Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 23:52   #7621
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It really does depend on the size of your TV. HD is acceptable on my set, but UHD is superb.

I no longer watch anything in Standard Definition (except the BBC regional news, for which we have no choice) as the picture on SD channels is far from good.
My tv is HDR but 2k i believe but even 2k looks stuuning on a 43inch set.
Old 13-04-2020, 09:31   #7622
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I can't believe the BBC still hasn't sorted this for the English regithanks for posting this wonder what peopons. Wales, Scotland and NI all got complete HD variants years ago.
thanks for posting this wondered what people were moaning about !
Old 13-04-2020, 14:32   #7623
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
It really does depend on the size of your TV. HD is acceptable on my set, but UHD is superb.

I no longer watch anything in Standard Definition (except the BBC regional news, for which we have no choice) as the picture on SD channels is far from good.
I have to agree with that, sport in particular is far better in HD than SD.

Having said that, I have friends (who obviously need to visit Specsavers) who watch SD as they can't see any difference!
Old 13-04-2020, 15:33   #7624
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I have to agree with that, sport in particular is far better in HD than SD.

Having said that, I have friends (who obviously need to visit Specsavers) who watch SD as they can't see any difference!
It is not so noticeable on smaller screens. I think also some people do not have the picture settings properly set up.
Old 13-04-2020, 17:00   #7625
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
It is not so noticeable on smaller screens. I think also some people do not have the picture settings properly set up.
I still wonder how many think having an HD capable screen is them watching it in HD. Some won't realise they need to tune to an HD channel too. HD swaps and increasingly capable First Time Set-up routines will have decreased this but some just aren't bother, or familiar, with what's available/possible on the equipment they own. And HD scaling technology has improved too, so some SD channels look surprisingly good.

Relatives of mine have an LCD TV from the era where digital tuners weren't standard and it's 26". They aren't bothered that much by size (neither am I for that matter) but only with this lockdown have they really looked outside their usual limited channel choice. They've had an HD Freesat box since before switchover (I advised it, they probably would've had an SD Freeview box otherwise) and barely watched anything outside BBC and STV. Now they are looking further down the channel guide and using the streaming box I fortunately gave them a year or so ago, so they've had plenty more to distract them in these difficult times. I'm getting off topic here...I still don't think they are fussed with HD but the apps, now they are now finally exploring, are much more important. They haven't got duff eyesight, as they've commented on the picture quality on our TV when they've visited (in the past), they just haven't been bothered about seeking it out at home.

Our newest TV was excellent with default settings out of the box. I'd imagine it doesn't occur to many that they may need to.
Old 14-04-2020, 10:37   #7626
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Actually, i think that maybe some people have unknowingly not set up their cable box and tv.

They have left it as delivered and thus an interlaced picture is automatically chosen from the box and i have found this to be better for SD TV.
Old 14-04-2020, 11:34   #7627
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

You can now subscribe to Disney+ through SKY direct https://www.sky.com/shop/tv/disney-plus
Old 15-04-2020, 13:35   #7628
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Comcast launches an early preview of the premium tier of the NBCUniversal streaming service Peacock.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...eid=3598503789
Old 15-04-2020, 17:31   #7629
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Comcast launches an early preview of the premium tier of the NBCUniversal streaming service Peacock.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...eid=3598503789
From your link
Quote:
In an experience that will surprise and delight US audiences, advertising will be restricted to five minutes or less per hour. A host of new ad innovations are also promised.
For the USA commercial channels, that's amazing - it's normally around 15-20 minutes per hour.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 16-04-2020, 14:39   #7630
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Netflix is now worth more than Disney. https://news.newonnetflix.info/news/..._DdwlVDItmt3_g
Old 16-04-2020, 15:20   #7631
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

UK is not far behind now. On UK tv you oftenhave three four-minute breaks in programme billed as 60 minutes - so 12 minutes - and there are also 3-4 minutes at the end of the programme too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From your link For the USA commercial channels, that's amazing - it's normally around 15-20 minutes per hour.

Last edited by ozsat; 16-04-2020 at 15:24.
Old 17-04-2020, 17:39   #7632
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From your link For the USA commercial channels, that's amazing - it's normally around 15-20 minutes per hour.
It's a brilliant idea and I hope it catches on.

I really like their tiers:

1. Limited content for free and with ads
2. Full content with ads for $5. For Comcast customers (and hopefully Sky customers too) its free.
3. Full content without ads for $10.

And I hope we get them here.

Last edited by Horizon; 17-04-2020 at 17:44.
Old 18-04-2020, 12:02   #7633
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
It's a brilliant idea and I hope it catches on.

I really like their tiers:

1. Limited content for free and with ads
2. Full content with ads for $5. For Comcast customers (and hopefully Sky customers too) its free.
3. Full content without ads for $10.

And I hope we get them here.
I have no doubt that we will. Hopefully, though, the service will not be exclusive to Sky.
Old 18-04-2020, 17:11   #7634
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have no doubt that we will. Hopefully, though, the service will not be exclusive to Sky.
Consider me one of the ones who has some doubt!

I know it was originally announced that it would come to Sky's platforms but the fact they have gone quiet about it is rather telling - and having seen what it is, I can understand why...

It looks very slick and I think it may quietly pay off for NBCU but it really does appear to very much be a solution for the US market at present, addressing doubts in both pay tv and broadcast in the States as well as the ad sales market.

(Not forgetting Peacock is built from the foundations of NowTV and will likely pull in elements from Adsmart via OnePlatform).

Yet apart from the free tier and the ad technology, I'm not exactly sure what it does that Sky and Now TV (and it's variants) don't already do or could not do? Sky does VOD, ad tech, ad sales and already hosts/makes Peacock-bound content. And not exactly sure what solution it solves for the UK market where we have a healthy market both for PSB and VOD platforms?

If we don't see it, I expect we'll see the originals and the tech plugged into Sky/NowTV in someway - and if it does come? I still don't see the point of it and would be surprised if it replicates the US service. I'm sure we'll see in due course... I just think Sky/Comcast have growing D2C strategies in place already across Europe and Peacock adds little to what they have already.

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 18-04-2020 at 17:48.
Old 23-04-2020, 13:05   #7635
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Got a nice surprise from NOW TV recently.

My £1.80 per month deal entered it's final month so was contemplating cancelling to see if they would offer anything else.

They didn't even give me a chance to do this, I received an e-mail saying thanks for being a loyal customer, your £1.80 per month deal will continue for another 6 months.

Great result
Closed Thread