Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Election 2019 - Week 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Election 2019 - Week 2
View Poll Results: Your voting intention at this stage of the campaign:
Labour 7 15.91%
Conservative 22 50.00%
Lib Dem 5 11.36%
UKIP 0 0%
Brexit 2 4.55%
Green 1 2.27%
Change UK 0 0%
Plaid Cymru 0 0%
SNP 1 2.27%
Irish nationalist 1 2.27%
Irish unionist 0 0%
Other 2 4.55%
Abstaining 1 2.27%
Ineligible 0 0%
Undecided 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2019, 13:24   #166
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Election 2019 - Week 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
He’s only a millionaire if you take into account his pension fund (he has been an MP for 36 years), and his house (which he has lived in for over 35 years, and terraced house prices in Islington have increased 10 fold in the last 25 years).

Your basically knocking someone for being in the same job and house for over 30 years, and circumstances beyond his control inflating the value of his house and pension.

My house value, savings, and various pension funds add up to just over a million pounds, but strangely enough, I don’t feel like a millionaire...
He hasn't earned any of it by "real" work or living in the real world. Getting into a safe Labour seat and that was pretty much it. He and a lot in Labour, don't understand how businesses have to operate. They don't understand how to create revenue and limits costs. To them, money is just handed to them on a plate, with no consequences.

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You've moved from one ridiculous extreme to another as opposed to the much more likely reality that it's a reflection of a culture throughout the organisation. People at the top giving instructions, targets, etc to those in the middle who in turn pass those down the food chain.
Having targets and aims do not suggest falsifying documents. Without targets and commissions, people would simply sit on their backsides doing nothing and still earn money. The top people wouldn't want to lose money from those falsified documents, would they? In the short term, they might benefit, but it soon unravels. Just as Government overspending and borrowing does.
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2019, 13:58   #167
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The banks/the banking system. It’s once and the same. Financial speculators creaming off profits from gambles year in year out then walking away when it all goes wrong.

The taxpayer (ironically) foots the bill having suffered the inflationary effects of the loans being issued in ten first place!
You seem to conveniently overlook that investors lost out too, big time. The banking crisis affected most people, one way or another.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
Thanks for proving my point.

Privatise the profits and nationalise the losses. These companies position themselves as “too big to fail” thus the state has to step in. As with failed train operators.
Yeah, the communists of past regimes thought that, too. It didn't help the poor. Instead, it impoverished everyone. And investors ran a mile, so there was little money coming in.

Not one of your better ideas, jfman.
Old 18-11-2019, 14:56   #168
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
He hasn't earned any of it by "real" work or living in the real world. Getting into a safe Labour seat and that was pretty much it. He and a lot in Labour, don't understand how businesses have to operate. They don't understand how to create revenue and limits costs. To them, money is just handed to them on a plate, with no consequences.
Just amend "Labour" to "Labour and Conservative" to be accurate.
Old 18-11-2019, 15:31   #169
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You seem to conveniently overlook that investors lost out too, big time. The banking crisis affected most people, one way or another.
If I lose money on the 4.40 at Cheltenham because I went for a 100/1 shot would you have sympathy for me for being fast and loose with my cash?
Quote:
Yeah, the communists of past regimes thought that, too. It didn't help the poor. Instead, it impoverished everyone. And investors ran a mile, so there was little money coming in.

Not one of your better ideas, jfman.
Unsure of what you refer to, and nobody is advocating communism so I dismiss your point as irrelevant.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Quote:
Having targets and aims do not suggest falsifying documents. Without targets and commissions, people would simply sit on their backsides doing nothing and still earn money. The top people wouldn't want to lose money from those falsified documents, would they? In the short term, they might benefit, but it soon unravels. Just as Government overspending and borrowing does.
Having no robust quality assurance checks or auditing to pick up on such falsification supports that the steer is to get results at all costs and push the spreadsheet values up. Shareholder value goes up and those who move at the right time can make a fortune.
Old 18-11-2019, 15:37   #170
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
If I lose money on the 4.40 at Cheltenham because I went for a 100/1 shot would you have sympathy for me for being fast and loose with my cash?

Unsure of what you refer to, and nobody is advocating communism so I dismiss your point as irrelevant.
On your first point, investors are investing as part of their job, and it is just as well that they do. You are preaching the politics of envy, because they can personally make a lot of money out of it. They can lose it all, as well.

As for your second point, it sounded pretty Communistic to me. What politics do you call it, then? Just where do you draw the line with these left-wing views you've been expressing?
Old 18-11-2019, 15:38   #171
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Having no robust quality assurance checks or auditing to pick up on such falsification supports that the steer is to get results at all costs and push the spreadsheet values up. Shareholder value goes up and those who move at the right time can make a fortune.
Still people at the bottom end of things originating the fraud.
Old 18-11-2019, 15:41   #172
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Still people at the bottom end of things originating the fraud.
I'm pretty sure lads at the bottom didn't buy ABM-AMRO.

Anyway you'll never see the light so I'm moving on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50454627

But... But... This will harm business???
Old 18-11-2019, 17:06   #173
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Interesting that BoJo has cancelled the reduction in Corporation Tax as it would cost £6bn.

Seems that he's won the argument over the less economically-literate members of his MPs who kidded themselves that it would raise more revenue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50454627
Old 18-11-2019, 17:55   #174
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
And the UK is the only EU country with medicine shortages?

List of links by EU country.
Ireland(because it's in English).
As the Ireland list says repeatedly, "(multiple countries affected)". Appears to be a list of 180 drugs with a shortage. (did a text search in the page for "date of shortage", it appears 181 times, subtract one for the table header).

Did a similar type of check for France. It appears to have around 170 on their list. ("med.gif" appears 174 times in page source).[COLOR=Silver]
Yep, there are always hiccups in manufacturing and distribution and it does go to show how delicate the supply chains are in the pharmaceutical world.

If people are really interested, there are weekly updates on what drugs are currently banned from export from the UK due to shortages and internal needs. Here's the current list - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...uk.csv/preview

Note that the list seems short as generic names are used and all presentations are kept together where appropriate

Seems to be a lot of contraceptive pills on there!

If you get caught exporting when you shouldn't, a world of pain will be coming to that exporter...
Old 18-11-2019, 18:02   #175
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Conservative is my choice at this stage unless it looks like the Brexit candidate has a better chance of ousting the Labour MP.

We have had 101 years of Labour here, even tough the gap has been closing there's little hope of getting rid of the Labour MP in my lifetime. Every election they vote for Labour because their father, grandfather and great grandfather voted Labour, then they spend the next 4-5 years complaining about Labour!

We have very strong left wing Momentum support here who keep reminding the uneducated that the Conservatives closed all the mines. I engaged one on social media about mines in the Rhondda, his reply was "We all know the Conservatives closed most of the mines". He provided a Wiki link, it took me all of 10 minutes to work out that since WW2 the scores for mine closures were 7 for the Conservatives and 12 for Labour. The left wing extremists hate facts and just get brave hurling abuse from their keyboards.
Old 18-11-2019, 18:12   #176
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
Conservative is my choice at this stage unless it looks like the Brexit candidate has a better chance of ousting the Labour MP.

We have had 101 years of Labour here, even tough the gap has been closing there's little hope of getting rid of the Labour MP in my lifetime. Every election they vote for Labour because their father, grandfather and great grandfather voted Labour, then they spend the next 4-5 years complaining about Labour!

We have very strong left wing Momentum support here who keep reminding the uneducated that the Conservatives closed all the mines. I engaged one on social media about mines in the Rhondda, his reply was "We all know the Conservatives closed most of the mines". He provided a Wiki link, it took me all of 10 minutes to work out that since WW2 the scores for mine closures were 7 for the Conservatives and 12 for Labour. The left wing extremists hate facts and just get brave hurling abuse from their keyboards.
Interesting notion you’ve brought up here, because I floated in the Brexit thread it was impossible for 33 million people to make fully informed choices. Yet I was shot down.

Further, assuming this holds do mothers vote Conservative? As we’d a Conservative Government from 1979-1997 (22 to 40 year olds) a lot of people’s dads must have voted Conservative. Do their children do the same, because they are equally wealthy and privileged? Or are they “too clever (enough to not die in a fire at least) and they always make informed choices?
Old 18-11-2019, 18:25   #177
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

This Mirror article tends to disagree with you.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...closed-1844712

Quote:
During Harold Wilson’s government more mines were closed than under Thatcher. But our closures had been agreed with the union and the National Coal Board on the basis that those mines didn’t have enough coal left or were genuinely economically unviable.

If you add up the figures from 1947 to 1997 you see the real picture??– 345 pits were closed under Labour governments but 597 went under the Tories.

A total of 235,000 mining jobs were lost under Labour but 458,000 under the Conservatives.
It is the jobs lost not the mines closed that is the important metric. You may have small mines that employ a small number of mines for example.

If you are claiming facts, it is very useful to cite your sources. I am afraid "Google is my source" is not good enough
Old 18-11-2019, 18:29   #178
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Interesting notion you’ve brought up here, because I floated in the Brexit thread it was impossible for 33 million people to make fully informed choices. Yet I was shot down.

Further, assuming this holds do mothers vote Conservative? As we’d a Conservative Government from 1979-1997 (22 to 40 year olds) a lot of people’s dads must have voted Conservative. Do their children do the same, because they are equally wealthy and privileged? Or are they “too clever (enough to not die in a fire at least) and they always make informed choices?
My area voted around 60% leave even though we benefit from the EU. People tend to feel the money has been wasted on vanity projects instead of being spent on projects to help lift people out of poverty. Labour around here love grants from anywhere they can get them and for what ever excuse they can find.

I'm sure the mothers have also been voting Labour, and if we keep the children poor they will most likely continue the trend.
Old 18-11-2019, 18:34   #179
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
My area voted around 60% leave even though we benefit from the EU. People tend to feel the money has been wasted on vanity projects instead of being spent on projects to help lift people out of poverty. Labour around here love grants from anywhere they can get them and for what ever excuse they can find.

I'm sure the mothers have also been voting Labour, and if we keep the children poor they will most likely continue the trend.
You can be sure any money saved from Brexit won't be heading to the Regions. It'll stay in the richest corner of the country. I'm afraid you've been misled. The EU was your safety net.
Old 18-11-2019, 18:50   #180
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
This Mirror article tends to disagree with you.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...closed-1844712

It is the jobs lost not the mines closed that is the important metric. You may have small mines that employ a small number of mines for example.

If you are claiming facts, it is very useful to cite your sources. I am afraid "Google is my source" is not good enough
Read my post again and look at the details, I was commenting on mines closed in the Rhondda. The picture in South Wales is probably not the same as other parts of the country, I spent some time researching closures in South Wales and quite a few closed for various reasons notably a lack of miners to run them. This was due to the availability of cleaner jobs such as Llanwern steelworks, Port Talbot and BP Llandarcy. Additionally some of the smaller mines had to close because they needed the miners for the larger mines due to the shortage of miners.

Here's the list of mines in the Rhondda with the closure dates, if you want to calculate who closed the most mines since WW2 go fill your boots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hondda_Valleys

On a countrywide basis when I looked at figures a number of years ago for closures comparing the Conservative years (Thatcher/Heath) with Labour (Wilson/Callaghan) the number of mines closed and miners unemployed was a similar number.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...-mines-2401926

Quote:
ween 1963 and 1979, Labour governments closed a total of 303 collieries. Successive Conservative governments shut 162 mines. Even the left-of-centre Energy Minister, Tony Benn, recognised the economic argument and closed more coal mines than Margaret Thatcher and Michael Heseltine put together.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You can be sure any money saved from Brexit won't be heading to the Regions. It'll stay in the richest corner of the country. I'm afraid you've been misled. The EU was your safety net.
I haven't been mislead by anyone, recycled Westminster money has been coming to the area via the EU to be wasted on vanity projects.

You mean we wont have any more "once in a lifetime", "One-off" Objective one funding to lift us out of poverty for a fourth time.

Last edited by Escapee; 18-11-2019 at 18:55. Reason: Added WOL Link
Closed Thread