Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Welsh 16 year olds get the vote

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Welsh 16 year olds get the vote

Old Yesterday, 22:15   #46
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: Vivid 200;Hub 3 MM; ASUS RT-AC68U. BT Infinity2; Tivo; V6; XL Phone; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze array
Sephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze array
Re: Welsh 16 year olds get the vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So can 65 year olds.
Evidence? Will you suddenly turn influencible in two years?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old Today, 10:41   #47
jonbxx
cf.geek

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has reached the bronze age
jonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze age

Influence is an interesting argument. A big factor is how different age groups get their information and what they do with it. This paper is quite interesting - https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ion_as_leveler

Unsurprisingly, it shows that social media is a large influencer with the young while traditional print and TV media has a greater impact in older groups. There is a definite 'push' vs.'pull' effect here. Good social media advertising will be well targeted tote receiver and the parties who are good at this will have some success. In this case, information is 'pushed' to the receiver. In print media, we tend to buy papers which reflect us and our values and so to an extent confirms what we think already - the recipient 'pulls' the information.

This works to the extent where groups of people with certain political alignments are almost defined by the media they consume such as centre left 'Guardianistas'.

So, are the young more easily influenced than the old? By influenced, I mean more likely to change their mind on who to vote for. Probably yes but the question is why? I can think of a few reasons;
  • Using a broader church of media reduces confirmation bias
  • Use of the resources such as the internet allows a deeper level of fact checking
  • Interaction with a broader demographic (see this forum as a good example)
  • Political advertising can be targeted or 'pushed' to the audience
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32   #48
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has reached the bronze age
Carth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post

So, are the young more easily influenced than the old? By influenced, I mean more likely to change their mind on who to vote for. Probably yes but the question is why? I can think of a few reasons;
  • Use of the resources such as the internet allows a deeper level of fact checking
Influencing has become so much easier and far reaching due to the magic of the internet and TV.

We are all targeted by influencing all day long, but the 'older' generation have learned (by experience) that much of it is just a con job.

Political influencing is no different to the bombardment of product advertising that hits us whenever we turn something on, they're just trying to 'sell' you a person/promise/idea instead of a product . . actually no, most political parties are now a product too

It's up to the individual and their mindset, coupled with prior experience, which is usually the factor in deciding whether a 'product' is worth all the hype thrown at you about it.

Younger people - in my opinion - are more easily swayed by bull pooh than those who have experienced treading in it a few times

edit: see sig below
Old Today, 13:18   #49
jonbxx
cf.geek

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has reached the bronze age
jonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
It's up to the individual and their mindset, coupled with prior experience, which is usually the factor in deciding whether a 'product' is worth all the hype thrown at you about it.

Younger people - in my opinion - are more easily swayed by bull pooh than those who have experienced treading in it a few times

edit: see sig below
Or, to put it another way, the young are more open minded that the old.

The number of times I have heard older people recite what they have been told by the Express and Mail which are, at best half truths and at worst lies suggests that they are influenced.
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:55   #50
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has reached the bronze age
Carth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze age

Quote:

The number of times I have heard older people recite what they have been told by the Express and Mail which are, at best half truths and at worst lies suggests that they are influenced.
Oh I'm not saying the older generation aren't influenced, but I think the younger ones are more 'open' to being influenced.

There are people of both generations that are easily led (as the saying goes) but it's only life experiences that allow people to judge and trust the information delivered to them . . if they can be bothered to do so
Old Today, 14:34   #51
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Oh I'm not saying the older generation aren't influenced, but I think the younger ones are more 'open' to being influenced.

There are people of both generations that are easily led (as the saying goes) but it's only life experiences that allow people to judge and trust the information delivered to them . . if they can be bothered to do so
A fresh sponge soaks up more syrup,but the syrup just runs off an old sponge
Old Today, 17:35   #52
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: Vivid 200;Hub 3 MM; ASUS RT-AC68U. BT Infinity2; Tivo; V6; XL Phone; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze array
Sephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze arraySephiroth has a bronze array

Quote:
Influence is an interesting argument. A big factor is how different age groups get their information and what they do with it. This paper is quite interesting - https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ion_as_leveler

Unsurprisingly, it shows that social media is a large influencer with the young while traditional print and TV media has a greater impact in older groups. There is a definite 'push' vs.'pull' effect here. Good social media advertising will be well targeted tote receiver and the parties who are good at this will have some success. In this case, information is 'pushed' to the receiver. In print media, we tend to buy papers which reflect us and our values and so to an extent confirms what we think already - the recipient 'pulls' the information.

This works to the extent where groups of people with certain political alignments are almost defined by the media they consume such as centre left 'Guardianistas'.

Well argued.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Quote:

Now you've gone and spoiled it!

The young are more open minded - yes; ability to properly digest what's pushed to them - less likely until they've got a lot older.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
A fresh sponge soaks up more syrup,but the syrup just runs off an old sponge
A fresh sponge is unlikley to know the difference between proper syrup and fake syrup.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote