will not hold him to his available hours just his core hours during exams.

This is what concerns me The company needs you to maintain the flexibility you have specified if you are consistently unable to work you flexible addition hours when you have been asked to this may be considered a breach of you contract of employment and could result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
Old 05-08-2018, 16:37   #5495
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

He maybe better off taking the other job closer to home if the hours are better suited.

Does this link have any baring on what ours a 16 year old can legally work?

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment
Old 05-08-2018, 16:47   #5496
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

The trouble is he wants Tesco and is leaving the worrying to us parents lol

I agree with hindsight the Home Bargains one would be better suited in many ways but the pay swung it for him tbh
Old 05-08-2018, 17:02   #5497
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post

I agree with hindsight the Home Bargains one would be better suited in many ways but the pay swung it for him tbh
I'll be meeting an ex Tesco and current Tesco emplyees (all friends) in about an hour for a drink.

I'll pick their brains for more info and get back later.

I have an idea what they are going to say but will not pre-empt it.
Old 05-08-2018, 17:10   #5498
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Thank you Pip
Old 05-08-2018, 18:04   #5499
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Did you check the link regarding legal working hours for a 16 year old?
Old 05-08-2018, 19:30   #5500
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Did you check the link regarding legal working hours for a 16 year old?
Once someone reaches 16

Young workers aged 16 to 17 are entitled to at least £4.20 per hour.

If you’re a registered employer, you’ll need to record and report their pay as part of running payroll. If they earn more than £116 a week, you’ll also need to do other regular PAYE tasks like making deductions.

Before their next payday, collect information from them for PAYE. If they started work for you in the previous tax year, put their start date as 5 April in your payroll software. Record their pay for the current tax year only.

His take-home pay will be £125.82 this includes #Sunday premium so I have a really bad feeling that unless he has a really understanding manager then he will just need to the additional hours' atm if and when required, that is unless Pip can advise otherwise.

On the way to his work tonight we advised him to keep quite atm but at the same time test the water and ask other employees his age or students and see if the store allows you to refuse your additional during the study periods.

In a way, it's our fault he has seen his Dad all his life work night shift, overtime then he has witnessed his big brother work since he was 16 while at school then at Uni, then he witnessed me work and take every bit of overtime I could get until I became too ill to work. When he was applying for job's all three of us said to do the hours and say he would be willing to work overtime if and when required as we had never heard of a Flexi contract until now and when he put additional hours down he assumed that was day's he could do overtime as this was not explained to him, it was not until he came home and told us he was on a flexi contract and once I looked into it my heart just sank at the wording it was then I pointed out to him that it comes across that Tesco will expect him to work his flexible addition hours.

On googling this contract and Tesco it does seem a bit of a hit and miss as some say while studying they were allowed to refuse and on the other side, some are saying that they were told if they refuse they will face disciplinary action.

I think his best option atm is to go with the flow and join the union then if he is being forced to do these additional hours during exams then he contacts his union rep and tells them that his circumstances have changed and see what his options are, surely Tesco understands this when they employ 16-year-olds and will allow him to refuse his flexible addition hours during exam time after all do most workplaces nowadays not constantly state about work-life and balance surely they will allow a fixed shift pattern during exam time for the working students they employ I know Sainsbury's does.

I may be worrying over nothing only time will tell

Last edited by weenie; 05-08-2018 at 19:51.
Old 05-08-2018, 23:23   #5501
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

I just love my eldest son he came across this https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...-on-employment

Hours of work and rest breaks
16 – 18 year olds
If you are over school leaving age and under 18, the law says that you must not work more than eight hours a day, or more than 40 hours a week. You must have twelve hours rest between each working day, and two rest days per working week. You are also entitled to a 30-minute rest break when you work for longer than four and a half hours.

Time off for study or training
If you are an employee aged 16 or 17 and have not yet achieved a certain standard of education or training, you are entitled to reasonable time off work for study or training. The time off should be paid at your normal hourly rate.

Last edited by weenie; 05-08-2018 at 23:38.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01   #5502
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I just love my eldest son he came across this https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...-on-employment

Hours of work and rest breaks
16 – 18 year olds
If you are over school leaving age and under 18, the law says that you must not work more than eight hours a day, or more than 40 hours a week. You must have twelve hours rest between each working day, and two rest days per working week. You are also entitled to a 30-minute rest break when you work for longer than four and a half hours.

Time off for study or training
If you are an employee aged 16 or 17 and have not yet achieved a certain standard of education or training, you are entitled to reasonable time off work for study or training. The time off should be paid at your normal hourly rate.
This is why i thought you would say more about his working hours from the link i posted.

Unless i am mistaken a 16 year old is still a child and he is still at school?

So from my link it says children can't work 'before 7am or after 7pm'

'for more than 4 hours without taking a break of at least 1 hour'

Term time rules

During term time children can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week. This includes:

a maximum of 2 hours on school days and Sundays
a maximum of 5 hours on Saturdays for 13 to 14-year-olds, or 8 hours for 15 to 16-year-olds

During school holidays 15 to 16-year-olds can only work a maximum of 35 hours a week. This includes:

a maximum of 8 hours on weekdays and Saturdays
a maximum of 2 hours on Sunday

Just realised these rules maybe different in Scotland!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:27   #5503
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

weenie, from enquiring last night this is what I was told by the present Tesco employees.

The additional hrs in the flexi contract are rarely required and are only there to cover sickness and holidays.

None of them knew of anyone who had been sacked for not being available.

Basically it gives them a pool to call from if necessary.

Sorry I can't help more.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55   #5504
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Scrap the previous post as I have just found out this does not apply so what he needs to asap is change his day's of availability asap and ask if they could remove Monday & Tuesday as according to Acas otherwise, this would be part of his contract.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:52   #5505
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Scrap the previous post as I have just found out this does not apply so what he needs to asap is change his day's of availability asap and ask if they could remove Monday & Tuesday as according to Acas otherwise, this would be part of his contract.

Getting complicated isnt it, i hope you can help him sort it all out or even get him to agree to the other job offer before it is too late.