Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

router

Old 15-03-2005, 20:34   #1
gordon2003
Inactive

gordon2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
router

I have just had the ntl 250 modem installed. Can anyone tell me if I can join two computers two the 250 modem. Using the usb connection and the ethernet connection.
gordon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2005, 20:46   #2
gary_580

Re: router

There are ADSL modems around that have both an ethernet and USB port on them. In these modems there is NAT to allow two connections to be made.

Im not sure if the NTL modem is the same but its got to be worth a try
Old 15-03-2005, 21:07   #3
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2003
I have just had the ntl 250 modem installed. Can anyone tell me if I can join two computers two the 250 modem. Using the usb connection and the ethernet connection.
Firstly ,

I am sure the new "250" is the same as the others, you can only use one connection on the modem.

You can connect one PC to the modem and then to the other PCs via an Ethernet hub or crossover connection, but the best solution is to purchase a router. There are lots of guides on the net (I can't find the one on this site at the mo...). Technical details and further links here

Cable Modem Bible
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 21:15   #4
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

alternative you can sign up with ntl's xbox package (www.ntlworld.com/xbox) for £2 a month.

this will give you two ip addresses, so you can connect two computers at the same time.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2005, 23:15   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

A recommended router.... Linksys BEFSR41, £30.36 at Amazon.co.uk - very easy to set-up, easy to use, & cheaper (in the long run) than paying ntl an extra £2/month (plus set-up fee) for their 2 IP "console service".
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2005, 23:48   #6
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D

A recommended router.... Linksys BEFSR41, £30.36 at Amazon.co.uk - very easy to set-up, easy to use, & cheaper (in the long run) than paying ntl an extra £2/month (plus set-up fee) for their 2 IP "console service".
I will vote for that, too

well only because I've got one & it, just, works