Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Old 15-08-2018, 10:06   #976
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Aren't we the hand that feeds VM ?
Two hands in your case..

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Quote:
Indeed, seems Ed Balls couldn't get through to them the other day, wonder why ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-Twitter.html
Ed Balls does like to open his mouth but the problem is he is always sticking his foot in it without realising the ensuing chaos that generally unfolds from it..

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Quote:

You sound more 'senior' than me OB !
He still has a few years life in him yet as you are still a young pup compared to us oldies.

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

Quote:
Seriously some stuff, especially sit-coms, were much better than they are now. Hence the popularity of Gold. High definitions and huge TVs aren't everything if the content's crap.
On that we can certainly agree.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:08   #977
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

Ed Balls does like to open his mouth but the problem is he is always sticking his foot in it without realising the ensuing chaos that generally unfolds from it..

He was only asking for his footy in HD ! hardly a controversial political move....

(Anyway, I don't know. Just watched the BBC documentary of Balls in Trumpland. He was very tactful around that lot - scary people ! )
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:44   #978
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewEastaugh View Post
And many, many other things. Such as saying they wouldn't negotiate in public, after trying to negotiate literally in the middle of a BBC News video, which they then clipped and posted from their own corporate account. Like their various C&P statements repeated as infinitum from their own Twitter channels. Like their own comments on The Media Show, their community forum, in their press releases and elsewhere.

Come on, OB. Youre better than that. Lying isn't necessary.

I get that you're more in line with Virgin's side of things, that's fine. People are allowed different opinions. I'm slightly more on UKTVs side, but agree that both were at fault in a variety of ways. But to say that they only commented to say they wouldn't comment in public is blatantly untrue.
Why the hysterical response? You did see the grin emoji, didn’t you? It was meant to be a joke.

That one obviously fell flat!

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Very true, maybe you should think about that when you ask for proof of things thst others post Just because a link exists doesn't mean it's necessarily true and just because one isn't available it doesn't always follow that something isn't true either.

The VM stance changed depending on what suited them. They said that they wouldn't pass comment in public, yet frequently did so.
I think what they said is that they would not negotiate in public. From what I read VM did not say very much apart from alerting us to their reasons for not wishing to settle with UKTV (ie too expensive for channels with so much repeated old material, not enough OD, insufficient access to the BBC archives, etc.) Of course, they also had to participate in the occasional media interview, but I didn’t hear those.

From what I picked up, VM wanted to keep the details of their negotiating position close to its chest, whereas UKTV was really quite vocal about the whole thing. I’m not sure what is meant in the remark that VM kept changing position. Wasn’t the constant complaint that they just kept quoting the corporate line?

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Quote:
I'm not so sure that there aren't still a lot of people leaving, there's still a lot of complaints being made about long wait times to get through to disconnections/retentions and people immediately being disconnected as soon as they get through!

One was from a former VM employee who said that this was a disciplinary offence when she worked there.

It's a good start as a damage limitation excercise to get the channels come back, but I think that the way it was handled and the fact that It has now been brought to the attention of the public that VM is the least secure of all the main platforms for channel continuity will be of detriment to VM for a very long time.
I don’t buy this recurring comment about the long term damage done over the UKTV issue. Most people will forget about this with a little time, and most of those thinking of leaving last week, in the end will not be bothered to do so. They now have more channels and more OD than before, so why should they?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:04   #979
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t buy this recurring comment about the long term damage done over the UKTV issue. Most people will forget about this with a little time, and most of those thinking of leaving last week, in the end will not be bothered to do so. They now have more channels and more OD than before, so why should they?

And all the discounts/credits they have been giving out very freely over the last few weeks ?

From MSE:-
Quote:
Mark told us: "I stayed calm, explained my views and have managed to get the same package for £13 a month less. The first agent wasn't helpful so I asked to speak to someone else, then repeated my views and the result was a price reduction."

Vicki said: "I spoke to Virgin yesterday and managed to cancel my whole contract with no fees and I was still in contract till March 2019."

Kevin said: "We have contacted Virgin Media today – my wife was particularly disappointed to lose access to Dave and Gold – and we now have a revised contract at £19.50/mth less."

Anna said: "I followed the MSE guidance and managed to reduce my bill by £16/mth. I was determined to be the nicest call that the operator had received today as I'm sure the call centre staff are having a miserable time right now. It never costs anything to be polite."

Andy told us: "Just called Virgin. They offered me £50 credit, a reduced monthly bill and offered me Sky Movies (£30) for free."

Jake said: "I contacted Virgin Media to advise them of my disappointment. They have upped my broadband speeds from 54 to 108Mbps free of charge, they have extended my free Sky Sports package from three to six months and have kept my subscription at the introductory rate of £29/mth until further notice."
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...youre-affected

Not complaining as I've done very well aswell , especially as the channels have come back anyway But this will have made a dent in VMs income and not done its image any good to potential customers. Sorry, but the 'Chief Clown' needs sacking....
Old 15-08-2018, 11:31   #980
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Why the hysterical response? You did see the grin emoji, didn’t you? It was meant to be a joke.

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

I think what they said is that they would not negotiate in public. From what I read VM did not say very much apart from alerting us to their reasons for not wishing to settle with UKTV (ie too expensive for channels with so much repeated old material, not enough OD, insufficient access to the BBC archives, etc.) Of course, they also had to participate in the occasional media interview, but I didn’t hear those.

From what I picked up, VM wanted to keep the details of their negotiating position close to its chest, whereas UKTV was really quite vocal about the whole thing. I’m not sure what is meant in the remark that VM kept changing position. Wasn’t the constant complaint that they just kept quoting the corporate line?

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Take a look for yourself on online forums a social networking sites, they're full of comments about how VM can't be trusted to keep the channels on air that people sign up and put themselves into a contract for.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:36   #981
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Take a look for yourself on online forums a social networking sites, they're full of comments about how VM can't be trusted to keep the channels on air that people sign up and put themselves into a contract for.
Online forums are not representative of the vast majority of people opinions and anybody who thinks they are is deluding themselves..

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Quote:
And all the discounts/credits they have been giving out very freely over the last few weeks ?
Discounts and credits are handed out on a regular basis so that's not significant Mr K.
Old 15-08-2018, 11:52   #982
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Online forums are not representative of the vast majority of people opinions and anybody who thinks they are is deluding themselves..

Discounts and credits are handed out on a regular basis so that's not significant Mr K.
Social media is very important for the young as I explained earlier in the thread. It's easy not to appreciate the importance of it in the lives of young people.

Extra discounts were given out more than would have been done and a fair few were significantly more than the £3 that I got. Some were a lot more, which I suspect was because these people hadn't claimed things like loyalty discounts etc, which would have remained unclaimed if it were not for these channels disappearing.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 12:18   #983
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

Quote:

Well, it's not that different to the other comments you've made throughout this thread (heck, even within that post just there), so it being a 'joke' isn't exactly obvious...

Regarding one of your follow-on points, as an example of them changing their position, you note they said they 'wouldn't negotiate in public'. This clip, from their corporate Twitter account on the first day that the channels were missing, is them quite literally 'negotiating in public':

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...22793030807553

There was also repeated offers to 'restore the free channels immediately', and more public negotiation in the following days:

https://twitter.com/virginmedia/stat...26943116644352
'@UKTV has decided to cut off Virgin Media customers from its free channels like Dave.
We want to keep these on air. So, @UKTV – will you #saveDave?'

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...36689031458818
'To be clear: we are ready to restore UKTV’s free channels for our customers immediately with @UKTV’s permission.'

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...27306185838592
'@UKTV Glad you agree these channels are freely available and funded by advertising. Why not make them available to our customers through Virgin TV?'

The 'won't negotiate in public' line only surfaced after UKTV tweeted that Virgin had backed out of a deal on the 3rd August:

https://twitter.com/UKTV/status/1025418796016836613

Anyway.

OB and others weren't bothered the channels were gone, and aren't especially worried they're back.
Myself and others were annoyed they were gone, and are quite happy they're back.
Given no one seems actively angry that they're back, I think we can probably put this whole topic to bed now, as everyone's united either in happiness or not-bothered-ness.

Last edited by MatthewEastaugh; 15-08-2018 at 12:24.
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:10   #984
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Given no one seems actively angry that they're back, I think we can probably put this whole topic to bed now, as everyone's united either in happiness or not-bothered-ness.
or until VM announce a price rise - oh look they've just done that very thing !
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-for-2018.html

predictable as ever VM.....
Old 15-08-2018, 13:34   #985
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Of course its predictable. It happens every year. Whether its VM or Sky or even rail prices increasing.

Hardly unexpected
Old 15-08-2018, 13:40   #986
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Anyway.

OB and others weren't bothered the channels were gone, and aren't especially worried they're back.
Myself and others were annoyed they were gone, and are quite happy they're back.
Yes please lets put this one to bed!
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:52   #987
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I know, Richard, but as we keep trying to tell you, these customers are only a small fraction of the VM customer base.

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Quote:

Not only that, but VM didn't have to pay anything to UKTV in those three weeks. They would have taken the money for the discounts from that.

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Quote:
Well, it's not that different to the other comments you've made throughout this thread (heck, even within that post just there), so it being a 'joke' isn't exactly obvious...

Regarding one of your follow-on points, as an example of them changing their position, you note they said they 'wouldn't negotiate in public'. This clip, from their corporate Twitter account on the first day that the channels were missing, is them quite literally 'negotiating in public':

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...22793030807553

There was also repeated offers to 'restore the free channels immediately', and more public negotiation in the following days:

https://twitter.com/virginmedia/stat...26943116644352
'@UKTV has decided to cut off Virgin Media customers from its free channels like Dave.
We want to keep these on air. So, @UKTV – will you #saveDave?'

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...36689031458818
'To be clear: we are ready to restore UKTV’s free channels for our customers immediately with @UKTV’s permission.'

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...27306185838592
'@UKTV Glad you agree these channels are freely available and funded by advertising. Why not make them available to our customers through Virgin TV?'

The 'won't negotiate in public' line only surfaced after UKTV tweeted that Virgin had backed out of a deal on the 3rd August:

https://twitter.com/UKTV/status/1025418796016836613

Anyway.

So you'd think. 'Nuff said.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:18   #988
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

From MSE:-

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...youre-affected

Not complaining as I've done very well aswell , especially as the channels have come back anyway But this will have made a dent in VMs income and not done its image any good to potential customers. Sorry, but the 'Chief Clown' needs sacking....
I phoned in at beginning of this year to go from 200Mb to 350Mb, that was all. I didn't mention money or discount and by the end of the call was £26 pm better off. It seems VM give discounts anyway.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:43   #989
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I phoned in at beginning of this year to go from 200Mb to 350Mb, that was all. I didn't mention money or discount and by the end of the call was £26 pm better off. It seems VM give discounts anyway.
they've always given 'discounts' out, usually on condition you sign up to a 12 month contract. But I was amazed at the discount and cash they gave out when i rang a few weeks ago, on top of the discount i was already getting - without really asking. It's usually like getting blood out of stone. Doubtless it wouldn't be as easy now they have the channels back !
Old 15-08-2018, 14:49   #990
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

Quote:
So you'd think. 'Nuff said.
*sigh*
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote