Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using VM TV with a black & white TV licence.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Using VM TV with a black & white TV licence.

Old 09-11-2018, 15:24   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Using VM TV with a black & white TV licence.

The latest statistics show that over 7,000 people still watch TV in black and white:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8623526.html

I read a comment elsewhere where a woman said that she had to buy a colour licence after having VM TV installed as they told the TVL records office. They said that because the VM STB receives colour broadcasts, that she needed a colour licence and the fact that her TV was monochrome was irrelevant.

This seems odd as this doesn't apply to Freeview users using a (colour) STB with a black & white TV.

I know that it's a part of the VM t&c's that a valid TV licence is required to use their TV service, but this is the first time that I've heard of VM passing on customer details to TV licencing (presumably this was in the days when TV dealers were obliged to pass on details of anyone buying or renting a TV set).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2018, 16:08   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Using VM TV with a black & white TV licence.

Link.

Quote:
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to
  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
  • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 16:46   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

What I can't understand is why VM informed TVL (If it's correct that they did) and why colour (non recordable) Freeview boxes are exempt from needing a colour licence when used with a monochrome television
Old 09-11-2018, 17:01   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

At the most VM will just tell TVL that a property now has their services.

Anything after that about what licence is needed will be down to TVL
Old 09-11-2018, 17:21   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I find it interesting that TVL say they don't check up on b&w licences and just take people's word for it! The no of B&w licences might now increase dramatically
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 17:26   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I find it interesting that TVL say they don't check up on b&w licences and just take people's word for it! The no of B&w licences might now increase dramatically

Yes I must remember to tell them about my black and white 55 inch oled tv
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 17:37   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I'm not sure how they administer the sale of black & white licenses, but I do know that you can't buy them online. Presumably some human involvement is used to try and weed out those trying it on.

The number of monochrome licenses has been decreasing year on year since they were overtaken by the sale of colour licenses in the early eighties.

Last year there were 8,000 monochrome licenses in use (with the vast majority being in London), so at this rate they will naturally die out within a few years. I suspect that this is partly due to older people who were content with black & white either moving into residential care/with families, dying or becoming entitled to a free TVL at age 75 when they might as well go colour. Some postcodes are 100% colour already:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/med...=1369783627625

A lot of sight impaired people use black & white to cut costs as they cannot appreciate the colour pictures, the relatively few who cannot see anything at all are able to use a box that picks up TV sound only and doesn't require a TV licence.
Old 09-11-2018, 18:03   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm not sure how they administer the sale of black & white licenses, but I do know that you can't buy them online. Presumably some human involvement is used to try and weed out those trying it on.
Doesn't seem that hard, you can just send a £50 cheque with your name and address on the back to them ! Sending mine off now
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ236
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 19:04   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What I can't understand is ... why colour (non recordable) Freeview boxes are exempt from needing a colour licence when used with a monochrome television
Because them's the rules:
"A black and white TV Licence costs £50.50. It covers you to watch any live TV and stream BBC programmes on iPlayer using a black and white TV or monitor. But, if you download BBC programmes on iPlayer or record any live TV, you must have a colour TV Licence."
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 20:07   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Is any B&W TV able to be connected to any digital source (Freeview or STB) ? ? ?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 20:10   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Perhaps they are at the far end of the colour-blind spectrum, so don’t see why they should pay for a colour licence.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 14:36   #12
bishop84
cf.member

bishop84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What I can't understand is why VM informed TVL (If it's correct that they did) and why colour (non recordable) Freeview boxes are exempt from needing a colour licence when used with a monochrome television
I understand that if you buy a TV then the retailer has to inform TV Licensing. This has been required for many years and the even the old TV rental companies (remember them!) had to report what equipment they supplied to customers.
bishop84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 17:48   #13
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop84 View Post
I understand that if you buy a TV then the retailer has to inform TV Licensing. This has been required for many years and the even the old TV rental companies (remember them!) had to report what equipment they supplied to customers.
You sure? If you pay by cash are you committed to giving your name and address to the sales person? I wouldn't have thought so.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 18:00   #14
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We've bought a couple of TV's over the last four years over the net and the TVL threatening letters are still addressed to "The Legal Occupier" so I don't think that happens these days.

We're not on the public electoral register so they haven't a clue.
Old 10-11-2018, 18:02   #15
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You sure? If you pay by cash are you committed to giving your name and address to the sales person? I wouldn't have thought so.
They used to under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967, although the section is now repealed in an effort to reduce the burden on businesses.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/.../IA12-014K.pdf

I’d equally be amazed if Sky/Virgin still notify, but I’m sure those at TV licensing would never voluntarily clarify if this was the case. The belief alone will endure a few sign up, those that don’t can be harassed in the usual manner.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote