Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Countdown Begins to Virginercation - comingvsoon.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20Mbps News?

Old 12-01-2007, 00:57   #1
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
20Mbps News?

Its now the new year, and time for a new thread regarding 20Mbps

So does anyone have some fresh news when we can start expecting 20Mbps? They are being really silent about this one ...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2007, 02:02   #2
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 20Mbps News?

considering areas cant do 10mb, why should ntl do 20mb? to give more things for people to complain at?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:45   #3
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all

My 4Mb service still won't go above 0.5Mb because the network is saturated. Until they get this problem fixed there's really no point in them even thinking about higher speeds.

For folks like me (paying the full whack, by the way, because they still won't give me a discount based on rubbish service) you may as well talk about 20000Mbps instead of 20Mbps.
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:21   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Seeing as most DSL areas can't do 8mbps, is the possibility of ntl:Telewest introducing a service that can only be had in some areas really that incomprehensible?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:56   #5
Sherlock
Inactive

Sherlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfitUK View Post
For folks like me (paying the full whack, by the way, because they still won't give me a discount based on rubbish service) you may as well talk about 20000Mbps instead of 20Mbps.
Gutted. If ya only getting 0.5mbps and the network is saturated in your area, surely you should get some sort of compo? If not why not?
Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:12   #6
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Its now the new year, and time for a new thread regarding 20Mbps

So does anyone have some fresh news when we can start expecting 20Mbps? They are being really silent about this one ...
So the fact that i have been saying don't listen to rumours,
Don't expect them to do 20 meg just because they tested it everyone still expects 20 meg.

I would expect 20 meg when NTL say we are going to give us 20 meg.
I expect NTL to give use 20 meg when the network can handle 20 meg.
I don't expect NTL to give us 20 meg because the jungle drum rumour system says we are getting 20 meg.

Here's a new rumour lets see how fast this becomes the expected. reality "NTL to offer 100 meg each way connection's and a free router and free DVD blanks" The bloke down the pub told me that one, Cost me a couple of beers too he said he had overheard the cleaner talking about it at hook

If NTL decide to give us 20 meg i am sure they will tell us

Old 12-01-2007, 12:25   #7
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
NTL to offer 100 meg each way connection's and a free router and free DVD blanks
Woah, I will spread the news Bill... (Joke) lol
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:56   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Don't expect them to do 20 meg just because they tested it everyone still expects 20 meg.

I don't expect NTL to give us 20 meg because the jungle drum rumour system says we are getting 20 meg.
People forget that NTL test a lot. Doesn't mean they will release it. I'm thinking of WiFi in London, 100 Meg in Dolphin Square and the "Turbo button" thing some members tested a while back. None have (AFAIK) gone on to launch.

I suspect that NTL will at some point launch 20 meg. I also expect them to launch 50 and 100 meg. But, they will only launch these speeds if and when they feel the market demands it. No point in launching those speeds (with all the associated network upgrade costs) if your competitors in most areas can only manage 8 meg.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:06   #9
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

That's true enough for the speeds, but what about the prices? £35 isn't very competitive for that speed where it's available any more.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:19   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

The thread isn't about prices.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:29   #11
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

I'm wondering what goodies they will provide when they finally launch the new company name.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 15:47   #12
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

C'mon Zee. You know it's "coming soon"
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 16:15   #13
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:

Here's a new rumour lets see how fast this becomes the expected. reality "NTL to offer 100 meg each way connection's and a free router and free DVD blanks" The bloke down the pub told me that one, Cost me a couple of beers too he said he had overheard the cleaner talking about it at hook

If NTL decide to give us 20 meg i am sure they will tell us

Ah yes, but didnt they give everyone 10mbit without telling us?

Tehehe...it's funny though, some ntl employee's have been told it's coming later this month, just a roll out without telling anyone...same with some managers, yet some people higher up have absolutely no idea NTL are even thinking of 20mbit, goes to show how ntl work as a company doesnt it
Old 12-01-2007, 16:31   #14
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Why would they give you 20Mb when 50Mb trials are in progress?
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 16:44   #15
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

because 50meg trial could be a long way off from a 50meg roll out due to technical issues - ie. new modems. whereas 20meg is simply a case of a new config file which when installed will instantly cause the network to meltdown!
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote