Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Buffalo Wireless Adapter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Buffalo Wireless Adapter

Old 17-03-2008, 13:53   #1
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie
Buffalo Wireless Adapter

Hey, so i bought a wireless adapter today, i plugged it in and its not working i thought it would work without a router or does it? thats my question lol i only want to use it with my nintendo ds anyone know if i works without a router?

Thanks
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2008, 14:36   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Buffalo Wireless Adapter

It will probably work if setup correctly, but is not trivial.
You would need to setup and 'ad-hoc' wireless network on the PC (aka peer to peer connection) and then the DS should be able to pick it up. (Google for "ad-hoc wifi" to get some how-to's).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 14:42   #3
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal

right ill give it ago and tell ya how it went thanks
Old 17-03-2008, 15:20   #4
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

My DS has built in WiFi.... is it to use t'internet thru your PC or just to play multiplayer games?
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 20:11   #5
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

yeah me to i want to use it for multiplayer games im still having trouble tryin too find out what to do lol

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

right so iv setup the ad-hoc with no problems my nintendo picks the signal up str8 away but when i try to connect its not picking any info up, i i have to assign a ip adress or something? thanks

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

anyone help please?
Old 17-03-2008, 20:13   #6
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

I think Cobbydaler is a "buffalo soldier". You might want to send him a PM.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 20:32   #7
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

will do thanks hope he knows his stuff! lol
Old 17-03-2008, 21:26   #8
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

you need to enable 'internet connection sharing' on your LAN card.
MS Howto here.
This allows the PC to 'bridge' the connection from the Ad-hoc Wan to the Internet.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 22:16   #9
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Plus make sure your firewall allows the connection, although the ICS wizard should do this if you're using the XP firewall...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 22:24   #10
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

right thanks for the help everyone ill try everything and get back to you
Old 18-03-2008, 17:42   #11
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

right im starting to get anoyed now lol so iv got my wireless adapter into ab-hoc mode and iv got my internet connection into shared mode my nintendo picks the signal up but i cant get online with it.

there a couple of things i dont get it asks me for an ip address a sunet mask, default gateway and so on. anymore help would be great thanks hope ya understand my post lol '

thnks
Old 18-03-2008, 17:48   #12
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

If you mean the DS is asking you that, then default gateway is the IP address of the PC, subnet mask should be the same as the subnet mask on your PC (usually 255.255.255.0)...
Old 18-03-2008, 17:53   #13
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

no my wireless adapter is asking me that, do i leave it automatic or do it manually do it, but i think the main problem is to bridge the connections but when i do i get

"to create a network bridge you must select atleast 2 lan or high speed internet connections that are not being used by internet connection sharing"
Old 18-03-2008, 17:56   #14
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie07 View Post
no my wireless adapter is asking me that, do i leave it automatic or do it manually do it, but i think the main problem is to bridge the connections but when i do i get

"to create a network bridge you must select atleast 2 lan or high speed internet connections that are not being used by internet connection sharing"
A network bridge in that context is something completely different to what you want.

Quote:
Network Bridge - a network component that aggregates two or more Network Connections and establishes a bridging environment between them. Windows does not support creating more than one network bridge per system.
Old 18-03-2008, 17:59   #15
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

is it god im no good with this so bridge connection is something i shouldnt do, so do i need to share the 2 connection or am i still not on the right lines?