Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is piracy on the way out and will VM and Sky benefit?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is piracy on the way out and will VM and Sky benefit?

Old 08-12-2018, 22:08   #31
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: Is piracy on the way out and will VM and Sky benefit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Speaking from personal experience of my Family & Friends, the cost of one service (such as Netflix) is not the issue.

The problem is that to be able to watch everything you actually want to see, you need Netflix, Prime, Sky and some US ones we cannot even access in the UK.

If you only needed to pay for one source, you would eliminate a lot of illegal sharing.
Exactamundo. Netflix helped reduce piracy because it was the one service you needed to mostly cover all your viewing needs. Now that everyone and their dog are pulling things from Netflix and setting up their own exclusive streaming service, it's turning into a mess of providers and there isnt a hope in hell people will subscribe to many of them. Piracy will increase again, and its the fault of the big corporations just mindlessly making a land-grab for more profits.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2018, 14:10   #32
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Piracy will never go away
Old 09-12-2018, 14:22   #33
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Most certainly not until the prices come down on the content people want.
Old 09-12-2018, 14:47   #34
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As if that will ever happen!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 17:08   #35
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

You mean like bluestacks with showbox.

That went down the other day as well. I agree though piracy is always going to be about especially when you have VM packages in the range of £74 a month and that doesn't even cover the things like Netflix/Amazon

I would like to see a service where I can view the latest cinema release from home without having to take a trip to the cinema when I can't be bothered
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:39   #36
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I actually believe the price is (in some cases) irrelevant, because there are those who want everything for free.

Piracy won't go away, and I think to some extent, Hollywood actually needs it. It can generate publicity for shows and films that would otherwise have nothing. Game of Thrones for instance. That was a relatively small, very expensive show at the start, then really took off when season one became the most pirated show ever.

But, I am digressing. I think Piracy is probably being reduced, although mainly by services such as Netflix, Prime Video and all the various subscription music services. I suspect even those selling dodgy TV boxes and sticks will ultimately suffer because these services are starting to offer a lot of the content offered by those boxes for a lot less money, and legally. Of course, they won't replace everything, such as sports, but I think they will help.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 18:41   #37
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:

You could give it away and people would download illegally, its human nature.
Old 11-12-2018, 13:50   #38
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The net prepares to start closing in.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018...cy-watch-list/

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Quote:
You could give it away and people would download illegally, its human nature.
Not if the fines imposed ensured that it was not worthwhile to do so. With better detection and enforcement, things could change quite quickly. At present, viewers of pirated material think they can access whatever they want with impunity. That's why so many people do it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 14:02   #39
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

The net only closes in those jurisdictions where it is illegal, the Internet is global, and TPB hate that.

The only sane thing the authorities could do to make a dent in it, would be to ban private VPN usage, and restrict it to Business use only.

But you know what? someone would find a new way to circumnavigate that, as I said it's all just cat and mouse, somedays the cat wins, mostly the mouse, you DID watch Tom & Jerry as a child right?
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 14:14   #40
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

They seem a lot more concerned about illegal streaming these days, rather than torrents.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 14:21   #41
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
The net only closes in those jurisdictions where it is illegal, the Internet is global, and TPB hate that.

The only sane thing the authorities could do to make a dent in it, would be to ban private VPN usage, and restrict it to Business use only.

But you know what? someone would find a new way to circumnavigate that, as I said it's all just cat and mouse, somedays the cat wins, mostly the mouse, you DID watch Tom & Jerry as a child right?
They won't ban VPN useage. However the GDPR legislation does show that countries can impose laws which can impact on people abroad.

I think something will happen along these lines in the future, although I don't know how far off that is yet. However, even with the present situation, if US companies providing or distributing content were able to track you down one way or another, the US, presumably, could request extradition to make you face the consequences of your actions through the US courts. I know some will argue that you are safe with a good VPN, but you know what, I am not convinced. I simply wouldn't risk it, and I don't believe that the police won't be able to track you down if they raided the companies providing these services, inspected the records that they lead you to believe they don't keep and used technical devices to track down illegal streaming.

I am concerned that such a bombshell could suddenly land without warning and ensnare UK offenders before they had a chance to mend their ways with a pre-warning. I do think everyone should be very careful now, this situation won't be allowed to continue. There is too much money being lost.
Old 11-12-2018, 14:46   #42
lightmyfire
Inactive

lightmyfire is an unknown quantity at this point

It made me chuckle when one of the bigger VPN suppliers started advertising their product on national TV.

Of course no one who acquires a VPN service has any intention of streaming the latest videos from some Kodi streaming service or bypassing the UK's ISP's ban on Piratebay.
lightmyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 16:32   #43
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I think it's a case of what gets the most bang for your buck.

It's going to cost a certain amount to catch each torrenter, then there will be costs involved in retrieving any money (including court, possibly). That would get a few downloaders.

If you catch the owner of a illegal streaming service, it's probably going to cost around the same as a torrenter, but would stop dozens, potentially hundreds, if not thousands of people viewing the content illegally.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 17:31   #44
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The net prepares to start closing in.
How naive of you. That is not a crack down on piracy as such but those who make money from it.

That I agree with.

No one who is actually part of piracy does it to make money. We do it freely and detest those who charge.

Last edited by pip08456; 11-12-2018 at 17:40.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 18:00   #45
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
How naive of you. That is not a crack down on piracy as such but those who make money from it.

That I agree with.

No one who is actually part of piracy does it to make money. We do it freely and detest those who charge.
Yes, I know, pip. It is very clear that they are concentrating on suppliers at the moment. All I am saying is that I doubt that it will stop there.

I mean, when you think of how much money Sky is losing through pirated Premiereship football streams, why wouldn't they go after those who have viewed matches for free if they had a means to do so?