Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-02-2008, 23:54   #331
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Think I need some guidance here, as I don't see 'click-through fraud' as being relevant here.

I still only see the potential for a VM customers unique serial number of being labelled as interested in almost everything if the afore mentioned 'random page generator' were utilised - thus making that customer marketable to every advertiser on Phorm's books. All events on targeted adverts being clicked on (fraudulently or otherwise) surely happen after a customer's serial has been already marketted based on the mined data.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2008, 00:09   #332
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
just read this - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugi...ewtopic.php?19

Response from Virginmedia
[i]I am sorry that the information that we are going to start using phorm
has worried you, here is some information to help give you a better
understading in regards to what this is.

A safer experience

<snip>

A more relevant browsing experience

<snip>

Protecting customers' privacy

<snip>
what a load of old toot, all under the guise of A safer experience ... pleeeeassseeeeee someone pass me the sick bucket!!!!!!!

How unbelievably patronizing! This response reads like something written for the benefit of a five-year-old!

-We KNOW what the real agenda is here (selling commercially-valuable private data on your customers)...

-We don't WANT it dressed-up as a benevolent act of kindness ("A safer experience") - I for one want to take responsibilty for my OWN security on the web thank you very much - I understand what Phishing is, and I can decide whether a website is dodgy or not for myself.

-How dare YOU decide what is a more "relevant" web experience for ME: I never read adverts and I'm certainly not going to start now. For future reference: ALL advertising is irrelevant to this user. Got it? If I had my way, every website would be ad-free like bbc.co.uk

-We DON'T trust your assertions about our privacy in this system. We have no way to verify them, and NEITHER DO YOU once you've passed our private data to somebody else.

-You are deliberately MISLEADING customers when you state "Customers won't be forced to take up Webwise, so they'll be able to keep their internet experience as it is now." Most people reading this sentence will take it to mean that if they opt-out then you will not pass any browsing data about them on to Phorm. However, "Webwise" is only the system that alerts users to phishing sites and pushes targeted adverts at the user - the browsing surveillance part of the system is called "Open Internet Exchange" (OIX), and you are not saying that customers won't be forced to take up OIX, are you?

A safer experience my Arrse.

And that bit at the bottom is depressing - "working to offer the solution and pleased to be offering it soon" - makes it sound imminent and certain....

-
Old 01-03-2008, 00:10   #333
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
Think I need some guidance here, as I don't see 'click-through fraud' as being relevant here.

I still only see the potential for a VM customers unique serial number of being labelled as interested in almost everything if the afore mentioned 'random page generator' were utilised - thus making that customer marketable to every advertiser on Phorm's books.
It same as Click-through fraud by:-
1) Making there data pointless.
When business see this is happen the value of information drops.
2) Gaining information who do business is.
Business do not like embargoes due there advertising activities.
3) Add's will be pointless as add's are not being viewed.

Then invoice Virgin Media to bypass this dumb SPYCOMS activity. I do not believe there is anyway this activity would be legal Unfair and terms law.
Old 01-03-2008, 00:29   #334
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, I see those as two seperate issues. I don't see any necessity for data to be 'graded' upon collection for its accuracy to whether it is genuinely an interest of the customer or if it is the result of the random page generator. I suspect Phorm aren't going to care either, as they are scoring a hit between an interest and a vendor, that just equals a rental of the virtual billboard. If no sales happen then vendors may cease advertising but I doubt they willl; after all adverts still appear in newspapers and magazines with no real way of gauging their 'usefulness'. What I'm getting at here is do we know that Phorm are following the same model as Google and get paid for advert clicks/sales; I think it is more likely that with their closed targetting system they can just rent out virtual ad space on a billboard basis - thus taking no real immediate risk on the sucess/failure of the adverts. In that light, I believe click-through fraud is of no consequence whatsoever, and also means Phorm just have to supply data and not qualify it.

In any rate, I do hope that the operation does get reversed so we don't have to worry ourselves over the ins and outs
Old 01-03-2008, 00:36   #335
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
A safer experience my Arrse.

And that bit at the bottom is depressing - "working to offer the solution and pleased to be offering it soon" - makes it sound imminent and certain....

-
That pretty much sums things up - and I'm definitely worried about the "offering it soon" line. Unfortunately I'm among those who don't have much choice but Virgin - for our use we can't get an acceptable speed on ADSL
Old 01-03-2008, 01:53   #336
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Please do not copy and paste large sections of content from other sites. That is a breach of copyright. By all means quote a small highlighted section to aid your discussion, but do ensure there are clear links to the original.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:23   #337
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

The People Vs SPYCOMS

This is a list that will block internet activities with Phorn
It will be updated in time
Save the host file on windows to
Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts

This list is in a alfa state (ie pre beta)

http://rapidshare.com/files/96092346/hosts
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26   #338
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMIGA_dUDE View Post
The People Vs SPYCOMS

Before anybody does this, please review the list in that hosts file. Many popular sites are listed. Only use this file if you ABSOLUTELY want to block all Virgin, BT, SKY and TALK TALK websites.

