Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Sky broadband be enough?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Will Sky broadband be enough?

Old 02-12-2020, 09:14   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Will Sky broadband be enough?

I am currently on 200mb with VM and am looking to change to Sky for TV. 200mb is far too much for what I use the internet for but, bizarrely, it costs more to reduce it!

The minimum that Sky offer for BB costs £14 per month and these are the details:

Sky Broadband Essential
Your speeds (Mb/s)

6.9-13
estimated download

5.1 minimum guaranteed speed

0.7-1 upload speed

Would this be enough for surfing the internet, sending emails etc and watching YouTube?

They do offer a faster service for £18 per month:

Sky Broadband Superfast
Your speeds (Mb/s)

32-37
estimated download

27 minimum guaranteed speed

6.6-9.5 upload speed
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2020, 09:37   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Will Sky broadband be enough?

Yes
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:08   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

You will need a BT line for Sky (don't you??) If you don't have that already is there still a line rental to them as well?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:43   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
You will need a BT line for Sky (don't you??) If you don't have that already is there still a line rental to them as well?
Incorrect. Sky will get Openreach to install the line. Rental is included in broadband contract cost.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 13:07   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I wouldn't go for the cheapest with only an upload of 0.7-1mbit!
Old 02-12-2020, 13:17   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I wouldn't go for the cheapest with only an upload of 0.7-1mbit!
The upload is enough for what Richards says he wishes to do.
Old 02-12-2020, 13:22   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The upload is enough for what Richards says he wishes to do.
Good luck with that, when my parents had that speed the internet was useless if more than 2-3 people wanted to browse.
Old 02-12-2020, 14:25   #8
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Good luck with that, when my parents had that speed the internet was useless if more than 2-3 people wanted to browse.
Until June I was stuck with ADSL with download of 13Mb/s, and upload of 0.8.

It coped remarkably well with 2 teenage daughters home schooling, me working from home, and the other half on Facebook.
Then in the evenings lots of YouTube, TikTok and other streaming.

Only real issue for me working was the upload speed publishing up software changes to our the servers at work.

If your parents connection was useless if 3 people were merely browsing it would point to other issues possibly?
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 14:51   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
But he only needs it for himself for browsing, emails and you tube. Why pay for what you don't need?
Old 02-12-2020, 15:50   #10
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

If you're getting Sky TV I'd recommend a faster speed as On Demand is mostly downloaded to the set top box, rather than streamed. Even though you don't need to have downloaded the whole programme before you can start watching, it's not instaneous playback. However, I thought you'd just renewed your contract with VM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The thing is I am now in a 17 month contract. I'll be happy to honour this and possibly stay even longer, but it's now being said that all customers will have to go onto the 360 when the VM contract with TiVo ends. If this is during the next 17 months i'll have to get legal advice to see if I can get out of the contract by claiming that this amounts to a significant material change to what I signed up for, if this doesn't work i'll look into the consequences of cancelling the direct debit, breaching my contract and moving to Sky Q, but I doubt it will come to this tbh.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 17:52   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
If you're getting Sky TV I'd recommend a faster speed as On Demand is mostly downloaded to the set top box, rather than streamed. Even though you don't need to have downloaded the whole programme before you can start watching, it's not instaneous playback. However, I thought you'd just renewed your contract with VM?
Thanks for the advice everybody. I am in contract with VM, but am researching alternatives for when this expires or they try to force me onto the V360 software. I've been advised that this should count as a change significant enough to warrant my entitlement to cease the TV contract early.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:02   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Always keeping the legal teams busy, I hope its all free.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:10   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Always keeping the legal teams busy, I hope its all free.
Completely free.

There's a package that Sky don't tend to publicise that much called 'Sky Essentials'. It has the ADSL BB, free landline and mobile calls and Sky+ for the free channels. It's £26 per month, guaranteed not to rise for 3 years, with an 18 month contract.

I think that's very reasonable indeed, however, from what I can gather it only has two tuners and a 500g hard drive.

I suppose I could source my own 1 or 2 TB box and have the card re-paired. How easy is it to replace the HDD with a bigger one and how much would a 2TB HDD cost?

I've been told that this minimum broadband can be slow at loading things and things like the iPlayer can buffer. Does anyone know if I can try out Sky Essentials & upgrade to Sky Q if it doesn't meet my needs whilst still in the minimum 18 month contract?
Old 03-12-2020, 07:25   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Two tuners is perfectly fine.

You can watch one thing while recording something else at the same time, or just record two things at the same time.

Loads of tuners is over rated IMO, you really dont need 6/8/10/whatever.

Replacing the HDD is possible, but will void the warrenty.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:13   #15
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

So basically they're palming off one of their old technology Sky+ boxes on to the unsuspecting by bundling it with an unlimited old technology internet connection and a call package. You'll no doubt find the box will have less channels than a standard freesat box. There is no Sky TV package included in the £26/month and to add insult to injury, you'll probably have the added frustration of the full Sky EPG with everything but the few freeview channels greyed out.

So if you jump ship and it turns out to be rubbish you can't say you haven't been warned!
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote