Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 28-10-2018, 15:39   #5806
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Just a bit of social media, not hammering the bandwidth at all. No big downloads or uploads in this house these days.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2018, 17:29   #5807
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

So it's area congestion on your 8 channels. Maybe you should go for a Hub 3 - they're OK now.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 17:57   #5808
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

When it first arrived, it's wifi signal could not even reach 10ft vertically down to the V6 through a simple planked floor. Neither could it give a good signal to my son's phone in the next room though plasterboard. I was told to revert back to the 2ac as "the hub 3 is not very good at wifi".
Old 28-10-2018, 18:12   #5809
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
When it first arrived, it's wifi signal could not even reach 10ft vertically down to the V6 through a simple planked floor. Neither could it give a good signal to my son's phone in the next room though plasterboard. I was told to revert back to the 2ac as "the hub 3 is not very good at wifi".

Sounds like your walls are similar to mine and i have no issues, just buy a proper router and use the latest modem from VM with 24 down streams as sooner or later you will need atleast a hub3.
Old 28-10-2018, 18:14   #5810
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

In my experience, the Hub 3 wireless is the same as the 2ac (a very good 8 channel SH).

To be sure that the Hub 3 was not mis-performing, you could use NetAnalyzer or inSSIDer to measure the signal strength received from each hub at thekey locations, ensuring that the Hub 3 is at exactly the same location and orientation as the 2ac.

Old 28-10-2018, 19:11   #5811
Taf
cf.mega poster

Having a telecomms background, I suspect the internal aerial setup and alignment is not ideal for the situation I use it in.

Is there an internal photo or diagram showing the aerial knocking about?

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

Found one!

https://www.mobile-computer-repairs....s/Arris-TG2492

Last edited by Taf; 28-10-2018 at 19:14.
Old 28-10-2018, 20:47   #5812
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

If the attachments are present, you'll see the 3 x 5GHz antennae at the top left of IMG_5647 and in IMG_5646 2 x 2.4GHz antennae at the top on the other side of the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5647.jpg (819.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5646.jpg (882.2 KB, 23 views)

Old 29-10-2018, 10:21   #5813
Taf
cf.mega poster

Thanks for that, much clearer photos. Skycross surface antennae.

In my situation the 2.4Ghz antennae are facing a brick wall a foot away. Not good. I'd need to try rotating the case 180 degs and have the cabling facing me. Ugly.

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Incidentally that board is quite mucky!
Old 29-10-2018, 11:28   #5814
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Can't you just use the 5ghz or does that give you less range.

Have you thought about getting a proper router then you won't have these issues with future basic VM equipment?
Old 29-10-2018, 11:39   #5815
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Thanks for that, much clearer photos. Skycross surface antennae.

In my situation the 2.4Ghz antennae are facing a brick wall a foot away. Not good. I'd need to try rotating the case 180 degs and have the cabling facing me. Ugly.

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Incidentally that board is quite mucky!
You're welcome. I've made a block diagram from my teardown.

Anyway, on WiFi, you're faced with the dilemma of home aesthetics and practicality. I would always go for practicality, though that might (in my case does) include measures such as Powerline adapters in the house. I was pleasantly surprised to find that with 4 adapters in the house, three downstairs and one upstairs, I nevertheless got 75 Mbps on the upstairs one in the same room 5GHz (circuit is 200 Mbps).

Old 29-10-2018, 15:02   #5816
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Can't you just use the 5ghz or does that give you less range.

Have you thought about getting a proper router then you won't have these issues with future basic VM equipment?
5ghz is as cr@p as a cr@p thing in a cr@p situation. The house was rewalled several years ago with an overdose of stainless steel ties and grips. It's like living in a Faraday cage.

I expect VM's own modem-router to work properly without having to make a financial outlay myself.
Old 29-10-2018, 15:19   #5817
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
5ghz is as cr@p as a cr@p thing in a cr@p situation. The house was rewalled several years ago with an overdose of stainless steel ties and grips. It's like living in a Faraday cage.

I expect VM's own modem-router to work properly without having to make a financial outlay myself.
It does work properly, it is just routers costing £100+ are better, this isn't just for a problem with VMs routers it is for any ISP.

I don't have my own router the Hub3 is fine for my house but if my walls where like yours i would get my own router or extenders if the wifi didn't provide enough coverage.
Old 30-10-2018, 10:39   #5818
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It does work properly, it is just routers costing £100+ are better, this isn't just for a problem with VMs routers it is for any ISP.

I don't have my own router the Hub3 is fine for my house but if my walls where like yours i would get my own router or extenders if the wifi didn't provide enough coverage.
Yeah, even paid for routers aren't all created equal. There's plenty of comparisons on SmallNetBuilder.

I myself opted for one with better range and it was good enough to git rid of any black spots, but other people I know have gone down one of the mesh setups.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 18:39   #5819
Taf
cf.mega poster

The rubbish is appearing mid-afternoon as well now.

And loads of T3's for ages this morning, at one point we lost all connectivity (10am).

Quote:
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) 82000100 No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging opportunities received - T2 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Warning (5) 84020200 Lost MDD Timeout
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) 84000500 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync
VM says "there are no problems in your area".
Old 05-11-2018, 13:34   #5820
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
The rubbish is appearing mid-afternoon as well now.

And loads of T3's for ages this morning, at one point we lost all connectivity (10am).

VM says "there are no problems in your area".
Log it on the forums, you'll get a better response from those staff. Otherwise, ring them when it's happening as they pretty much run a line test and if it comes back ok, they do nothing.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote