Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 23:20   #6721
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
I’ve just signed to a 30-day trial for BritBox. Does anyone know if it’s still in beta testing? If yes, please can I have a rough date for an official launch.
Yes it's still in beta , I believe end of November to early December for official launch.
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20   #6722
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It is. Notice that this super aggregator also has a deal with Apple in place, which is what Virgin should be doing.
Old 06-11-2019, 14:13   #6723
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is. Notice that this super aggregator also has a deal with Apple in place, which is what Virgin should be doing.
The deal with Canal+ is a hardware deal, not a content deal.
Old 06-11-2019, 18:01   #6724
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The deal with Canal+ is a hardware deal, not a content deal.
Ok, thank you. I had mistakenly assumed that Apple + would be available through the Apple TV equipment provided to Canal + customers.
Old 06-11-2019, 18:29   #6725
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It’s an interesting twist on how this could go for an ISP, or a cable operator, seeking to reduce their costs to step away from third party content almost completely and bundle an Apple TV (Or similar product) and their own app with an internet service. Then leave users to decide what they want to take “over the top” by themselves.

Virgin, and Horizon STBs, do have the capability to do this as opposed to delivery over DVB-C. The TV side would then benefit from capacity upgrades of DOCSIS 4.0 with a modem upgrade.
Old 06-11-2019, 20:27   #6726
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
It’s an interesting twist on how this could go for an ISP, or a cable operator, seeking to reduce their costs to step away from third party content almost completely and bundle an Apple TV (Or similar product) and their own app with an internet service. Then leave users to decide what they want to take “over the top” by themselves.

Virgin, and Horizon STBs, do have the capability to do this as opposed to delivery over DVB-C. The TV side would then benefit from capacity upgrades of DOCSIS 4.0 with a modem upgrade.
Something else interesting too didn't BT reveal they will be working with apple on BTs new tv interface and devices in the near future?

Edit article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...v-partnership/
Old 06-11-2019, 20:58   #6727
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Something else interesting too didn't BT reveal they will be working with apple on BTs new tv interface and devices in the near future?

Edit article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...v-partnership/
NON-paywall report.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ith-apple.html

or this

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-repo...pay-tv-teamup/

Or this

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...ership-3601428

Why do people insist on posting paywalled links when there's so many non paywalled out there.
Old 06-11-2019, 21:06   #6728
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If you Google for a news story (e.g. Virgin Vodafone) and it offers an FT link that shows the full article. If you copy and paste the address bar it goes to the paywall.

No idea why but it makes it easy to forget the paywall is there.
Old 06-11-2019, 21:26   #6729
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If you Google for a news story (e.g. Virgin Vodafone) and it offers an FT link that shows the full article. If you copy and paste the address bar it goes to the paywall.

No idea why but it makes it easy to forget the paywall is there.
Strange, as soon as I see an FT or Telegraph link on here I know its paywalled.
Perhaps my short and long term memory is better than yours.

Don't worry, I'll keep reminding you and others until it sinks in.
Old 06-11-2019, 21:30   #6730
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

I can't legislate for your inability to follow instructions.
Old 06-11-2019, 21:31   #6731
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

You don't need to remind me.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35   #6732
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Channel 4 to join new UK streaming platform BritBox.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...atform-britbox

Quote:
BritBox, which is due to unveil its launch plans on Thursday, is being pitched as an additional streaming service for viewers who want to view classic British television programmes and films, rather than as a direct competitor to Netflix. It will be priced at £5.99 a month, cheaper than rivals, with its backers hoping to capitalise on the interest in family viewing in the run-up to Christmas.
Quote:
Channel 4’s shows will join the service early next year.
Quote:
BritBox member channels will continue to run their own catch-up services.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03   #6733
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

It is good news that Britbox will be showing content from all the main terrestrial channels. However, a notable omission from this article was any reference to original programming. I wonder if that is significant, and whether perhaps a decision has been made not to go there yet.

From what I can see, I would have viewed all the content on there already that would be of any interest to me, so I won't be subscribing for now. However, I can see how attractive this service would be to some.

Maybe this service will enable people to cut back on the amount they record from the main channels, particularly if you could guarantee that they would, in fact, appear on Britbox.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:14   #6734
daveoc14
cf.member

daveoc14 is an unknown quantity at this point

The front page of BBC News is reporting that BritBox has gone live today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50320731
Old 07-11-2019, 09:17   #6735
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoc14 View Post
The front page of BBC News is reporting that BritBox has gone live today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50320731
And one can try 30 days for free.

https://www.britbox.co.uk/