Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Free V6 box

Old 23-01-2018, 13:28   #1
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation
Free V6 box

Not sure if everyone can get it but in MyVirginMedia I was able to upgrade one of my old TiVo boxes to a V6 for no cost, not even the £20 activation charge.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2018, 14:08   #2
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Free V6 box

It does happen..
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 14:30   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
Not sure if everyone can get it but in MyVirginMedia I was able to upgrade one of my old TiVo boxes to a V6 for no cost, not even the £20 activation charge.
They've offered me one free, twice so far. Yet to take them up on the offer but yes they definitely do it.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 14:41   #4
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
They've offered me one free, twice so far. Yet to take them up on the offer but yes they definitely do it.
Why didn't you take it mate, they are a huge improvement on the old TiVo.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 16:08   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Most definitely MM.
Old 23-01-2018, 16:50   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
You should take it up asap before they change their mind!
Old 23-01-2018, 18:00   #7
StopThePigeon
cf.member

StopThePigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

The only reason, not to take a V6, is losing the recordings on the TiVo - nothing, at all, to do with cost.

A few weeks back, there was talk of VM providing a copy function from TiVo to V6, but that seems to have died a death.
StopThePigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:01   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There are no current plans to offer a copy of recordings.

You can already copy Series Link+, Thumbs and recording Wishlist settings between TiVo based boxes.
Old 23-01-2018, 18:11   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopThePigeon View Post
The only reason, not to take a V6, is losing the recordings on the TiVo - nothing, at all, to do with cost.

A few weeks back, there was talk of VM providing a copy function from TiVo to V6, but that seems to have died a death.
The best way to avoid the loss of material you haven't yet seen is to watch as much as possible by the beginning of autumn (there will be less good material to record during the summer, so at this point your list will be a short as it's likely to get.

Next, work out what you can watch in a different way (eg through Virgin Media On Demand, Netflix, Amazon, Now TV, TV Player, etc).

Then watch what you are left with before your new box arrives. Once you have your new V6 installed, start recording on there and in the meantime, catch up with the other stuff you wanted to see before it is taken off the relevant streaming, catch up and on demand services.

That's what I did prior to changing my box and I didn't miss a thing in the end, despite the long list I had!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:14   #10
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I would have thought the easiest way would be to add an extra box (v6) for a month or 2 whilst watching things on old TiVo box - remove the TiVo box when everything watched.

Yes it would cost extra for a month or 2, but would be easier to do.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:15   #11
StopThePigeon
cf.member

StopThePigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

And that is the real blocker, for moving to V6 - paying VM a premium for a very neat PVR service, that is not transferrable, ruins the cost justification of building a collection of recordings. With or without the option of the V6, the need to replace a TiVo box with another TiVo box (performance, disk failure, fatigue, etc.) defeats the point of investing in the product.
StopThePigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:41   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The V6 is TiVo based, which means you can transfer the settings across.

But there has never been an option to transfer the recordings themselves from any type of Virgin Media PVR to another physical box.
Old 23-01-2018, 18:47   #13
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I probably should have and may live to regret it. Reasons at the time were
1. slight suspicion at the offer and wondered if there was a catch
2. recordings I don't really want to lose
3. currently pipe signal to other tv's via scart to rf modulator > rf distributor and would lose that option. Would be trickier to split/send hdmi signal.

but yes, i probably shouldn't have looked a gift horse in the mouth
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 19:42   #14
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There are no current plans to offer a copy of recordings.

You can already copy Series Link+, Thumbs and recording Wishlist settings between TiVo based boxes.
Ben, do VM backup these up regularly over the box broadband connection or do you need to ask the engineer (or a VM rep over the phone if a self install) to do this?

I wouldn't like to lose my settings because I assumed something.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 20:21   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Ben, do VM backup these up regularly over the box broadband connection or do you need to ask the engineer (or a VM rep over the phone if a self install) to do this?

I wouldn't like to lose my settings because I assumed something.
They are backed up to a server automatically, and remain available for two weeks after the box is removed
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote