Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Supergirl

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Supergirl

Old 25-10-2016, 05:30   #31
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Supergirl

Its the only one of the main three that is doing well... Betting that has a lot to do with Supergirl not getting a movie. Seems to be almost blatant that WB are seriously interfering with the direction of The Flash and Arrow since the Justice and standalone movies.

Legends gets a pass as it was pretty much DOA and is still on the flatline.

Shame as I like all four. Found myself skipping Arrow and catching up episodes later. Don't want that to happen with The Flash. Was hoping to reach a point where they'd shuffle it and have all 5 days covered. Constantine is free, Lucifer is on FOX, or Suicide Squad with the casting from Arrow? Given the movie was diabolical.
Old 06-03-2021, 20:24   #32
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

season 6 premieres on Tuesday 30th March
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:23   #33
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Indeed, its taking over from Superman & Lois, which is delayed due to the pandemic, and apparently returns in May.

Not sure how thats going to work, and they will still have loads of Supergirl episodes to show as well, it reads like they will swap again on May 18.

If thats the case, Supergirl will then run until at least November.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 13:28   #34
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Looking forward to the new season, and I'm slightly sad it is ending. Although hopefully it'll end on a high.

Re Superman and Lois, much as I like the way Tyler Hoechin and Elizabeth McCulloch are playing Superman/Clark and Lois, not really sure I'm enjoying the series. I think the storyline (at least in episodes 1 and 2) isn't really working, so needs some adjustment. I'll carry on though, as I realise a new series can take a while to start to be good. Star Trek: The Next Generation was one of my favourite shows ever, but I nearly stopped watching after episode 15 of season 1 because those 15 episodes weren't generally worth bothering with. Thankfully season 1 improved massively, and while some of the later episodes were a bit variable, it was an excellent show overall.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:04   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Star Trek improved in inverse correlation with Gene Roddenberry's direct influence over it. He was a big-picture man, not unlike George Lucas or Terry Nation. Inventive, but not brilliant when it comes to continually grinding out new material in the same space. Much of the 'meh' around Star Wars 1-3 can be attributed to Lucas having become so powerful, there was no longer anybody to tell him if he'd had a crap idea. And if you watch Blakes' Seven you can see it visibly running out of steam after about half a dozen episodes and suddenly starting to look a lot like mid-Baker-era Doctor Who without the time travel.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:37   #36
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Shows eventually run out of steam. It goes from some creative idea somebody has had to a 30-60 minute slot of time some writers are tasked to fill which leads to formulaic writing without much energy or creative spark, just a product that's been created to a spec.

This is especially the case with procedural shows that have 18-24 episodes a season that is designed to be a collection of one-off episodes where the writers have to be sure to include certain moments that are signatures of that particular show. There is only so much juice to be found in a certain set of characters or setting and in the end they're just grinding out episodes to wack on TV.

As a viewer eventually the artifice breaks down and you go from being engaged with the story to spotting what the writers are doing and why. You see contrived plot devices that were purely designed to extend the show's run for example.

It's why mini-series like Queens Gambit or serialisations like Breaking Bad are good. They have a self-contained story that is the idea of a few creators and once they've got it out of their system, it's done.

Last edited by Damien; 08-03-2021 at 14:43.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:38   #37
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's why mini-series like Queens Gambit or serialisations like Breaking Bad are good. They have a self-contained story that is the idea of a few creators and once they've got it out of their system, it's done.
You missed Babylon 5. It is the absolute gold standard of story telling.
Old 09-09-2021, 20:37   #38
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well, I'm sad to say I will not miss this when its done (which should be mid November).

The first three seasons were really quite good, esp 1 & 2, but the politics, pc, feminism and constant preaching have slowly taken over and ruined it, they even got rid of her iconic red skirt last season. Now its much like Doctor Who, each week is a Preach about something, and just like Doctor who, I now find myself Fast Forwarding many parts of an episode just to get back to the actual story.

Old 09-09-2021, 23:25   #39
General Maximus
Ran Away

Please put any comments regarding affordable housing in the current affairs thread
Old 09-09-2021, 23:41   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yeah, I’m seeing it through because I’ve followed it this far and I’m bloody minded like that, but if the last 2 seasons had been the first 2 I’d have binned it pretty quick. I don’t mind TV drama tackling ‘issues’ but there’s a big difference between exploring issues and preaching at the audience and Supergirl’s writers are way over the wrong side of the line on this. It’s getting extremely irritating.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:01   #41
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well, I'm sad to say I will not miss this when its done (which should be mid November).

The first three seasons were really quite good, esp 1 & 2, but the politics, pc, feminism and constant preaching have slowly taken over and ruined it, they even got rid of her iconic red skirt last season. Now its much like Doctor Who, each week is a Preach about something, and just like Doctor who, I now find myself Fast Forwarding many parts of an episode just to get back to the actual story.
That's when I stopped watching it.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 00:51   #42
General Maximus
Ran Away

All those poor black people who can't afford health insurance. I hope you feel bad for sitting by and watching and not doing anything about it. Try not to cry.
Old 24-09-2021, 05:37   #43
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Last week was an almost decent episode, not too much preaching.

Sadly, it didnt last, they were back to the endless preaching and speeches this week.
Naturally, the bad guy (well girl) was white, and power mad, and no one cared about the "victims".

The whole actual [proper] superhero story probably lasted about 20 minutes if that, the rest was just more preaching and speeches.
(Actually, calling a 'story' is a bit of a stretch, there was very little to it, and it was largely designed simply to facilitate the weeks preaching).

I gave up and skipped through them to the relevant parts, then skipped the further speeches afterwards.
Its become absolute drivel, no wonder its ratings have bombed, such a sad end to what was once a good show.

Old 24-09-2021, 10:01   #44
General Maximus
Ran Away

I have rated plenty of movies and tv series on imdb but this is the first time I have ever been motivated to rate an individual episode. I was so sick and tired of it that I got my phone, opened the imdb app and gave it 1/10.

Btw, I know J'onn is an alien and can fly but since when did he turn into Superman and be able to lift cranes up? Alex has also turned into Inspector Gadget and can literally do whatever the occasion requires as well.

8 more episodes to go. Lets see if they can get it back on track and give it a dignified ending.
Old 24-09-2021, 12:02   #45
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

According to DC Comics

https://www.dccomics.com/characters/martian-manhunter
Quote:
J’onn J’onzz of the planet Mars was accidentally transported to Earth, where he became one of its greatest champions under the moniker Martian Manhunter. Displaying a vast array of powers that can give even Superman a run for his money, the Martian Manhunter was a founding member of the Justice League of America, and has been a member of almost every incarnation of the League ever since. It has been said by many that J’onn J’onzz is the heart and soul of the League.

One of the last surviving members of his species, the Martian Manhunter wields such powers as the ability to shape-shift, telepathy, flight, invisibility, phasing, super-strength and Martian vision. His only weakness in an inherent fear of fire, which all Martians have. All of these abilities make him one of the most powerful beings on the planet.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote