Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 12:24   #1561
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

This might be a really silly question so apologies (I am relatively new to Virgin)... however, If I wanted to put a second V6 box in my bedroom, will I need to have a cable junction there or can I run the V6 box just over WiFi using the master one in the living room? In other words will it work in the same way as Sky Q/Sky Mini? I don't suppose there's anyway to cast the TV Anywhere app to my TV in the bedroom using my Roku?
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 12:33   #1562
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
TO be fair on VM, I've only had 1 Tivo box fail, my V+HD and VHD boxes have all worked faultlessly. The only niggle I have is the speed of the Tivo, but that's for everyone.

Hopefully V6 is just as reliable.
I never hardly had any boxes fail originally.

I was always an early adopter and got brand new boxes which lasted years.

like ive got 3x TiVo boxes at the moment, 2 are the exact same boxes I have had since 2012.

But end of last year the one in lounge failed, it was replaced via self install. it was a refurb box.

It lasted 6 months then hard drive failed in it, VM refused to send me another self install because they implied it was suspicious it hadn't lasted long.

They came out, found nothing suspicious and replaced it... and ever since this new box also has an iffy hard drive, it keeps clicking away. so just expecting 1 day to wake up and find it dead then go through the arguments again about whether its a dud refurb box or if its something they think ive done.

But the V+ boxes, I had the silver original one from day 1 and still have it boxed up as it was replaced. and the 2nd black one I took failed once and was replaced by TiVo early on after TiVo launch as an upsell.

Just have never had issues with new boxes really, but this TiVo box im now on number 3 and its iffy... only thing is the last 2 have been refurbs rather than new.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:33   #1563
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
This might be a really silly question so apologies (I am relatively new to Virgin)... however, If I wanted to put a second V6 box in my bedroom, will I need to have a cable junction there or can I run the V6 box just over WiFi using the master one in the living room? In other words will it work in the same way as Sky Q/Sky Mini? I don't suppose there's anyway to cast the TV Anywhere app to my TV in the bedroom using my Roku?
The V6 will still require a coax connection.
Old 30-11-2016, 12:35   #1564
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The V6 will still require a coax connection.
Poop.....
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:39   #1565
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
Poop.....
Plus you also need internet, wi-fi or otherwise because it is not built in like the old box.
Old 30-11-2016, 12:39   #1566
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well l am pretty sure if Virgin could have got it they would of UC.
Probabaly haven't been refused, don't think they are allowed to refuse under competition rules.

However, what they probabaly do is set the price at a sufficiently high enough price that VM say that it doesn't offer good value for the subscriber.

Remember years ago when there was the debacle with Sky One? and VM lost it because they was unwilling to pay the price hike?
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:45   #1567
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

And Sky and BT know by setting those high carriage prices for high end niche products no company with decent business sense is going to pay those extortionate carriage rates as l certainly would not.

Sky came unstuck over the Sky Basics debacle as it hit them just as much as it hit Virgin.
Old 30-11-2016, 12:54   #1568
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveSheep View Post
Surely most 4K TV's have Netflix and Youtube built in so what's the point of 4K on V6 if it's not for Sky Cinema, Sky Sports and/or BT Sports?
It will make things more convenient and tidier.

Quote:
All l can see regarding the pricing is apparently on Virgin's website.
(£54.99 fees).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofrok View Post
Storage The Virgin TV V6 box comes with 1TB of storage allowing 500 hours of SD recordings or 100 hours of HD recordings. Every additional Virgin TV V6 box installed will add another 1TB to the overall storage in the home and the ability to record six more programmes simultaneously.

Pricing

Pricing for the Virgin TV V6 box is simple, transparent and will not incur additional monthly subscription fees.

The new state of the art box will be available to existing customers on a Mix bundle or higher, before the end of the year. Existing customers will not need to change package to benefit.
Looks to be some confusion over what this will cost.

As it looks like there is only one size, 1TB, unless you record a lot at once, have a 4K TV or want to stream things around the house, I can see many sticking with their old TiVo for now (especially since the speed issue has improved).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:59   #1569
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Services: Full House XL,Gamer 200MB Sky Q Silver.
albertsteptoe is on a distinguished roadalbertsteptoe is on a distinguished road

Hello all. just a quick question about new box, no scart socket, so dose that mean I wont be able to burn my fav shows on to disc, this is why I came back to virgin for the TiVo box, I have sky q silver but cant record onto disc with that.
albertsteptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:59   #1570
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It will make things more convenient and tidier.

(£54.99 fees).

As it looks like there is only one size, 1TB, unless you record a lot at once, have a 4K TV or want to stream things around the house, I can see many sticking with their old TiVo for now (especially since the speed issue has improved).
Or switch to Sky, if they are fed up with the old box (which is still excruciatingly slow despite the latest attempt to fix it) and the new "state of the art game changer" does not provide what they were hoping for.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:00   #1571
anap
Inactive

Services: VIP with extra box (2 V6's & a TiVo)
anap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I don't know where you got that from. Mine certainly hasn't.
anap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:02   #1572
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Yeah, but people do still have TVs in other rooms and putting a whole TiVo in there is overkill. Even TiVo moved away from that model several years ago.
I don't disagree, all I was suggesting is that the VM approach to multi room seems to be more aimed at 3rd party devices/Telly Tablet as opposed to mini tivos. Personally I wouldn't be against satellite tivos as I've got 3 TVs in every room that I want one.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote:

Cost seemed pretty clear to me either £50 or £100 one off cost with no monthly cost.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:03   #1573
DiveSheep

Quote:
Well l am pretty sure if Virgin could have got it they would of UC.
David Bouchier said "We would quite happily put the 4K football matches on if we felt that this was something that our customers were saying."
Implying that VM can provide it but have chosen not to for the time being. If the demand is there, perhaps they'll look to do a deal - if they haven't already. Therefore, some of us are simply voicing that we would like to see it as an option.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:05   #1574
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And Sky and BT know by setting those high carriage prices for high end niche products no company with decent business sense is going to pay those extortionate carriage rates as l certainly would not.
Releasing a 4K compatible box with no 4K apart from YouTube and Netflix when is available is ridiculous not to mention that they're expecting people to pay up to £99 for the privilege, I paid a premium for my sky Q silver box because I knew I could get 4K on it how can virgin justify charging £99 for an inferior product. Why can`t virgin use the fees from customers who want the V6 and put that towards the cost of carrying the sky`s 4K content.

If it available to virgin at a cost they should be doing everything to get it sooner rather than later

Last edited by jcm193; 30-11-2016 at 13:13.
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:12   #1575
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
It must surely be aimed at people who don't already have a handheld device or multiple TVs. I guess it's a way to combat the satellite SKY Q boxes but making it even more flexible. WIth Sky Q you need to have a telly set up....this thing could go into any room. Ideal for occasional 2nd TV viewing.

But for those with tablets already they may be just as happy to use those. But it does give options to those not wanting to invest in a permanent 2nd TV I guess. But price is very important with this.
I won't be buying one at £299!

As the VM Telly Tablet is Android though, perhaps this means that those of us with Android tablets will now be able to stream from the box and use TV Anywhere??

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anap View Post
I don't know where you got that from. Mine certainly hasn't.
Only from posts on here, AIUI, the new update hasn't been rolled out everywhere yet.

More information here:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/s...php?t=33703976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Cost seemed pretty clear to me either £50 or £100 one off cost with no monthly cost.
The VM website has been (and still is) saying one off fees of £54.99.

Worth pointing out that there is no extra monthly cost, the usual TiVo monthly fee will still apply.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 30-11-2016 at 13:32.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote