Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 12-08-2016, 00:23   #211
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We can now reveal the price list.

TiVo A:
-1tb
-6 tuners
-wifi
-Allow streaming to one device
-Cost £99 with a £12p/m charge.

TiVo B:
-2tb
-6 tuners
-Allow you to stream to 4 devices
-wifi
-Cost £199 with £15p/m charge.

Information may change.
Virgin are now calling you a liar saying you info is incorrect how sad are they

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm sure the prices will be better at launch, those seem too high. But we don't know what VM's other charges will be before we can judge properly.
Sadly mediaboys sources are normally really reliable and he wouldn't have printed this unless he was sure there was some stability to it
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2016, 00:25   #212
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'm sure the prices will be better at launch, those seem too high. But we don't know what VM's other charges will be before we can judge properly.
Exactly.

New tv packs/bundles are on the way, so its only once they are known can we properly judge along with the stb costs and tivo charges. And we don't know what the boxes can and cannot do. Ie, does stream to other devices mean I can choose what channels I want on those devices independently, or do they need to be controlled from the "master" stb?

£200 and £15 per month is a lot, but if you only need one box for the whole house, its not. Until we know what the capabilities are, its impossible to judge.

Last edited by Horizon; 12-08-2016 at 00:30.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 00:47   #213
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
As MB said prices are subject to change.
They will launch with these prices, how can they charge this when sky q boxes are free

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Exactly.

New tv packs/bundles are on the way, so its only once they are known can we properly judge along with the stb costs and tivo charges. And we don't know what the boxes can and cannot do. Ie, does stream to other devices mean I can choose what channels I want on those devices independently, or do they need to be controlled from the "master" stb?

£200 and £15 per month is a lot, but if you only need one box for the whole house, its not. Until we know what the capabilities are, its impossible to judge.
Well I can't justify £200 to rent a box, you say it's not a lot of money but if sky q can do it for free then so should virgin
Old 12-08-2016, 00:48   #214
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We can now reveal the price list.

TiVo A:
-1tb
-6 tuners
-wifi
-Allow streaming to one device
-Cost £99 with a £12p/m charge.

TiVo B:
-2tb
-6 tuners
-Allow you to stream to 4 devices
-wifi
-Cost £199 with £15p/m charge.

Information may change.
Those prices seem about right. TiVo A works out at £243 over the 1st year. TiVo B works out at £379 over the 1st year.

I remember when TiVo launched over 5 years ago. It cost new customers £199 for the box, £40 installation then £3 per month... if you where on XL and VIP. I'm sure those on M+ and L packages had to pay £8 per month for their TiVo. That's £275 over the 1st year for XL customers and £335 over the 1st year for those on M+ and L.

Doesn't make the prices for the new boxes look outrageous, or wide of the mark, at all.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 00:52   #215
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
While the packs will affect monthly price of £15 it won't affect £200 install charge or whatever they call it. No matter how it's dressed up sky q say our boxes are free virgin go hey lets charge £200 see what daft customers pay then we will review prices

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Those prices seem about right. TiVo A works out at £243 over the 1st year. TiVo B works out at £379 over the 1st year.

I remember when TiVo launched over 5 years ago. It cost new customers £199 for the box, £40 installation then £3 per month... if you where on XL and VIP. I'm sure those on M+ and L packages had to pay £8 per month for their TiVo. That's £275 over the 1st year for XL customers and £335 over the 1st year for those on M+ and L.

Doesn't make the prices for the new boxes look outrageous, or wide of the mark, at all.
Your totally right but at that time sky used to charge for sky boxes like 2nd sky HD box was £299 but now sky boxes for sky q are free, and virgin want £200 seriously
Old 12-08-2016, 00:54   #216
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
They will launch with these prices, how can they charge this when sky q boxes are free

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Well I can't justify £200 to rent a box, you say it's not a lot of money but if sky q can do it for free then so should virgin
SKY Q is not free they are £99 or £149 if taken with a £42p/m package also i believe you are only renting the SKY Q box.
MM will know more on this.
The vm tivo+ (i'm calling it tivo+) prices are just a guideline based price and are subject to change.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 00:56   #217
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They're not free. They charge a "set up" fee, aka Sky bloke comes round to your house and plugs the new box in.... hardly difficult, so Sky are charging for the box.
Quote:

If the box somehow enabled me to watch services on four tvs at the same time (fat chance, I know) then I think the cost is reasonable. But to stream to 4 phones/ipads is costly. It just depends what the capabilities are.

Regardless, like you, I can't afford the £200 either. There was a time in the dial-up days that my phone bills ran up to £200+ per month. The days when I could spend money like water are long gone, but many do have the cash.

Last edited by Horizon; 12-08-2016 at 01:01.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:02   #218
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
SKY Q is not free they are £99 or £149 if taken with a £42p/m package also i believe you are only renting the SKY Q box.
The vm tivo+ (i'm calling it tivo+) prices are just a guideline based price and are subject to change.
SKY are running with the following offer for Virgin and BT customers:

"Switch to Sky Q or Sky Q Silver and you’ll get 20% off for 12 months. Enjoy over 350 Box Sets on demand, plus add sports or movies at 20% off for 12 months. What’s more, our install cost is just £10 (usually £99).

Equipment
Sky Q Silver No cost
Sky Q Mini No cost"

I'm sure new SKY customers, not switching from BT or Virgin, also get both boxes free with just a £10 install cost and can choose from a free 32” LG TV, £100 prepaid Mastercard or £100 Amazon gift card. I think it's the existing SKY customers who have to pay for the Sky Q boxes.

Good deals out there if your out of contact and thinking about switching. Not so good if your an existing customer of SKY or Virgin looking to get the latest tech

Last edited by Chad; 12-08-2016 at 01:06.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:04   #219
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
SKY are running with the following offer for Virgin and BT customers:

"Switch to Sky Q or Sky Q Silver and you’ll get 20% off for 12 months. Enjoy over 350 Box Sets on demand, plus add sports or movies at 20% off for 12 months. What’s more, our install cost is just £10 (usually £99).

Equipment
Sky Q Silver No cost
Sky Q Mini No cost"

I'm sure new SKY customers also get both boxes free with just a £10 install cost. I think it's the existing SKY customers who have to pay for the Sky Q boxes.
I'm tempted by this myself going to check this out thanks for info, despite me hating SKY this is certainly tempting me back to them for tv.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:05   #220
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
Sadly now they are free now on the silver bundle look
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1696.PNG (253.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:07   #221
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
I'm tempted by this myself going to check this out thanks for info, despite me hating SKY this is certainly tempting me back to them for tv.
Virgin have messed this one up badly
Old 12-08-2016, 01:10   #222
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Here's the link mate:

http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/sky-q/new/
Old 12-08-2016, 01:17   #223
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
thanks mate bookmarked this will look properly tomorrow when the magnas cider has worn off lol.

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

Quote:
Sadly now they are free now on the silver bundle look
Still a lot of money for tv though tbf.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:24   #224
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
thanks mate bookmarked this will look properly tomorrow when the magnas cider has worn off lol.

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

Still a lot of money for tv though tbf.
I do agree but defo cheaper than the expensive virgin media
Old 12-08-2016, 01:29   #225
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

And if you're not bothered about Sky Q and are happy with a normal HD box, the 50% off for 12 months is still available - just google sky 50 off.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote