Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HELP???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

HELP???

Old 03-09-2013, 14:34   #1
doityourself34
Inactive

doityourself34 is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP???

Hi, i currently have sky multi room in the bedroom but when the engineer installed it he did not provide enough length in the cable, that runs from the main phone line box downstairs, so it cannot be moved to a different location.
I'm looking to extend that white cable. There is also a connector attached to the cable before the phone connector goes into the back of my sky box. Does any one no what that is? It appears to be part of the extension. :/
i will try to upload a photo. (to show u what im on about.)
I will greatly appreciate any help with this.

Also does anyone know where i can get this cable from?

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sky mutli.jpg (492.7 KB, 25 views)
doityourself34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2013, 14:40   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: HELP???

If it's the phone line connected between the Sky box and your phone socket that you're concerned about, any phone line extension will do the job.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

It looks like you have one of these in use already, all you need is a longer one, or else add another one into the cable run that's already there.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/5m-telephone...ual-outlet-921
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 14:54   #3
doityourself34
Inactive

doityourself34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know if i can just attach the phone cable to the wires and take that box off? Do i not need the box in the photo???

Also can i take off the plugs?
Is there somewhere i can get the cable without the plugs attatched already?
doityourself34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 15:00   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If you were competent to splice the two cables together and eliminate the connector, then yes, that would work, but why bother? It's quicker to just bung in a phone line extension of the appropriate length. Better still, buy yourself a long length of phone line and replace the entire Sky installation. If you're careful you can remove the cable clips from your skirting boards and re-use them all in the same holes. You end up with a single cable of the right length with no splicing or bare wire ends in the middle.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:57   #5
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Do you have one of the newer Sky box's? I believe that as long as its connected to the internet you can do away with having to use the phone line cable. Saw something about this recently but don't quote me on it. Maybe someone else can clarify it.

Wilkinson's tend to have a section for all these type of extension cables, saw the ones for extending the double sky box connections today.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:22   #6
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Do you have one of the newer Sky box's? I believe that as long as its connected to the internet you can do away with having to use the phone line cable. Saw something about this recently but don't quote me on it. Maybe someone else can clarify it.

Wilkinson's tend to have a section for all these type of extension cables, saw the ones for extending the double sky box connections today.
Indeed it is true.

I had wi-fi box's fitted to both my box's and the installer said that I didn't need the phone lines anymore.
Old 04-09-2013, 14:38   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Indeed it is true.

I had wi-fi box's fitted to both my box's and the installer said that I didn't need the phone lines anymore.
He's told you wrong , houses with 1 box no longer require the box to be connected to a landline this is not the case however for multiroom households they still currently require the boxes connected to your landline.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:42   #8
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
He's told you wrong , houses with 1 box no longer require the box to be connected to a landline this is not the case however for multiroom households they still currently require the boxes connected to your landline.
Well both my boxes no longer have a phone line connected to them, so one of them is working by magic!
Old 04-09-2013, 14:50   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well both my boxes no longer have a phone line connected to them, so one of them is working by magic!
It will still work , however my point still stands multiroom sub's are still required currently to have their STB's connected to a working landline. I'm not saying your wrong in what you've done as it's clearly the installer who's advised wrong. The landline is required to do periodic callbacks to prove that your boxes are both connected to your landline registered at your address.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote