Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 31-05-2018, 19:07   #451
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Well yes - its connected - but is respect on BBC iPlayer it is not the BBC connected service. In fact there isn't really a BBC iPlayer, it is just a BBC section for downloading,

The Planet Earth UHD was a download - but it had no signalling to enable HDR or HLG.

To stream live HLG for the World Cup on iPlayer requires two big steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky Q is a connected box it just doesn't have the version of iPlayer that smart TV's have , it uses progressive download as opposed to streaming.

Other apps on Sky Q use streaming such as YouTube , Vevo , Red Bull TV and the forthcoming Netflix service as well as the sidebar apps.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2018, 19:14   #452
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky Q is a connected box it just doesn't have the version of iPlayer that smart TV's have , it uses progressive download as opposed to streaming.

Other apps on Sky Q use streaming such as YouTube , Vevo , Red Bull TV and the forthcoming Netflix service as well as the sidebar apps.
That's a great shame in my opinion. Sky Q customers are disadvantaged by this. Hopefully, Sky will relent and rectify this soon - it surely camnot be difficult to achieve this.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 19:15   #453
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's a great shame in my opinion. Sky Q customers are disadvantaged by this. Hopefully, Sky will relent and rectify this soon - it surely camnot be difficult to achieve this.
I'm sorry but how are they disadvantaged ?

I get all the same content you do , if its a boxset subsequent episodes are queued up and ready.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 19:24   #454
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm sorry but how are they disadvantaged ?

I get all the same content you do , if its a boxset subsequent episodes are queued up and ready.
They are disadvantaged because they still have to download content and cannot access the streaming service. That's all I meant.
Old 31-05-2018, 19:28   #455
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It's the same content though , maybe it's just me but deleting something doesn't seem that taxing neither does waiting the 5-10 seconds or so for it to become available to view. I've also had some shows downloaded that have allowed me to watch when the shows availability has left the streaming version of iPlayer.

I have the online version of IPlayer available on my TV and numerous devices but still prefer to use the Q box.
Old 31-05-2018, 19:33   #456
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's the same content though , maybe it's just me but deleting something doesn't seem that taxing neither does waiting the 5-10 seconds or so for it to become available to view. I've also had some shows downloaded that have allowed me to watch when the shows availability has left the streaming version of iPlayer.

I have the online version of IPlayer available on my TV and numerous devices but still prefer to use the Q box.
Yes, I am sure that this does not concern some subscribers at all, but personally, I would find that annoying.
Old 31-05-2018, 19:49   #457
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I have to delete recordings I've made so no difference really , as I say purely personal preference but I like all my catch up being under one menu system and without the need to open apps up.
Old 31-05-2018, 19:50   #458
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Each to their own l say....
Old 31-05-2018, 19:51   #459
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Each to their own l say....
Completely agree Den the beauty of choice , no one system suits all both have pros and cons.
Old 31-05-2018, 20:06   #460
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They are disadvantaged because they still have to download content and cannot access the streaming service. That's all I meant.
I think that is an advantage not a disadvantage.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 20:23   #461
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Streaming services tend to 'buffer', downloads don't.

If everyone is trying to stream this UHD at the same time, there might be issues. Stick with Freeview, it's usually 10 seconds ahead of Sky/VM anyway.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 23:13   #462
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Streaming services tend to 'buffer', downloads don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
That’s true on the TiVo. I found the I-Player to be virtually impossible to watch on that. No such problem on the V6 and my 200MB broadband.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:20   #463
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

How can you watch live football if the match is not available to stream but is on a download?

For old programmes downloads are likely to be better but are not available instantly - but some on SkyQ find the programme can take a long time to be viewable. It will not let you watch it until it is sure it can download the whole programme before you catch up with its 'reached so far' point in the download.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

Last edited by ozsat; 01-06-2018 at 05:25.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:10   #464
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
How can you watch live football if the match is not available to stream but is on a download?

For old programmes downloads are likely to be better but are not available instantly - but some on SkyQ find the programme can take a long time to be viewable. It will not let you watch it until it is sure it can download the whole programme before you catch up with its 'reached so far' point in the download.
Over the past month I have downloaded a large number of programmes - without fail they have been viewable within a short period of time (a minute or 2)

Have I been lucky then?

Or maybe those having that problem have a low broadband speed - you normally get what you pay for!
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:12   #465
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Strange comment, but as long as you're happy.....