Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Old 10-08-2021, 22:37   #31
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Asus have quite a range of routers now with 2.5 and 10gbps ports, and high end motherboards are shipping with similar port mixes.

The Hub4 is a bottleneck. Nobody wants to use Wifi for the desktop gaming PC.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2021, 22:42   #32
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Already Hub 4 dishes out almost 1.2Gb for those on the Oomph deal, but over more than one Gb port at a time. Surely, the principle of sharing 2.2Gb over a number of 1Gb ports is no different than what we have now. Admittedly this is only for larger households with data-hungry users, but surely it is a viable product.
At the time the Hub 4 was designed, 2.5Gb ports weren't an option from Arris (Commscope). They now have Gateways with a 2.5Gb port on them - although it seems to lose two 1Gb ports to make up for it

https://www.commscope.com/product-ty...modems/tg9452/

Other manufacturers will be doing the same now, so whenever the Hub 5 comes along it will likely have at least one 2.5Gb port on it.
Old 10-08-2021, 22:58   #33
ChuckVader
cf.member

ChuckVader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't know if you are right about this or not. No matter how techy someone is, unless they have a need for 2.2Gb available bandwidth surely they won't waste their cash on it. To me the most likely customers are a large family with teens etc or a student household. Having said that I wouldn't expect massive take up in the first instance.
Past 200Mbps you are well in to diminishing returns, plus the bottleneck moves to somewhere else in the network, when you get north of 500Mbps. Most people are probably wasting their money past that point, but in the case of VM you need to go there if you want a better upload speed.

As an example I have discussed some connections that have typical peak usages on 7Gbps on a 10Gbps connection and that's a university network with several thousand users. That peak load is the evening and is down to Netflix ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Asus have quite a range of routers now with 2.5 and 10gbps ports, and high end motherboards are shipping with similar port mixes.

The Hub4 is a bottleneck. Nobody wants to use Wifi for the desktop gaming PC.
The Hub 4 used in modem only mode with the right routers isn't a bottleneck as such. Here is my current speedtest on my desktop PC.

ChuckVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 16:24   #34
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post
Past 200Mbps you are well in to diminishing returns, plus the bottleneck moves to somewhere else in the network, when you get north of 500Mbps. Most people are probably wasting their money past that point, but in the case of VM you need to go there if you want a better upload speed.

As an example I have discussed some connections that have typical peak usages on 7Gbps on a 10Gbps connection and that's a university network with several thousand users. That peak load is the evening and is down to Netflix ...

The Hub 4 used in modem only mode with the right routers isn't a bottleneck as such. Here is my current speedtest on my desktop PC.

I get this or slightly higher with my AX11000. It has the necessary WAN to LAN throughput, but without combining two SHUB 4 ethernet ports, something the hub doesn't facilitate, I cannot achieve over 1Gb. How did you get 116Mbps?

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 16:41   #35
ChuckVader
cf.member

Quote:
I get this or slightly higher with my AX11000. It has the necessary WAN to LAN throughput, but without combining two SHUB 4 ethernet ports, something the hub doesn't facilitate, I cannot achieve over 1Gb. How did you get 116Mbps?

The limitation of a single gigabit port is around 930-945(ish) Mbps depending on the strength of the prevailing wind.

The Super Hub 4 (and 3) for that matter do support link round-robin aggregation on 2 or more connections. It is not widely known and seems to be misunderstood which is part of the reason I posted this.

So long as your other router can do this, which I am not sure whether yours can or can't (nice looking router, reminds me of the ship out of The Abyss.) then and assuming the device you are testing on has at least a 2.5Gb NIC then you will be able to use the full bandwidth which is up to 1.2Gbps on VM.

For reference, I am using a Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ with a 10Gb link to the rest of my network and the test PC has a 10Gb NIC too.
Old 24-08-2021, 06:41   #36
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The limitation of a single gigabit port is around 930-945(ish) Mbps depending on the strength of the prevailing wind.

The Super Hub 4 (and 3) for that matter do support link round-robin aggregation on 2 or more connections. It is not widely known and seems to be misunderstood which is part of the reason I posted this.

So long as your other router can do this, which I am not sure whether yours can or can't (nice looking router, reminds me of the ship out of The Abyss.) then and assuming the device you are testing on has at least a 2.5Gb NIC then you will be able to use the full bandwidth which is up to 1.2Gbps on VM.

For reference, I am using a Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ with a 10Gb link to the rest of my network and the test PC has a 10Gb NIC too.
The AX11000 will handle port aggregation / dual WAN and has a 2.5Gb port. I guess all I would need is a 10Gb NIC for my main PC, but I'm not about to invest in the Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ .

I'll let you know if it works out.
Old 24-08-2021, 11:02   #37
ChuckVader
cf.member

Quote:
The AX11000 will handle port aggregation / dual WAN and has a 2.5Gb port. I guess all I would need is a 10Gb NIC for my main PC, but I'm not about to invest in the Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ .

I'll let you know if it works out.
Sorry wasn't suggesting you should buy the Mikrotik just referencing it as an example.

Are you running the Merlin custom firmware on yours as not sure the stock router will do what needs to be done?

Having a quick look at the manual, the WAN port is the 2.5Gb port so not sure if you could actually use that downstream to your desktop PC.

Link Aggregation appears to only work on ports 1 and 2 and then is 802.3ad which if I remember correctly didn't work with the SH when I last tried. Only round robin worked when I last tested it setting it up. I know a few others found the same issue.

Dual WAN won't give what you need in this case.

Therefore unless the Merlin firmware offers more configuration am not convinced if it will work to give the higher speeds.

You would need to have something upstream of your modem between the SH and the modem but then you start getting potential more NATing etc. Somebody was going to try a managed switch but haven't heard back if that worked or not.

You could try configuring it anyway without upgrading the NIC. I don't know if it is my imagination but one thing to note is that the SH4 seems to take longer to establish the connection this way. E.g. reboot takes several minutes before Internet is back.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Here a couple of links (hope that is allowed) about it for more reading, didn't realise I got it working so long ago as it was Jan 2020...

https://forums.servethehome.com/inde...dia-isp.26354/

and also a nice article written up by a fellow forum member on another site.

https://tech.msh100.uk/virgin/networ...ter-than-gbit/
Old 24-08-2021, 17:16   #38
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

You don't need the server grade Mikrotik routerboard. I use a RB4011iGS+RM with all four Virgin hub LAN ports bonded together using balance-rr.

It has a choice of RJ45 GigE or 10GBe SFP+ outputs depending on your requirements. 1145Mbps out from Virgin on the 10GBe side.

Rock solid performer, has been up 24/7 all year and no issues whatsoever in the comms cupboard.

IMG_7103.jpg
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 17:36   #39
ChuckVader
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten View Post
You don't need the server grade Mikrotik routerboard. I use a RB4011iGS+RM with all four Virgin hub LAN ports bonded together using balance-rr.

It has a choice of RJ45 GigE or 10GBe SFP+ outputs depending on your requirements. 1145Mbps out from Virgin on the 10GBe side.

Rock solid performer, has been up 24/7 all year and no issues whatsoever in the comms cupboard.

Attachment 29195
Yep don't disagree with you there, I looked at the RB4011 as the option to start with, think it is even mentioned on the link I put. I did however want some of the features that were present on the one I went with in the end. Both very nice and stable as you say.

Unlike the SH4 which only just had its password masked and router stats fail after a bit and thinks it is not connected to the Internet

Last edited by ChuckVader; 24-08-2021 at 17:41.
Old 24-08-2021, 17:59   #40
NoCableForMe
cf.member

NoCableForMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Tested up to 8gig in Cambridgeshire a few years back. Was fibre though
NoCableForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 08:24   #41
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sorry wasn't suggesting you should buy the Mikrotik just referencing it as an example.

Are you running the Merlin custom firmware on yours as not sure the stock router will do what needs to be done?

Having a quick look at the manual, the WAN port is the 2.5Gb port so not sure if you could actually use that downstream to your desktop PC.

Link Aggregation appears to only work on ports 1 and 2 and then is 802.3ad which if I remember correctly didn't work with the SH when I last tried. Only round robin worked when I last tested it setting it up. I know a few others found the same issue.

Dual WAN won't give what you need in this case.

Therefore unless the Merlin firmware offers more configuration am not convinced if it will work to give the higher speeds.

You would need to have something upstream of your modem between the SH and the modem but then you start getting potential more NATing etc. Somebody was going to try a managed switch but haven't heard back if that worked or not.

You could try configuring it anyway without upgrading the NIC. I don't know if it is my imagination but one thing to note is that the SH4 seems to take longer to establish the connection this way. E.g. reboot takes several minutes before Internet is back.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Here a couple of links (hope that is allowed) about it for more reading, didn't realise I got it working so long ago as it was Jan 2020...

https://forums.servethehome.com/inde...dia-isp.26354/

and also a nice article written up by a fellow forum member on another site.

https://tech.msh100.uk/virgin/networ...ter-than-gbit/
Thanks. It doesn't look hopeful, unless I am prepared to invest a lot of time.

I wasn't taking the Mikrotik as a recommendation. Any additional kit will cost me and I don't want to spend more cash on something that only gets me just over an extra 100Mb bandwidth. (Remembering when we used to be grateful for an extra Mb)

The 2.5Gb port can be used downstream if I were to need it. I use the standard firmware atm, but would change to Merlin if I saw an advantage.
Old 26-08-2021, 10:37   #42
ChuckVader
cf.member

Quote:
Thanks. It doesn't look hopeful, unless I am prepared to invest a lot of time.

I wasn't taking the Mikrotik as a recommendation. Any additional kit will cost me and I don't want to spend more cash on something that only gets me just over an extra 100Mb bandwidth. (Remembering when we used to be grateful for an extra Mb)

The 2.5Gb port can be used downstream if I were to need it. I use the standard firmware atm, but would change to Merlin if I saw an advantage.
Luxury, I remember when we used to live in ole in road, get up 30 minutes before we went to bed ...

I had VM's first digital service at 512Kb but that was such a jump compared to dial up.

The thing that annoyed me is that the Gig One syncs at nearly 1.2Gbps and with the speed tests I get now are 22% quicker than just one gigabit connection to the SH.

Why they couldn't just put a 2.5Gb port on the SH4, the cost difference would not have been that much and it would have future proofed them for when the 2.2Gbps service rolls out.

Having said that I do think we are getting to the point of silly speeds for home usage, and for the majority of the time 200Mbps would be sufficient for a regular size family.
Old 26-08-2021, 10:42   #43
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Why they couldn't just put a 2.5Gb port on the SH4, the cost difference would not have been that much and it would have future proofed them for when the 2.2Gbps service rolls out.
For whatever reason Liberty Global will only buy modems from Arris these days (and seemingly only horrible puma chipset ones) and at the time of the SH4 there was no modem with a 2.5G port.

Personally I think they should ideally have SFP+, but even better would be for VM to allow people to use their own modems like US cable ISPs do.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 11:09   #44
ChuckVader
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
For whatever reason Liberty Global will only buy modems from Arris these days (and seemingly only horrible puma chipset ones) and at the time of the SH4 there was no modem with a 2.5G port.

Personally I think they should ideally have SFP+, but even better would be for VM to allow people to use their own modems like US cable ISPs do.
I remember looking at the time and there were 2.5Gbps Arris ones available from Germany. However, given the lead time on rebranding them and ordering process etc plus additional cost then LG probably wouldn't have bothered.

I am still half tempted to try and import one, but confirming that cloning the MAC would work as well as T&Cs is still prohibitive.

Same they don't do a business version that consumer could upgrade to which as you say could include SFP+ and solve all the problems easily for those that would pay a little bit more on a one off cost.
Old 30-08-2021, 19:48   #45
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

will the hub 4 still do port aggregation on ports 1 and 2 when in modem mode?

If so the this may help roughbeast:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039053/

regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote