Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upscaling Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Upscaling Question

Old 31-08-2020, 14:01   #1
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Upscaling Question

When a picture is upscaled from SD to HD or from HD to UHD (or even from SD to UHD) is this handled by the V6 or the TV? If the V6 does any upscaling does the TV then do some more - provided, of course, that the TV has this ability? Same thing for HDR. I ask because I am about to upgrade my existing set to one that is UHD/HDR capable.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2020, 14:48   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Upscaling Question

Before you buy whatever you do don't cheap out on the TV make sure it supports HDR10 and HLG otherwise you will regret it.

As for your question I think there are settings on the V6 for this but this is nothing to worry about, have a look at your V6 Video Out settings and press Info, my V6 has 2160p and 2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) only selected.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 31-08-2020 at 14:56.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 14:55   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Before you buy whatever you do don't cheap out on the TV make sure it supports HDR10 and HLG otherwise you will regret it.

As for your question I think there are settings on the V6 for this but this is nothing to worry about, just get the TV specs I mentioned.
Are there any new 4K TV’s what don’t support both left ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 15:00   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Are there any new 4K TV’s what don’t support both left ?
I believe cheaper 4K TVs won't have an HDR10 panel which means it's a 10 bit panel unless that has changed in the last few years.

There is a night and day difference in buying a TV with a 10 bit panel to one that is not and this also affects HDR.

You maybe right Muppet as a £379 43in LG has an HDR10 panel but buying a more expensive set must give us a far better picture as refresh rate is also important.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 31-08-2020 at 15:09.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 15:01   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
...my V6 has 2160p and 2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) only selected.
Those settings mean the V6 does all the re-scaling, except for any app which is already outputting 4K.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 15:05   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

As for your question I think there are settings on the V6 for this but this is nothing to worry about, have a look at your V6 Video Out settings and press Info, my V6 has 2160p and 2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) only selected.

Totally agree with you there mate.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 15:07   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Those settings mean the V6 does all the re-scaling, except for any app which is already outputting 4K.
And that gives me an awesome picture on my KS9000, not sure what will happen if I change it.
Old 31-08-2020, 15:42   #8
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
And that gives me an awesome picture on my KS9000, not sure what will happen if I change it.
What model is your TV mate?
Old 31-08-2020, 15:46   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
What model is your TV mate?
A few years old Samsung 49KS9000 which doesn't support HLG but I can get that through the V6 but I don't really use the V6 anymore as I have Kodi and CinemaHD apps on a Firestick so only stream now for free.
Old 31-08-2020, 15:54   #10
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I'm looking at an LG CX which has both HLG and HDR10 Pro - whatever they are. All of the reviews I've read say that the picture quality - and the upscaling - are the dog's proverbials.

I will check out the settings on the V6 later when I am near one.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 16:12   #11
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
A few years old Samsung 49KS9000 which doesn't support HLG but I can get that through the V6 but I don't really use the V6 anymore as I have Kodi and CinemaHD apps on a Firestick so only stream now for free.

Isn't streaming just a fad?
Old 31-08-2020, 16:20   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
To some people yes but to someone like me I like to binge watch and don't care about sport and I haven't seen a commercial in years.

Binge watching all seasons of Agents of Shields ATM you can't do that on broadcast TV.
Old 31-08-2020, 17:22   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, according to certain stick-in-the-muds!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 17:51   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, according to certain stick-in-the-muds!
I'm presuming your referring to me and several others who regularly call you out on some of your predictions.

As a user of Netflix , YouTube , BT Sport and Disney + I'd hardly say I'm stuck in the mud.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 20:25   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There's an easy way to find out

Beware that some TVs are slow to change resolution, which gives a noticeable delay when changing channel if the channels are different resolutions.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote