Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 15:08   #2236
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

My opinion is that it should be left as it is Alexander for the reasons you stated. The decision was taken not to inform customer services about the trial and the end result in at least one case we know about was that one customer actually bought a new pc after customer services told him he had a dns hijacker. A clear case of deception by ommission, in my opinion.

See what others think also though.

EDIT I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work you are putting into all this Alexander and I really like the paper so far.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2008, 15:09   #2237
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkotron View Post
I think that "deceived" is fair enough, but I'd remove "deliberately", or replace it with "deliberately or inadvertently". Maybe something like "decieved, whether deliberately or inadvertently". I really think it's best not to put in anything that can't be really solidly backed up.

Sorry, back to reading.
OK changed to:

"This means that not only did BT PLC engage in secret trials without the consent of their customers but they also deceived their customers when concerns were raised by them (either deliberately or inadvertently)."

I have updated the version on the server too to reflect the changes.

Alexander Hanff
Old 04-04-2008, 15:17   #2238
Barkotron
Inactive

Barkotron will become famous soon enoughBarkotron will become famous soon enoughBarkotron will become famous soon enough

Thanks Alexander, I really think it's worth giving the PR teams as little foothold for dismissing what you're saying as possible. So stick as closely to known facts or published opinions as you possibly can, and don't let justifiable anger get in the way. Wow, now I feel like Yoda or Mr Miyagi or someone.

Small stylistic point, personally I'd not use words like "basically" (as in the bit about DPI on page 5). It doesn't add anything to the sentence and it's a bit conversational/informal. Also, readers can find it a little condescending.
Old 04-04-2008, 15:24   #2239
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkotron View Post
Thanks Alexander, I really think it's worth giving the PR teams as little foothold for dismissing what you're saying as possible. So stick as closely to known facts or published opinions as you possibly can, and don't let justifiable anger get in the way. Wow, now I feel like Yoda or Mr Miyagi or someone.

Small stylistic point, personally I'd not use words like "basically" (as in the bit about DPI on page 5). It doesn't add anything to the sentence and it's a bit conversational/informal. Also, readers can find it a little condescending.
Ahh I missed that one fixed now. I went through it earlier and removed a bunch of "Clearly..." type comments for the same reason.

Alexander Hanff
Old 04-04-2008, 15:27   #2240
Barkotron
Inactive

Barkotron will become famous soon enoughBarkotron will become famous soon enoughBarkotron will become famous soon enough

Nice one - now go get some sleep!
Old 04-04-2008, 15:29   #2241
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

PhormUKPRteam are back *waves*
Old 04-04-2008, 15:34   #2242
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Yeah I am going in about 10 minutes.

If anyone finds it is difficult to understand anywhere, please let me know. I am trying to write it as a formal article (as I would my academic coursework) but at the same time I want the general public to read it so I am trying very hard to explain technologies and issues in sufficient detail for a broad audience to understand. It is a difficult balance when you come from a technical background so I fully appreciate that I might get it wrong at times either by over explaining or not elaborating enough.

Alexander Hanff
Old 04-04-2008, 15:35   #2243
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
Awwwww how sweet. They must have missed us.
Old 04-04-2008, 15:57   #2244
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
Awwwww how sweet. They must have missed us.
Think we've scared them oph again. Unless they've gone phor a phag break, phor reprogramming or phor a phar reaching reindoctrination programming phase
Old 04-04-2008, 16:07   #2245
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
PhormUKPRteam, just to help, you could copy and paste this into your daily report to Kent.

The opposition continues to :-

a) Explore all legal avenues, and lobby public bodies and legislators, to apply the law.
b) Explore all ways to bring the issue to a wider public audience.
c) Continue to point out the damage being done to the BT and Virgin brands in particular, due to their continued association with Phorm.

They seem to be having success in all these areas.

You could then point out you need a bigger team and lots more money in order to stop the rot.

Glad to help.
Old 04-04-2008, 16:15   #2246
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era

I'm a bit reminded of the outcry against Microsoft's WGA. Everyone was very much 'up in arms' over this but in practice, it hasn't proved to affect people's lives. Can a parallel be drawn?
Old 04-04-2008, 16:39   #2247
OF1975
Inactive

Spotted this in a comment from theregister website. Phorm look to be recruiting (or maybe one of the ISPs involved?) :

http://www.jobserve.com/E4ECDD80ACF7BD0A7.job

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
I'm a bit reminded of the outcry against Microsoft's WGA. Everyone was very much 'up in arms' over this but in practice, it hasn't proved to affect people's lives. Can a parallel be drawn?
Good question. For me the answer depends on whether we value our data protection and privacy rights. It depends whether we believe big business should be allowed to break criminal law without sanction or punishment and whether or not we are happy to sit back and do nothing in the face of such a threat to our values and rights.
Old 04-04-2008, 16:48   #2248
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
Spotted this in a comment from theregister website. Phorm look to be recruiting (or maybe one of the ISPs involved?) :

http://www.jobserve.com/E4ECDD80ACF7BD0A7.job

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Good question. For me the answer depends on whether we value our data protection and privacy rights. It depends whether we believe big business should be allowed to break criminal law without sanction or punishment and whether or not we are happy to sit back and do nothing in the face of such a threat to our values and rights.
An extract from the job advert;

"...ISP's are currently committing to an opportunity to derive online advertising revenues from customers visiting 3rd party Websites utilising anonymous information from their customers wider browsing behaviour. Advertising revenue is only derived from ads placed on our own portal and we do not monetise customers wider browsing activities.

The Project's primary objective is to deliver fully operationally supported online behaviour targeting technologies (Phorm) within the existing Network Architecture. This will enable us to derive incremental online advertising revenues. As a result of customers off portal browsing activities, serving them targeted ad's on third party Websites, based upon the ability to monitor online behaviours. Maximising performance of low value inventory on our portal.

Working with a company called Phorm an opportunity exists for us to derive significant incremental online advertising revenues as well as delivering the customer an anti phishing service.

Revenues are derived by:
The deployment of Servers into the network providing the ability to monitor customers online browsing behaviours on the wider Web and as a result of the technology and 'market place' Phorm provide serve them targeted ad's on third party Websites.
Maximising performance of low value inventory on the our portal, driving wholly incremental revenues..."

(Please note: this is NOT the entire article; there should be no copyright problem with quoting part of the page...)

Any talented people here? Fancy bringing down the system from within?

Since they're not prepared to tell us anything about the technical workings of this system, we'll have to find out for ourselves...
Old 04-04-2008, 16:55   #2249
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

Damn, beaten to it again! I take my tea very seriously though, it has to be *just* right. The job description makes interesting reading. Here's an alternative translation.

Usual Project Manager sort of spec with:

"Strong personality that can take control and manage a very high profile project with high risk factors"

It's high profile because of the backlash and negative publicity we're getting you The risk factors are high because of potential legal action and regulatory investigations.

"Excellent communication skills"
"Focus and commitment to deliver a unique and controversial project"

aka thick skinned enough to take all the flak, capable of spinning to confuse the weak minded and being about as popular as Max Mosley is with the F1 constructors

"Track record of managing projects where benefits are likely to be in the range of £5-50m"

Are these actual proven claims? After all The Guardian rejected Phorm. With everything else going on making claims about benefits is rather brave.

"Proven record of managing high risk projects with complex delivery"

aka someone we can nail thus protecting our own management and reputation if this all goes titsup

Now there is a competitor which headlines that "No Need for Bad-Phorm Approach to Online Advertising."

*waves at PhormUKPRteam*

I've just got a read recipt from David Davis
Old 04-04-2008, 16:57   #2250
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
An extract from the job advert;

Any talented people here? Fancy bringing down the system from within?

Since they're not prepared to tell us anything about the technical workings of this system, we'll have to find out for ourselves...
If you do apply, they won't want a CV, just your 'hacker' nickname, darkstalker or cyberspy, for example.

They will know of you then by reputation.
Closed Thread