Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to solve epson error 0x97

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Camcorder to PC Connection?

Old 29-12-2019, 20:42   #1
Joindup2
cf.member

Joindup2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Camcorder to PC Connection?

I've an old Panasonic camcorder that uses the mini dv tapes and I want to connect it to my PC to download recordings and edit them. I've found some capture/editing software (Filmora) and downloaded it. The camcorder has a 'PC' mode to view images recorded on a memory card.

The instruction manual doesn't cover the PC connection issue.

The camcorder has a small 'DV' port (about 6mm wide), an S video port, a small USB port (Mini B, I think) and a single 'jack' type AV port.

I hear that "you can only do that by firewire."

Can someone tell me what cable/ports to use, please?
Joindup2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2019, 21:07   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Camcorder to PC Connection?

I would suggest you try the mini USB first. If you have an Android phone just use the charge/data cable.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 22:54   #3
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The best thing to do in these sorts of circumstances is find the model number and use Goggle. The manufacturers website might have an online copy of the manual and/or a forum. Often the chances are, somebody else out there has had the same problem.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:57   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The best option is a video capture card, or even one of the many video transfer leads that have inbuilt hardware to change the format.

I have a couple that work fairly well, but you need fast hard drives or it all goes out of synch quite quickly.

They look similar to this one, but each has different lead types to for different cameras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAB4875-1.jpg (10.7 KB, 1 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 11:06   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The DV out is FireWire which is preferable to USB B because it is better at sustaining transfer speeds (even though USB B has a higher ‘burst’ speed). But that doesn’t help you if your machine doesn’t have a FireWire card ... Macs tend to have them, PCs tend not to.

I would have thought the USB connection should work ok for you if you’re importing reasonably short clips.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 12:37   #6
Joindup2
cf.member

Thanks for your replies. My Android phone cable has a different USB socket to the one on my camcorder. However, I have a cable that does fit the USB (A mini B, I think it's called) but I'm missing (or misunderstanding!) a vital link in the process as this connection does not give me motion video on the PC and I can't see how to use the capture/editing software that I've downloaded to download the data from the camcorder.

A FireWire card (Same as a video capture card?) would seem to be a way forward. Can anyone recommend one to a novice!

Being very new to this, there seems to be a lot to get my head around!
Old 31-12-2019, 13:31   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Why don't you see if you can find a user manual online for the camcorder. You would then know what you needed to connect it to the PC.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 15:31   #8
Joindup2
cf.member

Hello Pip. I have the operating instruction manual that came with the camcorder. Unfortunately, it does not cover connecting it to a computer.
Old 31-12-2019, 15:50   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Panasonic have a support forum.
Eg Link
Quote:
What cable do I need to connect my Mini DV (NV- range) camcorder to a computer for video editing?
For video editing the camcorder can be connected via the camcorders 4 pin firewire connection, labelled DV, to a firewire connection on the computer. If your PC does not have a firewire connection conforming to IEEE 1394 standards then this will need to be added to your PC. Your PC manufacture should be able to assist you in this case.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote