Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oh no not aqain - SMTP problems!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

Oh no not aqain - SMTP problems!

Old 26-07-2009, 10:52   #16
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: Oh no not aqain - SMTP problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Not sure if this is connected but I use a similar setup to pentode and am getting increasing numbers of SMTP errors. First place I look is the status page and usually find a ticket on there like this one for yesterday.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/...ticket=1045042

Seems to be happening on a more frequent basis, probably why they're farming the mail over to Google.
Yes, the google migration is seen as a much needed shot in the arm for the blueyonder email system.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2009, 12:14   #17
pentode
Inactive

pentode is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies to date.
When I use Outlook Express there isn't any error messages it goes straight to the Out box and no error messages, open Out box and message clicking send nothing happens, so when you close outlook you are left with Outlook 'Sending Mail Pane' and I simply click cancel to rid.

However using Thunderbird I can send Emails but even the simplist of text like ABCDEFG can take a considerable time to go but they are sent.

If I install Windows on a spare hard drive and set up my Email account I get exactly the same effect so that rules Firewall and Anti virus out! I get exactly the same effect when I install Thunderbird - they do go eventually but it's a long wait whereas they don't go with Outlook Express.

Thanks to Popper... heres what I get when using command prompt and typing telnet smtp.blueyonder.co.uk 25

220 asmtp-out6.blueyonder.co.uk ESMTP Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:08:40 +0100
421 asmtp-out6.blueyonder.co.uk SMTP command timeout - closing connection

Connection to host lost

Does this throw any light, thanks.

Dave
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 15:33   #18
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentode View Post
Thanks for the replies to date.
When I use Outlook Express there isn't any error messages it goes straight to the Out box and no error messages, open Out box and message clicking send nothing happens, so when you close outlook you are left with Outlook 'Sending Mail Pane' and I simply click cancel to rid.

However using Thunderbird I can send Emails but even the simplist of text like ABCDEFG can take a considerable time to go but they are sent.

If I install Windows on a spare hard drive and set up my Email account I get exactly the same effect so that rules Firewall and Anti virus out! I get exactly the same effect when I install Thunderbird - they do go eventually but it's a long wait whereas they don't go with Outlook Express.

Thanks to Popper... heres what I get when using command prompt and typing telnet smtp.blueyonder.co.uk 25

220 asmtp-out6.blueyonder.co.uk ESMTP Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:08:40 +0100
421 asmtp-out6.blueyonder.co.uk SMTP command timeout - closing connection

Connection to host lost

Does this throw any light, thanks.

Dave
Does suggest a possible fault on the BY platform if the emails are takig a while to send.

This is my connection to the BY mail platform using telnet:

Quote:
$ telnet smtp.blueyonder.co.uk 25
Trying 195.188.53.60...
Connected to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 asmtp-out2.blueyonder.co.uk ESMTP Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:31:10 +0100
As you see I didn't get a time out, but that doesn't mean anything.
Old 26-07-2009, 15:51   #19
pentode
Inactive

Gimme the inside of a radio transmitter any day, the time out I guess was because we all got sick of waiting for a response from server sounds like, as you say the no response doesn't mean anything its just the hang up call.... definitely not a job for Customer Services with their scripted prompts and poor English, around in circles we go no more and it's about time VM got their act together.

Dave
Old 26-07-2009, 16:35   #20
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Gimme the inside of a radio transmitter any day, the time out I guess was because we all got sick of waiting for a response from server sounds like, as you say the no response doesn't mean anything its just the hang up call.... definitely not a job for Customer Services with their scripted prompts and poor English, around in circles we go no more and it's about time VM got their act together.

Dave
You could try the Virgin Media newsgroup support, its staffed by some decent second line support people.
Old 26-07-2009, 23:03   #21
pentode
Inactive

I don't like using Newsgroups I'm afraid, I'll have a word with the upper realms at VM tomorrow with folks that have a little more 'clout'.

A little off topic here.
When the phone was off for almost two days those stupid people at customer services suggested I should have dialed the 150 number after complaining that I lost around £9 on my mobile phone trying - the darn network was down! I said repeatedly I tried a neighbours phone. I just can't stand those Customer service folks at VM... how stupid can they get?

Ah, well can only let you know how I get on, weekend again huh!

Thanks to all, Dave
Old 27-07-2009, 15:15   #22
pentode
Inactive

Apparently according to the engineer I spoke to this it's a server problem, but sadly he can not say when it will be fixed.... I wonder why?

As already mentioned about VM signing their Email customers over to GMail sometime next year I guess their attitude would be "Why the heck should we"!

See The Register for further details.

I certainly won't be using any web based emails guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a Email provider... and we all know whats behind it!

The question is now, do I keep on at them bringing CISA the Internet watchdog into the equation, grin and bear it or wave goodbye lock stock and barrel?

Davy
Old 27-07-2009, 22:39   #23
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Apparently according to the engineer I spoke to this it's a server problem, but sadly he can not say when it will be fixed.... I wonder why?

As already mentioned about VM signing their Email customers over to GMail sometime next year I guess their attitude would be "Why the heck should we"!

See The Register for further details.

I certainly won't be using any web based emails guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a Email provider... and we all know whats behind it!

The question is now, do I keep on at them bringing CISA the Internet watchdog into the equation, grin and bear it or wave goodbye lock stock and barrel?

Davy
The Google platform also allows secure pop and smtp as well for VM, you won't be restricted to a web based service.