Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Election 2019 - Week 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Election 2019 - Week 2
View Poll Results: Your voting intention at this stage of the campaign:
Labour 7 15.91%
Conservative 22 50.00%
Lib Dem 5 11.36%
UKIP 0 0%
Brexit 2 4.55%
Green 1 2.27%
Change UK 0 0%
Plaid Cymru 0 0%
SNP 1 2.27%
Irish nationalist 1 2.27%
Irish unionist 0 0%
Other 2 4.55%
Abstaining 1 2.27%
Ineligible 0 0%
Undecided 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-11-2019, 10:39   #46
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Election 2019 - Week 2

Not sure how someone stating some services aren’t creating genuine competition makes them a Marxist/Communist - according to that logic, Adam Smith is a Marxist...

Or....

You could just be smearing someone?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2019, 10:43   #47
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
But you consistently claim that the Labour Party is primarily responsible for austerity in this country when they are are not.
Yes they are!

They racked up the deficit considerably in the 13 years in power. Who else is to blame FFS?

They sold Gold reserves at rock bottom prices. Labour were a total economic mess, as they always are and always requires a Tory government to clean up their disgusting spending spree.

Just look at the disaster waiting to happen with Corbyn and McDonnell at the helm. Unions getting more power, there will be strikes galore, bankrupting companies being squeezed to pay their staff more and more.

They’re now promising handing out free broadband for every home in UK, that they would run and own the network. I would not use their freebie service if they paid me, talk about spying on everyone en masse. No thank you. But what about the cost to the internet industry itself, ISP firms could collapse, leading to significant job losses.

Labour is not the answer and never has been.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:46   #48
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Not sure how someone stating some services aren’t creating genuine competition makes them a Marxist/Communist - according to that logic, Adam Smith is a Marxist...

Or....

Heres some research the government itself has published...

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._FE_Report.pdf
Old 15-11-2019, 11:10   #49
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I'm sure Tony Benn said the same about the British Car Industry in the 70's.....................................

Rather than giving choice, you want to give everyone vanilla broadband.

Typical Marxist/Communist, you'll have us all driving state manufactured Ladas/ Polski Fiats. Watching only a few state owned tv channels and radio, that show continual programmes about our dear Leader Father Corbyn.
It will, whilst I disagree, I can understand the argument for Nationalisation of the rail, water and to a lesser extent power.

But the communications sector is not something that needs buggering about with. Communications are not like when the Post Office ran it. The speed of change and level of continual investment required would far outstrip anything a state owned vehicle could keep on top of, especially if they're giving it away for free.

It may have appeared to him as a great soundbite, but people will see it for what it is, pie in the sky election promises.
Except it's not comparable with the car industry at all - the most obvious being that cars exist in a worldwide market. I can import a German car, a Japanese car, etc.

I can't import broadband from literally thousands of like for like comparable products. I can buy BT, or a BT wholesale product through a third party. I'm lucky enough to have Virgin as an option.

However there isn't enough competition in the market to drive prices down due to the high fixed costs of installing being a barrier to entry.

While I'm sure many in the telecommunications sector would rightly be terrified of their cushy jobs and massive profits coming under threat. However to the average household saving £300 to £600 a year and finding broadband through taxation would be beneficial.

The state is already having to massively subside areas that aren't "cost effective" anyway - might as well bring the profitable parts into the fold to benefit the taxpayer.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:

Or....

It's just right wing propaganda because they know their time is coming. Tick tock.
Old 15-11-2019, 11:30   #50
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Or....

oh look, it's Hugh on his big white stallion coming to the aid of JFman, like he needs it lol.

Some one advocating to get rid of all competition and have a single state owned provider is Marxism in it's purest form.

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Except it's not comparable with the car industry at all - the most obvious being that cars exist in a worldwide market. I can import a German car, a Japanese car, etc.
But killing the British car market by bringing in all the British car manufacturers into one single govt owned vehicle was fine was it?

Quote:
I can't import broadband from literally thousands of like for like comparable products. I can buy BT, or a BT wholesale product through a third party. I'm lucky enough to have Virgin as an option.

However there isn't enough competition in the market to drive prices down due to the high fixed costs of installing being a barrier to entry.
So then nationalising Open reach, funding the national build of FTTP with tax money, then giving the service "free" to everyone. There-bye killing off Virgin Media and any other provider, is increasing competition is it? increasing choice? or is it stifling innovation and just ensuring that everyone has the same vanilla product with no chance of having any thing different?

Quote:
While I'm sure many in the telecommunications sector would rightly be terrified of their cushy jobs
You are some piece of work. Virgin Media engineers out in the street now in sub-zero temperatures fixing faults, cushy are they?

All 15,000 or so employees , the customer service reps on £15K a years revelling in an orgy of greed ?

Quote:
However to the average household saving £300 to £600 a year and finding broadband through taxation would be beneficial.
Great let's destroy a sector make thousands of people unemployed, so JFman can save £600 a year while he plays himself watching his computer.

Definitely for the many.

Quote:
The state is already having to massively subside areas that aren't "cost effective" anyway - might as well bring the profitable parts into the fold to benefit the taxpayer
Which bits of Virgin Media are the Govt subsiding?

Quote:
It's just right wing propaganda because they know their time is coming. Tick tock.
Left wing lunacy, I really hope McDonnell has a few more ideas like this up his sleeve, he doing the Tory campaign the world of good.
Old 15-11-2019, 11:40   #51
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
oh look, it's Hugh on his big white stallion coming to the aid of JFman, like he needs it lol.

Some one advocating to get rid of all competition and have a single state owned provider is Marxism in it's purest form.

But killing the British car market by bringing in all the British car manufacturers into one single govt owned vehicle was fine was it?

So then nationalising Open reach, funding the national build of FTTP with tax money, then giving the service "free" to everyone. There-bye killing off Virgin Media and any other provider, is increasing competition is it? increasing choice? or is it stifling innovation and just ensuring that everyone has the same vanilla product with no chance of having any thing different?

You are some piece of work. Virgin Media engineers out in the street now in sub-zero temperatures fixing faults, cushy are they?

All 15,000 or so employees , the customer service reps on £15K a years revelling in an orgy of greed ?

Great let's destroy a sector make thousands of people unemployed, so JFman can save £600 a year while he plays himself watching his computer.

Definitely for the many.

Which bits of Virgin Media are the Govt subsiding?

Left wing lunacy, I really hope McDonnell has a few more ideas like this up his sleeve, he doing the Tory campaign the world of good.
Save the insults that I'm a "piece of work". Your failure to understand economics is not my problem.

You are falling into the neo-liberal trap that competition is always the answer when it simply isn't. You've asked questions to distract the point - at no point did I claim Virgin Media were subsided - I said the parts of fibre rollout that aren't commercially viable are subsidised.

All to provide consumers limited choice which doesn't drive down prices. Killing off competition in this instance removes duplicate costs and delivers a more efficient outcome for the taxpayer.
Old 15-11-2019, 11:47   #52
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Some interesting local council results yesterday. LD gain 2 from Cons, and SNP gain 1 from Cons.

Quote:
Culverden (Tunbridge Wells) result:

LDEM: 46.7% (+33.5)
CON: 24.9% (-19.1)
WEP: 10.2% (+10.2)
TWA: 9.5% (+9.5)
LAB: 5.2% (-14.3)
GRN: 3.5% (-7.5)

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative.

Shap (Eden) result:

LDEM: 48.5% (+17.3)
CON: 33.8% (-17.4)
PCF: 17.7% (+0.1)

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative.

Dunfermline East (Fife) first preferences:

SNP: 33.2% (+9.1)
CON: 24.8% (-6.5)
LDEM: 22.8% (+13.8)
LAB: 13.5% (-6.3)
GRN: 5.1% (+0.9)
LBT: 0.6% (+0.6)

SNP GAIN from Conservative.
Old 15-11-2019, 11:51   #53
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Some interesting local council results yesterday. LD gain 2 from Cons, and SNP gain 1 from Cons.
Indeed some very interesting results which just makes this general election even more unpredictable and volatile then it already is.
Old 15-11-2019, 12:11   #54
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Tories going to get eliminated in Scotland at the GE. No Ruth running around with a Union Flag on the campaign any more. Just old, stake, grey, white men who don't care about Scotland's interests.
Old 15-11-2019, 12:18   #55
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Save the insults that I'm a "piece of work". Your failure to understand economics is not my problem.
Nor yours mine.

Quote:
You are falling into the neo-liberal trap that competition is always the answer when it simply isn't.
You've fell into the trap that Marxist state controlled entities is the answer, when the facts of over 150 years of evidence and nation case studies say otherwise.

Good luck in the future comrade.

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

Quote:
Tories going to get eliminated in Scotland at the GE. No Ruth running around with a Union Flag on the campaign any more. Just old, stake, grey, white men who don't care about Scotland's interests.
Will be on a par with Labour then.
Old 15-11-2019, 13:08   #56
Cable Forum

Cable Forum has reached the bronze age
Cable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze age

It seems we are getting carried away again and degrading the debate with petty bickering and personal insults.

Enough. Offending posts have been removed and should there be any more of this, individual topic bans will be implemented on such individual(s), who ignore this instruction.

Thread re-opened.
Old 15-11-2019, 14:20   #57
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Heres two more interesting ones.

Quote:
St Mary's (Powys) result:

LAB: 37.4% (+16.3)
CON: 26.5% (-14.9)
PC: 14.1% (+14.1)
LDEM: 11.1% (-16.3)
IND: 11.0% (+11.0)

Labour GAIN from Conservative.

No GRN (-10.2) as prev.

Quote:
Goodrington with Roselands (Torbay) result:

CON: 49.3% (+17.6)
LDEM: 35.5% (-)
BREX: 9.3% (+9.3)
LAB: 4.0% (-3.2)
GRN: 1.9% (-8.9)

Conservative GAIN from Liberal Democrat.

No UKIP (-14.7) as prev.
Old 15-11-2019, 14:25   #58
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

The thing with council elections is that there is very low turnout, you cannot measure with any reasonable levy of accuracy of what the General Election results will show.
Old 15-11-2019, 14:30   #59
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
The thing with council elections is that there is very low turnout, you cannot measure with any reasonable levy of accuracy of what the General Election results will show.
l think what the results do suggest is that there will be a lot of tactical voting and volatility come election day.
Old 15-11-2019, 15:51   #60
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into council elections either. In my area, the local council is Liberal Democrat while the parliamentary constituency is turbo Conservative (Three Rivers Council vs South West Herts)
Closed Thread