Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:39   #2611
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
You mention that the EU is corrupt again so I went for a search for evidence that the European Union as an organisation is corrupt. The only evidence I can find is MEPs fiddling their expenses. Is there any other evidence you can link me up with?
Here’s a tip remove the EU rose tinted glasses and you may spot how corrupt it is, I do not have to justify my reasonings to you. To me, the EU is corrupt in how it behaves and dictates and it needs to be extinguished.
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2018, 11:19   #2612
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It should also be pointed out here that the EU has still not had its accounts signed off! It makes you wonder if they can even add up! Unless it IS corruption, of course!
Partially true but not completely true, the accounts are accurate so they can add up but there are errors in payments - https://fullfact.org/europe/did-audi...ign-eu-budget/

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Here’s a tip remove the EU rose tinted glasses and you may spot how corrupt it is, I do not have to justify my reasonings to you. To me, the EU is corrupt in how it behaves and dictates and it needs to be extinguished.
You are of course entitled to your opinions, I was just asking for evidence of corruption as I have not really been able to find anything. I am happy to be proved wrong if there is good evidence
Old 02-05-2018, 11:39   #2613
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

You are of course entitled to your opinions, I was just asking for evidence of corruption as I have not really been able to find anything. I am happy to be proved wrong if there is good evidence
You're not looking hard enough, plenty of evidence exists dating back 40 years, that would be the day we joined the bloc.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:51   #2614
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Total rubbish as usual ... when you wear 40+ year old "Empire" glasses to look back at the "good old days", your world view is remarkably different ... and wrong (again)*

* justification for reasoning is redacted
Old 02-05-2018, 12:07   #2615
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Total rubbish as usual ... when you wear 40+ year old "Empire" glasses to look back at the "good old days", your world view is remarkably different ... and wrong (again)*

* justification for reasoning is redacted
No I am not wrong. 17.4 Million people tell me so. (I don't need to redact anything, whatever that rubbish about redaction's, you were going on about.)
Old 02-05-2018, 16:57   #2616
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
No I am not wrong. 17.4 Million people tell me so. (I don't need to redact anything, whatever that rubbish about redaction's, you were going on about.)
Just don't like criticism do you?

If you post in such a childish and pejorative style: "[the EU] needs to be extinguished" then maybe the replies you get need to be in the same style?
Old 02-05-2018, 20:44   #2617
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Just don't like criticism do you?

If you post in such a childish and pejorative style: "[the EU] needs to be extinguished" then maybe the replies you get need to be in the same style?
Is that some kind of thinly veiled threat ?

There is nothing childish about saying the EU needs to be extinguished. That is a perfectly legitimate view. I cannot stand the EU, why has that not sunk in yet ?
Old 02-05-2018, 21:33   #2618
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

I guess the use of the word 'extinguish' may seem to some a little extreme based on the definition I guess you mean in this case;

Quote:
put an end to; destroy.
"hope is extinguished little by little"
synonyms: destroy, end, finish off, put an end to, put a stop to, bring to an end, terminate, remove, annihilate, wipe out, wipe off the face of the earth, wipe off the map, erase, eliminate, eradicate, obliterate, liquidate, expunge, abolish, exterminate, kill, extirpate, obscure, suppress, disrupt, undo, upset;
I for one get the fact you wanted to leave and of course that is what is happening but would it be fair to say, based on what you are saying, that this isn't the end and only the destruction of the EU as an organisation would make you happy?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:35   #2619
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I guess the use of the word 'extinguish' may seem to some a little extreme based on the definition I guess you mean in this case;

I for one get the fact you wanted to leave and of course that is what is happening but would it be fair to say, based on what you are saying, that this isn't the end and only the destruction of the EU as an organisation would make you happy?
It's all academic, really. We will soon be out of the EU, probably in the nick of time before the whole thing implodes.
Old 03-05-2018, 18:31   #2620
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Just to remind all, one of the deeper reasons why we should leave the EU:

German hegemony.

I'll explain.

In the 1980s, Germany was becoming uncompetitive because the DM currency was rising in value to the point where they were becoming industrially uncompetitive. A way had to be found of devaluing the DM.

So, they persuaded France to back the forerunner to the Euro - the ECU. The word even sounded French and by 1991 it had morphed into the ERM (Exchange Rate Mechanism) which the UK joined until the interest rate crisis occurred when we withdrew.

The ERM was supposed to operate until all the member countries (now the Eurozone) had brought their borrowing to within a +/- 3% of GDP range.

So, I draw you attention to GREECE & ITALY. No way did Greece & Italy fulfill these entry requirements which is exactly what Germany wanted so that the overall value of the Euro against the basket of pre-Eurozone currencies would offset the high value of the DM. Also weaker currencies in terms of GDP such as Spain & Portugal added to Germany's cup of joy.

When the Euro happened around 1999, German labour & thus industrial costs fell significantly and they became highly productive.

Evidence: The German financial surpluses should be seen against nearly every one else's deficit.

Result: Germany runs the EU with France as its running dog.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 03-05-2018, 23:50   #2621
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Britain will be unable to leave the customs union before 2023, ministers have been told, leading to fears that the delay will be exploited by Remainers to thwart Brexit.
In a briefing to the Cabinet’s Brexit sub-committee earlier this week, senior civil servants said highly complex new technology that will be needed to operate Britain’s borders after Brexit might not be ready for another five years.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...inisters-told/
Telegraph exclusive - register to read article in full
Old 04-05-2018, 02:59   #2622
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Interesting question raised on last night's Question Time "is there a difference between a brexiteer and a remainer who thinks that the referendum decision should be upheld".
Old 04-05-2018, 10:20   #2623
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...inisters-told/
Telegraph exclusive - register to read article in full
Again, ‘might’, ‘may be’, ‘it’s possible’, same pathetic words being used.... they never learn.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31   #2624
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Interesting question raised on last night's Question Time "is there a difference between a brexiteer and a remainer who thinks that the referendum decision should be upheld".
Yes. The Remainer has accepted the result and will take what comes. They know they can change the outcome so no point in going on about it.
Old 07-05-2018, 15:33   #2625
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
That is a good question! There is a subtle difference between ‘accept’ and ‘agree’. I accept the result of the referendum, it is what it is. Have I had a damascene revelation where, based on what the referendum said, I agree that leaving is a good idea? No, nothing so far has changed my mind.

The big question now is what leaving actually entails, where will we be in 5-10 years time? What will our relationships be with our closest neighbours and the wider world?

My work and personal interests revolve around ease of trade and regulatory issues. The company I work for and our customers are global but the ease of intra EU trade has been a significant advantage in the past. How this will be handled going forward is a big question that still seems to be hanging.
Closed Thread