Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 14-03-2020, 22:54   #496
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coronavirus

The BBC1 news has just reported that someone has died who wasn't elderly/ill/disabled

Also, a new born baby has caught the virus- I thought that children were the safest out of everybody and that babies couldn't catch it in the womb

I've started with a bad cough, but it's not a dry cough, so i'm not too concerned yet.
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2020, 23:03   #497
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Also, a new born baby has caught the virus- I thought that children were the safest out of everybody and that babies couldn't catch it in the womb
Possibly the baby caught it off the mother during or just after birth (mother reportedly has pneumonia).

AIUI children are least likely to die (I've just read that none under age 10 have died). But they can still catch it.
Old 14-03-2020, 23:17   #498
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Following on. Would the ban on mass gatherings include public and/or University libraries? There's generally a peak of 2000 people in the University library. I also happen to work at said University, with the current move of all education to online lecturing I'm thinking I'm about to be shot twice.

They allowed students to leave and return to their parents homes yesterday but that wasn't feasible for many, international students in particular with a pretty big Asian student population in the North-East Uni's. They're generally gathering in the libraries and SU locations. They haven't been stopped from trying to travel home but there's a fear if they do manage it then they'll be stopped returning.
where I’m studying has cancelled all classes until further notice but the library is open and staff are expected to go in to work to deliver courses via the VLE as far as possible. They have said they think this will flatten out library demand, and it will a bit because you won’t get people arriving by the hundred on the hour when lectures finish, but there have been plenty of classless days recently during lecturer trade union strikes and frankly it made little difference to the overall number of people in the building during the middle of the day. It just made the numbers rise and fall more steadily.
Old 14-03-2020, 23:24   #499
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I’m going to bed............for a few weeks?
Old 14-03-2020, 23:33   #500
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
The BBC1 news has just reported that someone has died who wasn't elderly/ill/disabled

I've started with a bad cough, but it's not a dry cough, so i'm not too concerned yet.
Are you sure about that?
BBC News
Quote:
Of the latest deaths in the UK, eight were men aged over 80 and all but one were known to have had underlying health conditions.
All over 80, but only one without a known pre-existing condition. I suppose most over-80s will have a pre-existing condition, it's a matter of how much it has manifested itself beforehand.

The issue with having a "wet" cough instead is that you could also be carrying COVID-19 and spread it.
Quote:
Under a state of emergency, Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez is banning Spanish citizens from leaving home, except for buying essential supplies and medicines, or for work.
Good luck with trying that in the UK.

I'm stocked up enough to self-isolate for a few weeks if necessary, but what then? If in the meantime food production has drastically reduced, I would have self-isolated too early.

Last edited by nomadking; 14-03-2020 at 23:36.
Old 14-03-2020, 23:37   #501
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

All over 70's are to imminently be instructed to self isolate for four months, even if they are not ill, by the government according to ITV in a wartime-style mobilisation effort in the next five to 20 days.

The Queen has already started after leaving Buckingham Palace just under an hour ago.

Edit: @ Nomadking I must have misunderstood about that bit, which i'm glad about. Thanks for the correction.
Old 14-03-2020, 23:49   #502
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
All over 70's are to imminently be instructed to self isolate for four months, even if they are not ill, by the government according to ITV in a wartime-style mobilisation effort in the next five to 20 days.

The Queen has already started after leaving Buckingham Palace just under an hour ago.

Edit: @ Nomadking I must have misunderstood about that bit, which i'm glad about. Thanks for the correction.
How would that work? Would they get priority for supermarket deliveries and the products needed for those orders? How do you distinguish between households that are all over 70 and those with younger people also there?

"The Sun" may have confused matters by describing the baby as a "victim", ie implying they had died.
Old 14-03-2020, 23:52   #503
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Could have been misheard as another country. Not every death will be elderly and have underlying problems but of course given the evidence, the majority will. An earlier study that naturally focused on the original Chinese outbreak had something around 12,000 infected under 40 and 26 deaths.

The obvious reality is if the number drives up the chance someone seemingly healthy and under 40 will die. This is still in line with what we already know though. Basically there's still no need for a mass panic when it does happen.
Old 15-03-2020, 00:18   #504
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Could have been misheard as another country. Not every death will be elderly and have underlying problems but of course given the evidence, the majority will. An earlier study that naturally focused on the original Chinese outbreak had something around 12,000 infected under 40 and 26 deaths.

The obvious reality is if the number drives up the chance someone seemingly healthy and under 40 will die. This is still in line with what we already know though. Basically there's still no need for a mass panic when it does happen.
But what are the mortality rates for those not elderly AND without an underlying condition? There will almost certainly be deaths in the non-elderly, but with underlying conditions, especially lung related ones.
Old 15-03-2020, 00:49   #505
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’m going to bed............for a few weeks?
EXACTLY what Stephen Fry recommends!

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/03/1...uHf-zxi-CBttwc

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
How would that work? Would they get priority for supermarket deliveries and the products needed for those orders? How do you distinguish between households that are all over 70 and those with younger people also there?

"The Sun" may have confused matters by describing the baby as a "victim", ie implying they had died.
The government say that they are to discuss getting food to the elderly via Uber Eats & Deliveroo! My one and only experience of Uber Eats was terrible, can't speak for Deliveroo.

A lot of our daytime customers are pensioners and they don't tend to like pizza, curry, fried chicken etc that these seem to provide, they're more likely to go for liver & onions etc.
Old 15-03-2020, 01:30   #506
nomadking
cf.mega poster

In certain areas the elderly are "clumped" together in sheltered accomodation of one sort or another. Eg My road is a set of sheltered bungalows. Easier to make group grocery deliveries. Would be silly to have completely separate arrangements for each flat, bungalow, etc.
Old 15-03-2020, 02:32   #507
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
tbf, he’s not the only one disagreeing (and these are real experts, not internet ones).

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51892402
Experts?

Gimme a break.

They ain’t no experts, not experts qualified to give advice at the highest level, not one virologists, is recognised on there, looking at the list of names, just looks like a list of a bunch of mathematicians, students, probably greasy Corbynists, for all we know, wtf do they know about health related stuff and expert behavioural modelling when their expertise is maths, statisticians and PhD students, who btw are scientists in-waiting. They hold absolutely no qualification to give any advice on this pandemic.
Old 15-03-2020, 02:37   #508
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Our local/neighbourhood Facebook pages are setting up "help groups" to contact aged/vulnerable people in their street, to get/drop off groceries etc. for them.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 15-03-2020, 05:21   #509
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Our local/neighbourhood Facebook pages are setting up "help groups" to contact aged/vulnerable people in their street, to get/drop off groceries etc. for them.
That's good to hear. My next village have been talking about doing this tonight in their facebook group, so it's great that other places have had the same idea.
Old 15-03-2020, 08:28   #510
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from Mr K:

Herd immunity? We aren't cattle.
No. More like sheep.
Closed Thread