I think its a bit extreme to be honest, although I can see why some would want to do this.

If you want a grin, look at the comments on the hosts file.......goooood English.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:14   #339
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Please do not copy and paste large sections of content from other sites. That is a breach of copyright. By all means quote a small highlighted section to aid your discussion, but do ensure there are clear links to the original.
Apologies Rob. I thought it was a letter from VM to it's customers who had complained about the Phorm tie-up - I didn't realise it was copyrighted material from another website. Thank you for the edit.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Before anybody does this, please review the list in that hosts file. Many popular sites are listed. Only use this file if you ABSOLUTELY want to block all Virgin, BT, SKY and TALK TALK websites.

I think its a bit extreme to be honest, although I can see why some would want to do this.

If you want a grin, look at the comments on the hosts file.......goooood English.
One glaring omission in that list.... webwise.com !!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36   #340
eddcase

The 2 most popular threads on the forum are about the free upgrade and this Phorm initiative. The timing of the upgrade is starting to look like a coincidental sweetener that may be working.

The best Phorm of defense is attack .

Old 01-03-2008, 13:07   #341
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcase View Post
The 2 most popular threads on the forum are about the free upgrade and this Phorm initiative. The timing of the upgrade is starting to look like a coincidental sweetener.

The best Phorm of defense is attack .
Indeed lol

Whats the point of having a speed upgrade if you have to slow it down with TOR in order to preserve what should already be a given ... your privacy

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

If you want to speak to someone about Phorm and how it will supposedly work you can try ringing VM’s retentions department on - tel: 0800 052 0870

This so far has been the only department that seems to be able to verbally relay any information regarding Phorm. One can only assume that there have been numerous cancellation enquires due to Phorm, and as such the retentions guys have been ‘readily briefed’ as to what to say.

So, did it alleviate my concerns and fears?

Hell no, not even close! Phorm (webwise) was completely and utterly played down as being nothing more than harmless marketing info. TBH I was almost lost for words with their woolly explanation of how it worked. As if somehow I was the overreacting fool for being so concerned with it!!!

So,

Has anyone else rung retentions to querry Phorm (webwise)?

If so, what were you told?

Did it put your mind at rest?
Old 01-03-2008, 14:23   #342
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

O posted this in another area not realising this thread.

So how is VM going to monitor PHORM make sure they dont abuse us. I found it will monitor and pound us with junk advertising based on every single thing we do with our connection even reading emails. Surely this deal against our civil libities.

ps dont think you will get away with by saying vm can stuff it BT & Talk Talk done it too.

Link explaining Phorm and its evil empire

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?3

Oh by the way peeps OPT OUT does NOT safguard you they WILL STILL SEND your activities to PHORM.

AS ALL 3 main internet providers doing it you are screwed in the uk.

I think this is a hidden agenda and its not about advertising or keeping you safe from so called phisching its about finding out if you do things illegal.

In some ways I am for it if stops those 5% from raping the bandwidth but everyone could find the nasty men knocking on the door.

How mainy done some simple browsing and sites got hacked and sent you to nasty websites.

There is real danger this can easily be abused for the wrong reason who is to say our protected internet banking activities will be secure anymore.

VM and the rest are stupid.
Old 01-03-2008, 14:40   #343
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMIGA_dUDE View Post
The People Vs SPYCOMS

However, that list will not stop the monitoring you. Also, blocking zavvi is a little pointless. They have nothing to do with virgin.

Also, it will block access to websites linked to the three isps and phorm. It will not stop them monitoring you.
Old 01-03-2008, 14:48   #344
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
O posted this in another area not realising this thread.

So how is VM going to monitor PHORM make sure they dont abuse us. I found it will monitor and pound us with junk advertising based on every single thing we do with our connection even reading emails. Surely this deal against our civil libities.

ps dont think you will get away with by saying vm can stuff it BT & Talk Talk done it too.

Link explaining Phorm and its evil empire

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?3

Oh by the way peeps OPT OUT does NOT safguard you they WILL STILL SEND your activities to PHORM.

AS ALL 3 main internet providers doing it you are screwed in the uk.

I think this is a hidden agenda and its not about advertising or keeping you safe from so called phisching its about finding out if you do things illegal.

In some ways I am for it if stops those 5% from raping the bandwidth but everyone could find the nasty men knocking on the door.

How mainy done some simple browsing and sites got hacked and sent you to nasty websites.

There is real danger this can easily be abused for the wrong reason who is to say our protected internet banking activities will be secure anymore.

VM and the rest are stupid.
I have made it totally clear to them that should this be a OPT OUT not a OPT IN then i will remove ALL my services from them.

I will then go to

BT for Phone.
Sky for TV
BE Unlimited for my BroadBand

A large loss to Virgin Media if we all do that.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 01-03-2008, 14:54   #345
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Guys, el reg has done several articles on this now (including one leaked presentation on how it works)

They have a handy list at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/
Closed Thread