Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Sports News may go online or cease 24/7 broadcasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Sports News may go online or cease 24/7 broadcasts.

Old 13-08-2018, 00:39   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Sky Sports News may go online or cease 24/7 broadcasts.

Sky Sports News 24-hour coverage might be ending or it could go online:

https://www.balls.ie/football/sky-sports-news-394630

Falling viewer numbers blamed on the removal of the channel from Freeview!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2018, 01:34   #2
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon
Re: Sky Sports News may go online or cease 24/7 broadcasts.

I was under the impression it was live from 6 in the morning to around 10/11 at night when they showed the same sequence over and over again. Is that not the case? Either way, I only tend to watch on a Saturday during the season for the football scores.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 02:07   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
I was under the impression it was live from 6 in the morning to around 10/11 at night when they showed the same sequence over and over again. Is that not the case? Either way, I only tend to watch on a Saturday during the season for the football scores.
If that's the case, it would seem to be a very cheap channel to run! Can they really not make it pay?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 03:36   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
Yes, I thought that too.

You'd think they'd have the sense to put it back on Freeview where they could promote Sky Sports relentlessly. Isn't Pick +1 on there? It could replace that.
Old 13-08-2018, 09:50   #5
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Sky Sports News 24-hour coverage might be ending or it could go online:

https://www.balls.ie/football/sky-sports-news-394630

Falling viewer numbers blamed on the removal of the channel from Freeview!
It was removed from Freeview 8 years ago. Doesn't seem like a valid argument to me. Maybe it's the rise of 3pm illegal streams or BT's Sport Score broadcast on Twitter for free that's denting their weekend figures?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:47   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
It was removed from Freeview 8 years ago. Doesn't seem like a valid argument to me. Maybe it's the rise of 3pm illegal streams or BT's Sport Score broadcast on Twitter for free that's denting their weekend figures?
Yes, it was a long time ago that it was removed from Freeview wasn't it, so it does seem like a wet excuse.

I believe that they put it on Freeview to get people used to having it and then abruptly pulled it off to encourage people to subscribe to Sky to get it back again. In those day, the main point of the Sky channels was to undermine and weaken the platform, though they now seem to have embraced the advantages of having a few FTA channels in their portfolio.

I was wrong, Pick +1 Isn't on Freeview, but they could get it back on cheaply enough by putting it on Com7/8, by doing a quasi national coverage deal with Comux or even offering their content for nothing as alternative filler to the local TV channels.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewEastaugh View Post
I think the chances of Sky Sports News being completely closed any time soon - just after the start of a new football season - are somewhere below 0.01%.

Heck, even that article doesn't say it could 'be withdrawn', just that they're considering 'moving away from 24-7 broadcasting' - which could just mean being on air from 9am to 11pm (for example) rather than 24hrs a day. And that's they don't just do the other options mentioned (sponsored content / advertising in the ticker), or even just decide there's no problems anyway.
It does say that it may go online, whether that means additional online articles or a complete move over to online streaming for the channel isn't clear. I imagine that it means the latter as I believe it already has an online presence somewhere (I don't know for sure as it's not a channel I watch).