Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 13-09-2020, 21:09   #9946
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The return on investment comes from football subscriptions, jfman, just as that is how Sky make their profit from it (+ advertising, of course).

I don't know why you are so fixated by the fact that Amazon only picked the bargain basement matches. It was their first toe in the water, and a relatively inexpensive way of judging the success of sports streaming in the UK and their ability to attract subscribers.

They were reported to be pleased with their little experiment, so it remains to be seen what will become of it. As you correctly pointed out, they have very deep pockets, so anything is possible.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

I don't quite get your reasoning. Why can Sky and BT do this but not Amazon?
I’m not saying they can’t but I also don’t find it realistic they would make a bid for the majority and somehow absorb that cost into Prime... I’m just speculating based on their current strategy of having enough to make a Prime sub worthwhile (or retain those subs). I fully expect Amazon to be in the mix but I think they’ll be after a package or two across a season that would help retain year long Prime subs.

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 13-09-2020 at 21:18.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2020, 21:26   #9947
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
I’m not saying they can’t but I also don’t find it realistic they would make a bid for the majority and somehow absorb that cost into Prime... I’m just speculating based on their current strategy of having enough to make a Prime sub worthwhile (or retain those subs). I fully expect Amazon to be in the mix but I think they’ll be after a package or two across a season that would help retain year long Prime subs.
They would have to pay a lot more for one of the 5 season long packages - they were virtually given the package they currently have as the EPL created it specifically for a streamer.

I agree, a season long package would help retain year long Prime subs - however the cost would outweigh the benefit, unless they charged extra for the football (this of course would defeat the object)
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 01:09   #9948
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
Ah, that’s where you are coming from!

No, they would not absorb it, that would definitely not make commercial sense. They would put a separate charge on for the football, of course they would! But it might still be cheaper than Sky, who are focussed on drawing everyone to their channels.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
They would have to pay a lot more for one of the 5 season long packages - they were virtually given the package they currently have as the EPL created it specifically for a streamer.

I agree, a season long package would help retain year long Prime subs - however the cost would outweigh the benefit, unless they charged extra for the football (this of course would defeat the object)
Why on Earth would they NOT charge extra for the footie?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 01:45   #9949
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ah, that’s where you are coming from!

No, they would not absorb it, that would definitely not make commercial sense. They would put a separate charge on for the football, of course they would! But it might still be cheaper than Sky, who are focussed on drawing everyone to their channels.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Why on Earth would they NOT charge extra for the footie?
8 quid a month for amazon prime just for premier league football would get a ton more people subscribing in the UK. i dont think they'd make a profit even slightly or even break even but its one hell of a selling point for a company with billions to soak up debts in
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 06:50   #9950
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

So it might be cheaper than Sky, which means obviously that it might not. How is this glorious future good for consumers if it drives up prices?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:41   #9951
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So it might be cheaper than Sky, which means obviously that it might not. How is this glorious future good for consumers if it drives up prices?
Butbutbut did not somebody say it would all bring us a cheaper future that was lighter on peoples pockets.
Old 14-09-2020, 09:37   #9952
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Your post doesn't make sense. I have not suggested football on Amazon would be more expensive.
Old 14-09-2020, 09:53   #9953
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Your post doesn't make sense. I have not suggested football on Amazon would be more expensive.
They may be meaning that some fans will be inclined to buy services from every provider that broadcasts their team's matches. The more providers the more money it will cost, as they will all be showing different matches. It's not like they are all offering the same content.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:23   #9954
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
You’ve not provided any comfort or reassurance in that you’ve only gone as far as it “might” be cheaper. There’s more than one way to skin a cat, yes, but no cat was worth skinning in 2019 either.

The reality is there’s no obvious business model where it becomes cheaper. Otherwise someone would have done it by now. That’s how capitalism rolls.
Old 14-09-2020, 10:49   #9955
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
They may be meaning that some fans will be inclined to buy services from every provider that broadcasts their team's matches. The more providers the more money it will cost, as they will all be showing different matches. It's not like they are all offering the same content.
Aren't football fans already paying more than one provider? It is the nature of the current bidding process rules that there will always be more than one provider.
Old 14-09-2020, 10:53   #9956
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
You’ve not provided any comfort or reassurance in that you’ve only gone as far as it “might” be cheaper. There’s more than one way to skin a cat, yes, but no cat was worth skinning in 2019 either.

The reality is there’s no obvious business model where it becomes cheaper. Otherwise someone would have done it by now. That’s how capitalism rolls.
There is a way competition could lower prices - all interested parties to pay for rights to cover all games that are being broadcast, the customer then gets to choose who to get coverage from dependant on price, quality etc.

Of course this will never happen as the likes of Sky and BT would want to pay a lot less as they weren't getting exclusivity.
Old 14-09-2020, 10:53   #9957
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Amazon may well have ideas which will mean that football is cheaper for the consumer.

However, whether or not that is the case (and I believe that it is), that is no argument to suggest that Amazon will not try to take out Sky or BT next time.
Old 14-09-2020, 10:54   #9958
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Amazon may well have ideas which will mean that football is cheaper for the consumer.

However, whether or not that is the case (and I believe that it is), that is no argument to suggest that Amazon will not try to take out Sky or BT next time.
Nor is it an argument that says they will - you keep trotting out the mantra that Amazon will compete with Sky/BT, it hasn't happened yet!
Old 14-09-2020, 11:12   #9959
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
There is a way competition could lower prices - all interested parties to pay for rights to cover all games that are being broadcast, the customer then gets to choose who to get coverage from dependant on price, quality etc.

Of course this will never happen as the likes of Sky and BT would want to pay a lot less as they weren't getting exclusivity.
I agree the cartel at the league want nothing to do with that idea as the value of the rights is the premium that companies will pay to be the exclusive broadcaster.

I do think that'd be a good approach though, even by bundling games - e.g. a club season ticket - differently does result to a genuine choice for end users and would remove this 'exclusivity premium'.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:

Or any evidence that they can, or will!

You think £5bn is a good investment for football rights - and it may well be. However if Amazon could say, buy BT who are being looked at for a £15bn takeover, why would that not present better value for money and give a better longer term return on investment as we move to a full fibre future?
Old 14-09-2020, 11:19   #9960
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Aren't football fans already paying more than one provider? It is the nature of the current bidding process rules that there will always be more than one provider.
Yes, some of them. Some of them prefer to keep their money in their wallet and watch MOTD/Sportscene and listen on the radio.

The more providers the more expensive it is for those of the "must have access to everything" mindset. The other two aren't going to lower their prices to keep the overall cost the same just because a third provider comes to the market.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote