Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contactless cards and the future of cash

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Contactless cards and the future of cash

Old 06-03-2021, 03:26   #46
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Contactless cards and the future of cash

A cashless society will help HMRC cut down on tax evasion e.g. window cleaners and cut down on benefit fraud. Contactless helps with the fight against Covid.

If your card is used fraudently, the banks should refund you under the Payment Services Regulations.

It's also safer than carrying cash or keeping it at home and will disrupt illegal activities so, on balance, I think i'm in favour.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 06-03-2021 at 03:33.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2021, 08:28   #47
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
A cashless society will help HMRC cut down on tax evasion e.g. window cleaners and cut down on benefit fraud. Contactless helps with the fight against Covid.

If your card is used fraudently, the banks should refund you under the Payment Services Regulations.

It's also safer than carrying cash or keeping it at home and will disrupt illegal activities so, on balance, I think i'm in favour.
Yes, let’s get after them window cleaners.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:46   #48
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don't disagree but there is some scaremongering around readers taking contactless payments from passers by or from jackets at or near the till in a bar.
Scaremongering is all it is.

Yes, Im sure it could happen, if everything fell into place.
The again, your card could be cloned in an ATM, or when paying anywhere where you lose sight of it for a few seconds. You could be scammed by email, online purchase, or many other things.

Just more tin foil had brigade.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:09   #49
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

The again, your card could be cloned in an ATM, or when paying anywhere where you lose sight of it for a few seconds. You could be scammed by email, online purchase, or many other things.

I've had my debit card cloned and it was more an inconvenience than anything else. The fraudsters made a small value transaction (£1.70 car park) to test that it worked. Then they tried to order some IT equipment online about nine times but each time that transaction failed. This alerted the bank who rang me straight away, cancelled the card and reversed the car park transaction.
The bank said it could have been cloned anywhere so not to worry about it.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:17   #50
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A consumer advice show has just said that people can be made liable for at least the first £50 that is spent before they report a card as lost or stolen. Apparently, they are "very reasonable about this" {unusually for banks).

However, if they believe that you've been negligent or taken your time to report the loss, this can be more up to the value of the value spent!

Negligent is a very subjective term though. Have you been negligent leaving it unattended somewhere? I would say yes, but have you been negligent by losing it out of your pocket? Not so clear cut.

I suspect a lot of people lie when they report a loss or theft.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:10   #51
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I keep my cards inside a credit card hard wallet inside my bra.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:02   #52
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Good idea, though personally i'm not going to start wearing a bra just to keep my cards safe
Old 08-03-2021, 11:07   #53
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Use a merkin instead...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:10   #54
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Good idea, though personally i'm not going to start wearing a bra just to keep my cards safe

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Use a merkin instead...

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:53   #55
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I have a nice wallet that holds my cards and cash (coins and notes). When in office wear it sits in my shirt pocket else in my hip pocket, why should I buy a new wallet?

I like the opportunity to use cash as while you can use cash the government can't stop you trading. It's not the current ones you need worry about but the potential future rules. If there is no cash they could stop groups of people from buying or selling.

It could be sold as a way to protect from convicts, you lock their "account" so it can only be used for prison scrip, relatives can add to it, they can earn to it but if the escape they can't use "real" money.
OR
Use for military on deployment, they can use scrip for buying on base but not with locals and locals can't get scrip or however you want to reduce smuggling etc. Officials locals could take scrip and sell "approved" items/services.
OR
Use for foreign currency, you account could get a wallet for foreign currency you can fill up and then spend without the normal CC add on for foreign transactions.
Old 08-03-2021, 15:59   #56
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I keep my cards inside a credit card hard wallet inside my bra.
That must get some interesting looks when it comes to paying.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 20:16   #57
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

...Or someone could steal your cash. Nothing is 100% safe. At least if your card is stolen you can cancel it, and get a refund from your bank. When you have cash stolen, you'll be very lucky to see that again.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:00   #58
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

I can't remember the last time i used cash in the UK, I rarely even take my wallet with me, I pretty much now just use Apple Pay and either my phone or my watch.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:18   #59
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Mobile and watch payments need to have another form of activation though in order for them to work even for within the contactless limit.

For Apple you have to wake your watch or do biometric ID on the phone. Android devices and watches need something similar most of the time (though sometimes it's as simple as making the phone is 'awake')

It's why you can now do higher transactions with two forms of verification from the PCI guidlines which are:

'Something you know, such as a password or passphrase. Something you have, such as a token device or smartcard. Something you are, such as a biometric.'

My bank Natwest have recently allowed me to manage contactless (along with other payment methods) on my debit card. This now matches the app-based card providers.

I'm hoping the next stage on this will be to allow me to set my own contactless limit below the default if I want to.

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-03-2021 at 11:22.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 13:49   #60
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Mobile and watch payments need to have another form of activation though in order for them to work even for within the contactless limit.

For Apple you have to wake your watch or do biometric ID on the phone. Android devices and watches need something similar most of the time (though sometimes it's as simple as making the phone is 'awake')

It's why you can now do higher transactions with two forms of verification from the PCI guidlines which are:

'Something you know, such as a password or passphrase. Something you have, such as a token device or smartcard. Something you are, such as a biometric.'

My bank Natwest have recently allowed me to manage contactless (along with other payment methods) on my debit card. This now matches the app-based card providers.

I'm hoping the next stage on this will be to allow me to set my own contactless limit below the default if I want to.
Yeah, I use my phone now for payments rather than card now as I need to open my (Android) phone with a fingerprint. Definitely feels more secure than just tapping a card...
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote