Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2 Dead, 3 injured in London Bridge Terrorist incident

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

2 Dead, 3 injured in London Bridge Terrorist incident

Old 01-12-2019, 22:43   #31
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: London Bridge armed incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Did you honestly, in all seriousness expect him to be linked to any other religion?
Doesn't matter what I think, it's a totally pointless and baseless comment at the time.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Quote:
But...we were not wrong. And given the early details of these events (and especially this one) if I was a betting man I probably wouldn’t be out of pocket if we’d gone on gut instinct.
If you were a betting man why would you even bet on such a thing? Just wait till the details are released, then talk about it. Not sure why we have to play a guessing game nor am I sure of what it actually achieves.
Mythica is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2019, 04:44   #32
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Doesn't matter what I think, it's a totally pointless and baseless comment at the time.
Well...yes it does when you specifically are telling/suggesting people that they shouldn’t yet give an opinion on what has happened.

Quote:
If you were a betting man why would you even bet on such a thing? Just wait till the details are released, then talk about it. Not sure why we have to play a guessing game nor am I sure of what it actually achieves.
Well as we’re speaking hypothetically is there really an answer to that?

You don’t get to decide when we talk about which subject. I guess we won’t talk about who we think has won the Election until the result comes out then? Football fans shouldn’t discuss who they think will win the match until the final whistle? These events have become so prevalent that we can pretty much get it right each time. If we’re wrong then by all means admit it however given the circumstances each time that doesn’t seem to happen much.

Just accept that when people speculate about these events, they’re usually (always?) right.

Vote #AnyoneButTory

Last edited by Russ; 02-12-2019 at 04:48.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:22   #33
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: 2 Dead, 3 injured in London Bridge Terrorist incident

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9228886.html
Quote:
London Bridge victim's father condemns 'beyond disgusting' Boris Johnson for using son's death for political gain
'Don’t use my son’s death to promote your vile propaganda. Jack stood against everything you stand for'
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:00   #34
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

It is very sad what happened to his son and I think Jacks dad has the nation’s sympathies. However, the issue of prisoners rehabilitation is clear a massive issue. The system is a failure and clearly doesn’t work as well as it should, as this Terrorist Murderer on Fri was released early on license. I believe this terrorist scumbag, tried to deceive Authorities by requesting in 2012, in a letter that he wanted to join a de-radicalised course.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:12   #35
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well...yes it does when you specifically are telling/suggesting people that they shouldn’t yet give an opinion on what has happened.

You don’t get to decide when we talk about which subject. I guess we won’t talk about who we think has won the Election until the result comes out then? Football fans shouldn’t discuss who they think will win the match until the final whistle? These events have become so prevalent that we can pretty much get it right each time. If we’re wrong then by all means admit it however given the circumstances each time that doesn’t seem to happen much.

Just accept that when people speculate about these events, they’re usually (always?) right.

I think the point is that people should keep an open mind until at least a decent degree of evidence is available for discussion. rather than making assumptions.

The usage of such statements as 'I think we can be pretty sure which religion the malefactor adheres to. ' if/when used in wider society leads to intolerance

The misuse and *******ization of the religion is the issue, not the religion itself.

People should never accept, they should always query and question. it's one of the greatest abilities the human race has.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It is very sad what happened to his son and I think Jacks dad has the nation’s sympathies. However, the issue of prisoners rehabilitation is clear a massive issue. The system is a failure and clearly doesn’t work as well as it should, as this Terrorist Murderer on Fri was released early on license. I believe this terrorist scumbag, tried to deceive Authorities by requesting in 2012, in a letter that he wanted to join a de-radicalised course.

Quite, the justice system in it's current state is not fit for purpose. it neither punishes, nor rehabilitates.

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 02-12-2019 at 11:32.
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:44   #36
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:

You can have any opinion you want, I just think it's silly to come out with what was said when the full facts weren't released. It's not long it takes weeks anyway, we knew the next morning who it was.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45   #37
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Quite, the justice system in it's current state is not fit for purpose. it neither punishes, nor rehabilitates.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:55   #38
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
You can have any opinion you want, I just think it's silly to come out with what was said when the full facts weren't released. It's not long it takes weeks anyway, we knew the next morning who it was.
...but as usual, we were right.

If in these horrific attacks there was a roughly equal mix of causes and motivations you’d probably have a point, but as you well know that is not the case.

It’s like when you see the headline “grooming gang in court”, you wouldn’t expect those in the dock to be named “Jones”, “Williams”, “Smith” etc (not saying it doesn’t happen but the law of averages would strongly suggest the contrary).

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-12-2019, 13:00   #39
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:

If in these horrific attacks there was a roughly equal mix of causes and motivations you’d probably have a point, but as you well know that is not the case.

It’s like when you see the headline “grooming gang in court”, you wouldn’t expect those in the dock to be named “Jones”, “Williams”, “Smith” etc (not saying it doesn’t happen but the law of averages would strongly suggest the contrary).
Being right or wrong isn't really the point though.

But I wouldn't come on a forum and say, ohhh they must be a Muslim grooming gang, I'd simply wait for the evidence or facts. Simply trying to guess even if you are 90% sure seems a bit silly.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:01   #40
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:

There's an element of truth in that, BUT in the same breath you would look very stupid if you claimed or insinuated that those in the dock had Muslim or eastern European surnames for example only for it to be revealed that they were in fact called 'Jones', 'Williams' or 'Smith' without some degree of prior knowledge.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:05   #41
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

The above 2 posts mention Muslims, I however did not. Some presuming going on there? Perhaps wait for the facts....

I never refer to them as “Muslim”, only Asian.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-12-2019, 13:11   #42
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
The above 2 posts mention Muslims, I however did not. Some presuming going on there? Perhaps wait for the facts....

I at no point said you were, and i clearly said as an example.

Aah Asian, an even further generalization, well, that's OK then
Old 02-12-2019, 13:14   #43
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I at no point said you were, and i clearly said as an example.

Aah Asian, an even further generalization, well, that's OK then
Yep, nothing wrong with it. If certain crimes are being carried out in the vast majority of cases by a certain demographic there is nothing wrong in pointing that out. It doesn’t apply to everyone in that demographic (and before I get the usual accusations of “racism”, my son is half Indian) of course but acknowledging that majority, again nothing wrong with it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-12-2019, 13:22   #44
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:

No, I just knew what you were talking about. If you're going to start playing games, I'm out.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:27   #45
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

We had 3 cats, a white one, a black one and a ginger one.

All 3 cats were treated equally, and were quite happy to live together as long as the were fed, watered, and given some love and attention.

Sadly the ginger one was hit and killed by a car.

We didn't suspect the driver of being in any way racist towards the ginger one.

Stupid as it seems, some people in the world may well have found an argument to do so . .
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote