Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 07-01-2020, 01:26   #76
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
It’s definitely coming as it replaces Universal Channel

On another note I notice VH-1 Xmas has been reverted back to MTV Rocks and the V6 EPG logo is a lot bigger which is sensible.

Maybe the rest of the MTV channels will follow suit.
Several of the UKTV logos got bigger a few weeks, maybe a month ago, I forget exactly. I mentioned it on here somewhere.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2020, 01:47   #77
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Several of the UKTV logos got bigger a few weeks, maybe a month ago, I forget exactly. I mentioned it on here somewhere.
Yes it looks a lot better

The changes have happened

5HD is on 105
Paramount HD on 150

5Spike has gone already

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

VH1 now gone EPG now says MTV Classic with the bigger V6 EPG Logo the channel has just commenced at 00:50

I’m quite surprised that Channel 5 and Paramount SD are still there

Last edited by ScottishSteve; 07-01-2020 at 01:51.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:06   #78
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
It’s definitely coming as it replaces Universal Channel

On another note I notice VH-1 Xmas has been reverted back to MTV Rocks and the V6 EPG logo is a lot bigger which is sensible.

Maybe the rest of the MTV channels will follow suit.
Wikipedia even gives Sky Comedy channel numbers for Virgin:
Channel 121 (HD)
Channel 122 (SD)
Channel 206 (+1)
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32   #79
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Yes it looks a lot better

The changes have happened

5HD is on 105
Paramount HD on 150

5Spike has gone already

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

VH1 now gone EPG now says MTV Classic with the bigger V6 EPG Logo the channel has just commenced at 00:50

I’m quite surprised that Channel 5 and Paramount SD are still there
There have been even more changes to Viacom channel numbers.
Comedy Central HD is now 132
MTV HD is now 134
Comedy Central SD is now 181
MTV SD is now 183

And as you say, still present, Channel 5 SD is 154 and Paramount SD is 187.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Additional. I forgot to say the HD versions of Comedy Central and MTV have NOT changed packages, so the guide order for some customers reads greyed out main channel next to available +1 channel and the SD available version much further down the EPG.
Old 07-01-2020, 13:58   #80
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
There have been even more changes to Viacom channel numbers.
Comedy Central HD is now 132
MTV HD is now 134
Comedy Central SD is now 181
MTV SD is now 183

And as you say, still present, Channel 5 SD is 154 and Paramount SD is 187.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Additional. I forgot to say the HD versions of Comedy Central and MTV have NOT changed packages, so the guide order for some customers reads greyed out main channel next to available +1 channel and the SD available version much further down the EPG.
This is a very poor way to implement an HD swap of sorts. Now the majority of VM customers will have to search for these channels far down the EPG, and the ratings may suffer as a result.

MTV Rocks and MTV Classic have new style logos but all the others have the old style, so it looks very messy on the EPG.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 14:00   #81
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

An onscreen message says MTV is free until February 7th.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 17:41   #82
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

We have been told today by Media Boy Sources that they have seen information that said Sky are set to rebrand two Sky own channels as "Sky Action" and "Sky Drama".
Our scources are thinking Sky Two will become Sky Drama but are not sure about Sky Action.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:34   #83
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I would look out for a future Sky kids channel too.
Old 07-01-2020, 19:44   #84
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Wikipedia even gives Sky Comedy channel numbers for Virgin:
Channel 121 (HD)
Channel 122 (SD)
Channel 206 (+1)
i dont think wikipedia is massively accurate...i once made my own article and it suvived a few days
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 21:13   #85
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
This is a very poor way to implement an HD swap of sorts. Now the majority of VM customers will have to search for these channels far down the EPG, and the ratings may suffer as a result.

MTV Rocks and MTV Classic have new style logos but all the others have the old style, so it looks very messy on the EPG.
If you are looking for HD channels, why not use the HD option to restrict the EPG to HD channels?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 21:15   #86
RegularCapital
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media
RegularCapital is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I would look out for a future Sky kids channel too.
As Sky/Comcast now owns the non-UKTV Flextech channels, I guess a future Sky Kids channel would be a revived successor to TCC (The Children's Channel). Comcast owns Dreamworks Animation, so there's already a sizable library, plus the content they've already commissioned for their Sky Kids/NOW TV Kids streaming service. In the US, there's also a Universal Kids channel, they also co-owned KidsCo, a children's channel in Continental Europe which has since closed, despite being UK based, it was never available in the UK.

Sky has also signed an agreement with WarnerMedia for their kids content, but it's likely that this will be for VOD only and in the Cartoon Network/Boomerang/Cartoonito sections of the service as well as their respective channels and won't air on a hypothetical channel.
RegularCapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 21:35   #87
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We have been told today by Media Boy Sources that they have seen information that said Sky are set to rebrand two Sky own channels as "Sky Action" and "Sky Drama".
Our scources are thinking Sky Two will become Sky Drama but are not sure about Sky Action.
Curious to see if this comes true.

A lot of Sky 1’s current US output skews towards action so things like H5O, MacGyver, Magnum, SWAT, Seal Team and the Cinemax shows like Jett and Warrior could easily anchor an ‘action’ channel.

Drama seems a little less clear unless they are thinking more bingeable and female skewing content like Gossip Girl or Nashville - or maybe (just to randomly speculate in case do have the rights) some of the HBO Max original dramas which are aimed at younger audiences.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 23:27   #88
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
If you are looking for HD channels, why not use the HD option to restrict the EPG to HD channels?
Erm. I'm not. That's the point.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:01   #89
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

According to JJ20X on Forumbox the subscription pack codes for MTV HD and Comedy Central HD have both been changed overnight.

MTV HD will currently be available to M/Player, More, Mix, M+ & L/Fun
Comedy Central HD Mix, M+ & L/Fun

The implementation of the changes suggests MTV HD's availability will change at the end of the Free period, just like the SD version. Apparently there's an on-screen message, but it's not showing to me. I normally have the SD version of the channel so maybe not seeing the message is an indication that the HD version will remain to some afterwards.
Old 08-01-2020, 13:24   #90
SonicMaster
cf.geek

Quote:
According to JJ20X on Forumbox the subscription pack codes for MTV HD and Comedy Central HD have both been changed overnight.

MTV HD will currently be available to M/Player, More, Mix, M+ & L/Fun
Comedy Central HD Mix, M+ & L/Fun

The implementation of the changes suggests MTV HD's availability will change at the end of the Free period, just like the SD version. Apparently there's an on-screen message, but it's not showing to me. I normally have the SD version of the channel so maybe not seeing the message is an indication that the HD version will remain to some afterwards.
Now it makes sense. So looks like Comedy Central HD and MTV HD are joining Mix, M+, L & Fun permanently, plus MTV HD is having a 'free view' on M & Player too.