Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 20:51   #946
NormCash
Inactive

NormCash is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

peacedude2k4

...Oh, and I should also mention that I am not running any p2p software, or anything else that should have any detrimental effect on my connection speed.
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2004, 20:56   #947
peacedude2k4

OK then it could be server issue around your end, have you check NTL's server status for work in your area?

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

I think mainly its down to local issues I have had loss of performance for a few hours and this could be to do with loads of people downloading the DOOM3 leaked game and causing a detrimental effect on the network.

Old 06-08-2004, 20:58   #948
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormCash
peacedude2k4

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that link doesn't seem to be working.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...speedtest.html
Old 06-08-2004, 21:00   #949
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

NormCash - Have you phoned ntl tech support? Something must be wrong if you're getting around 100-128k for the 600/700k service.
Old 06-08-2004, 21:10   #950
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

OK out of interest I tried that RW test and got this result,

1st 128K took 0 ms = Infinity Bytes/sec = approx Infinity kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 0 ms = Infinity Bytes/sec = approx Infinity kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 60 ms = 2184533 Bytes/sec = approx 18175 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 0 ms = Infinity Bytes/sec = approx Infinity kbits/sec

That puzzled me so I did it again and got this,

1st 128K took 34440 ms = 3806 Bytes/sec = approx 32 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 35640 ms = 3678 Bytes/sec = approx 31 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 12250 ms = 10700 Bytes/sec = approx 89 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 18070 ms = 7254 Bytes/sec = approx 60 kbits/sec

As I'm a total can anyone explain if this is good for 150k.I certainly have no idea.

Incog.
Old 06-08-2004, 21:12   #951
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Hmm, Im very confused, and I would love a NTL tech to explain this, for I could be stupidly wrong.

Before I start, is Biggleswade ALL served by the same UBR?
If so, would it all be upgraded at the same time? that is my hostmask below btw, and suggests im on the biggleswade UBR, My postcode comes up with september, but all the Biggleswade postcodes I know come up that they have been upgraded ( That changed in the last 2 days btw) whats the difference between the areas? As Im in langford, right beside it. (Literally 2 miles apart, and I was sure using the same pipe).

Or is the checker wrong? Or am I missing something, thanks in advance. :p

cpc2-bigg1-5-0-cust**.lutn.cable.ntl.com <---

Edit : Im on a SACM before you shout STB user :P
Old 06-08-2004, 21:12   #952
NormCash
Inactive

Matt D

Haven't phoned yet. I just ran the speed test this evening, so I'm too late to get them now.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2004, 21:13   #953
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
OK out of interest I tried that RW test and got this result,

1st 128K took 0 ms = Infinity Bytes/sec = approx Infinity kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 0 ms = Infinity Bytes/sec = approx Infinity kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 60 ms = 2184533 Bytes/sec = approx 18175 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 0 ms = Infinity Bytes/sec = approx Infinity kbits/sec

That puzzled me so I did it again and got this,

1st 128K took 34440 ms = 3806 Bytes/sec = approx 32 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 35640 ms = 3678 Bytes/sec = approx 31 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 12250 ms = 10700 Bytes/sec = approx 89 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 18070 ms = 7254 Bytes/sec = approx 60 kbits/sec

As I'm a total can anyone explain if this is good for 150k.I certainly have no idea.

Incog.
Ignore the 1st reading as it's just a 'stored' result, but the 2nd one looks poor Incog, those figures at the end of each line should be around the 150k mark (as per your BB service)
Old 06-08-2004, 21:19   #954
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Ignore the 1st reading as it's just a 'stored' result, but the 2nd one looks poor Incog, those figures at the end of each line should be around the 150k mark (as per your BB service)

Well it's been like wading through treacle all day and my downloading today has been really slow.Oh well I guess there are too many of us on the same pipe so to speak and we haven't been upgrade yet.
Old 06-08-2004, 21:23   #955
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It
Hmm, Im very confused, and I would love a NTL tech to explain this, for I could be stupidly wrong.

Before I start, is Biggleswade ALL served by the same UBR?
If so, would it all be upgraded at the same time? that is my hostmask below btw, and suggests im on the biggleswade UBR, My postcode comes up with september, but all the Biggleswade postcodes I know come up that they have been upgraded ( That changed in the last 2 days btw) whats the difference between the areas? As Im in langford, right beside it. (Literally 2 miles apart, and I was sure using the same pipe).

Or is the checker wrong? Or am I missing something, thanks in advance. :p

cpc2-bigg1-5-0-cust**.lutn.cable.ntl.com <---

Edit : Im on a SACM before you shout STB user :P

I don't work for ntl, but BBKing does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
Worth pointing out that just because you have or haven't been done doesn't mean your entire area hasn't been done. Some areas are being done later because of capacity work or resegmentations. Hence the postcode checker, although this appears to be working on a random date principle at the moment.
Quote:
Matt D

Haven't phoned yet. I just ran the speed test this evening, so I'm too late to get them now.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Tech Support is open until midnight.

SACM (Langley) 0845 650 0121
SACM (Bromley) 0845 650 0925
STB (broadband only) 0845 650 0125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
the 2nd one looks poor Incog, those figures at the end of each line should be around the 150k mark (as per your BB service)
Very poor
Old 06-08-2004, 21:32   #956
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:29:35 UTC
1st 128K took 15490 ms = 8462 Bytes/sec = approx 70 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3790 ms = 34584 Bytes/sec = approx 288 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 6810 ms = 19247 Bytes/sec = approx 160 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 3620 ms = 36208 Bytes/sec = approx 301 kbits/sec

Well there you are another try and the above is what I got.

It would appear to be erratic at the moment.

Never mind I'm able to get my email at present so I've no real complaints now.
Old 06-08-2004, 21:42   #957
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Well there you are another try and the above is what I got.

It would appear to be erratic at the moment.
Heh, just a bit.

Incog, try downloading Dan Elwell's Speed Test app from here: http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/
Old 06-08-2004, 22:16   #958
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Well I did that.I would appear to have some problems but what the heck I can do about it Im not sure.
Old 06-08-2004, 22:54   #959
NormCash
Inactive

Matt D

Thanks for the sage advice. I called Tech Support, and it turns out (I hope this makes sense) that when they upgraded me, they had somehow configured my connection for 128k rather than 700. They got me fixed up right away.

Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2004, 23:12   #960
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Matt D

Thanks for the sage advice.
No problem

Quote:
I called Tech Support, and it turns out (I hope this makes sense) that when they upgraded me, they had somehow configured my connection for 128k rather than 700. They got me fixed up right away.

Thanks again!
So they actually downgraded you...

Glad you've got it sorted

Try the speed test again. Hopefully you'll get the right numbers now
Closed Thread