Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview / Freesat from SKY

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Freeview / Freesat from SKY

Old 26-08-2013, 15:54   #1
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Freeview / Freesat from SKY

I have SKY+HD in my living room and just SKY HD in my bedroom. I have 4 separate feeds coming from my dish. 2 feeds to the box in the living room, and 1 to my bedroom. This means I have 1 feed free.

My parents gave me their old white Thompson SKY+ box. I've hooked it up in another room using the spare feed. If has an old blue viewing card that must be about 7 years old! The box still records and I can pick up about 85% of Freeview channels and a whole host more however I'm missing things like Dave, Yesterday and DMAX.

I understand that SKY offer a Freesat card. Any idea how much this is? Also would replacing the card disable the recording functions of the old SKY+ box I have? I'm finding some of the information online to be a little conflicting and confusing.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2013, 16:16   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freeview / Freesat from SKY

We paid to replace our blue Sky card a couple of years ago when they replaced them with the white ones. It was somewhere between £10 and £20, IIRC. We had to pay for it because we were using the box in FreesatFromSky mode with no Sky subscription at all. AFAIK the card is paired with the box so you have to buy it from Sky, you can't just get one off eBay.

Because Sky Multiroom charges an extra subscription for every additional box, you won't get your old box working for free. AFAIK they will treat it as a FSFS box and you will have to buy the viewing card.

Also, Sky still charges for the recording feature to work, I think there is a risk that your box may lose its recording functionality, or at the very least lose the ability to record channels that are free-to-view but not free-to-air.

And another thing ... Dave is not free to air or free to view on satellite. You can only get it in a Sky subscriber channel pack. Stupid, I know, seeing as it's on Freeview, but I think Sky are paying them to keep it locked down to try to limit the appeal of 'proper' Freesat.

And finally ... ditch the old Sky box and get a proper Freesat PVR. All the free channels on FSFS worth having are on Freesat, plus you get an EPG that only contains the channels you can watch. No more tripping over blue screens with 'to upgrade to this channel...' on them. That was the thing that annoyed me most about FSFS and one of the reasons we eventually ditched it and bought an Echostar Freesat PVR.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 21:46   #3
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

I have a old sky hd + box ( approx 4 year old with blue sky card)
I recently hooked it all up and all ok as a freeview box.
I can get itv HD and channel 4 HD, but not bbc HD.
I thought this would be available without subscription on the sky box.?
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 21:56   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

BBC HD has closed down and has been replaced with BBC Two HD. I'm guessing your Sky box needs some sort of 'hit' in order to detect that. You won't be able to get that hit from Sky with the blue card, you will need the new white one.
Old 27-08-2013, 22:08   #5
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

From http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/

Quote:
I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?
All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £25. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.
chris9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 22:27   #6
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
BBC HD has closed down and has been replaced with BBC Two HD. I'm guessing your Sky box needs some sort of 'hit' in order to detect that. You won't be able to get that hit from Sky with the blue card, you will need the new white one.
Thanks Chris.
I meant to say BBC 1 HD is not available on the old blue card.
Old 27-08-2013, 22:39   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It could be the same reason - BBC services have switched to a different sat in the last couple of years, your box may not be able to tune to them without the information that would be on the new card. Sky stores regionalisation in the card, not the box - this might also have something to do with it.
Old 27-08-2013, 22:41   #8
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It could be the same reason - BBC services have switched to a different sat in the last couple of years, your box may not be able to tune to them without the information that would be on the new card. Sky stores regionalisation in the card, not the box - this might also have something to do with it.
Ok Chris. Understand.